flashover

Calling for Kotorikun!

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
LeslieFranc

flashover

Post by LeslieFranc »

((Cecil Salazar-Loveless continued from Perpendicular Reward Structures))

Cecil started it off as fast as he can. He put his foot down to that pedal full blast with all the speed he could muster and the rest of reckless abandon. He was energized and very eager, and even with the warm-ups and rests, something about his skin felt like it wants to claw its way out and push himself through the water even more to greater heights. He did all warm-ups very quickly, almost too quickly. He spent the recovery periods in restlessness despite the outward stillness before getting ready to complete the next rep.

It went like that for the first couple of reps, but then the beginnings of a collapse started to form. Only the beginnings: his arms started getting just a bit more heavier, his legs a little number, and his feel for the water starting to get looser. And worse: his rest also got shorter.

Getting past the first half, that’s when all the earlier zeal and effort is starting to catch up. He’s catching his breath to just get this one thing all over with, and once he reached the end, he only has a few moments to remember to properly breathe in oxygen and breathe out carbon dioxide before he gets ready to dive again.

By the last couple of swims, he’s already getting crushed. He could feel the connective structures of his body creaking in protest while the extensions demand to be set free, refusing to be felt by him anymore. His form is sloppy, technique becomes a mess, he’s breathing way too desperately, and that dread in his stomach once his recovery period is up frustrates him. He goes out there again, barely getting by, but he’s not drowning yet.

Like hell he’s going to drown.

He’s going to finish it no matter what it takes.

And he did.

He reached the end, he touched the above ground, and he lifted himself up to sit, his feet as the only part left underwater.

That was a rather rigorous set.

But before he could at least lie down for a bit, he realized that he hasn’t been alone this whole time when his eyes landed on the shorter brown-haired teen who’s been...Cecil supposes the boy’s been hanging out with him, but he’s not sure if he can say the same for Declyn, but it’s not like he’s gonna say that to his face. Yet.

Anyway, oh, Declyn’s here, I forgot about that.

But nonetheless, Cecil thinks Declyn is a nice kid. He’s pleasant enough, well, to be honest, way more pleasant than most of the students in this school, and not totally distracting. There are times when Cecil would actually pay full attention to him, and he’s...pretty endearing. Cecil honestly doesn’t have anything against him, but he’s still a bit confused on why Declyn decided that he should be friends with him. It’s not like Cecil is opposed to the idea of friendship, but he’s not good at that kind of stuff nowadays, nor does he even care for it anymore. But Declyn is still here, with his unassuming and not-pushy self. Everything about him is just good but vague.

Cecil’s a bit lost on how to deal with that. When a certain someone just suddenly barged into his orbit and established herself permanently, he didn’t even had a choice when it just came out of nowhere, but he let it happen anyway. And she proved to be one of the largest distractions he ever had to face. But Declyn? What’s he supposed to do?

Why is he here anyway? I needed to train for the upcoming competition, and he’s just...hanging around? I’m not sure if I can even properly rest with somebody watching.

He’s not sure if he can just ask him to go away though. Well, technically, he can, but he doesn’t want to for some reason. Weird.

Taking off the swim cap and goggles, Cecil takes a deep breath before fully facing Declyn with a casual but obviously tired smile.

He opened his mouth, but paused as if he did it without planning on saying anything he actually wanted to say.

In the end, he ended up asking, “So, how terrible was I?” with a humorous edge on his exhausted tone, perplexing himself when he processed what he just said.
Kotorikun

Post by Kotorikun »

Declyn could only stare in awe at the figure in the water in front of him.

He was sitting on the ground by the poolside, his legs crossed and shoulders slouched forward while his gaze was focused on Cecil. His fingers were mindlessly playing with the cover of his phone that was lying on his thigh, scratching it slowly with his nails, squeezing it slightly when it looked like Cecil was going to stop before he’d finish the rep. The hand relaxed when Cecil managed to do it. He made it look so easy in Declyn’s eyes, easier than it probably was. However that may be, Declyn was not a good swimmer by any means. Decent, at the least. He knew how to not drown and that was enough for him and had always been enough for a swim with his friends back at the lake near his old home.

He missed them.

And now he was sitting there, spending time with someone he didn’t know too well, but well enough to know that he did want to spend more time with him. Yeah. Cecil was smart, he was polite, a lot of times distant. It was the type of distance that made Declyn feel more curious about someone else and said curiosity had grown even more after working on a group assignment with him. But the most important part now was that Cecil was in good shape fitness-wise while Declyn was more or less a klutz at sports. It was something he had been trying to change and swimming seemed like a good start. Just let your body float, paddle your feet and move your arms, do it long enough and your stamina should increase. Right? That’s where he hoped Cecil would help him.

Declyn watched him come closer and he straightened his back, putting his phone somewhere behind him close to his shoulder bag. He was still wearing a blank t-shirt (with a pair of swim shorts) and had yet to go into the water. He thought Cecil might appreciate the space. Declyn also found it.... difficult not to compare his body to Cecil’s. He tried hard not to. So, this kind of sucked, but he knew there was nothing he could change at that moment, so he took off his shirt at last, pulling it over his head with his both hands before folding it neatly and placing it on one of the chairs. After giving his lower half a once-over, he turned around and moved back to the pool edge, crouching down to touch the water.

Cecil emerged.

At his small smile and question, Declyn felt himself smile back at him. How terrible? Hah.

“Hm. Well.... I did consider calling a lifeguard at one point.” He let out a soft laugh and sat down next to Cecil, letting his legs dangle in the water. He noticed his deep breaths which made him wonder if he was okay. Declyn figured it should be normal after doing that many reps. “I’ve never watched this close before. I don’t know any uhm, swimming terms but it looked good to me.” Declyn would like to give him a better report but yeah. “Maybe you can give me a few tips?”
[+] V7

ImageDeclyn Grayson-Anthis | aesthetics

last google search - "cool off on hot summer days help"
PREGAME – Past: 1 , 2 | Present: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 | Prom: 1 , 2
ISLAND - 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 ,9 , 10

ImageDane Lennox | aesthetics
last google search - "top ski resorts 2018"
ISLAND - 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6
V8
follow me on tumblr
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

Something that resembles a scoff escapes Cecil’s lips, his eyes averting away from Declyn and staring back at the water below him, although unfocused as if he wasn’t really looking at anything at all. His smiling expression, instead of being a display of contentment, seemed to be more of him using it as a neutral facade.

“Unacceptable,” he breathed out with a a straight face, before grinning. “If it ever came to a less than satisfactory point, you have my permission to let me drown.”

That was supposed to be a joke, although Cecil thinks that said joke felt like it was less to amuse Declyn and more for himself.

Hm, scratch that, no.

No, it didn’t felt like the joke was more for himself than Declyn, it just was.

He should get a hold of himself.

With that thought, he returned his attention back to his companion.

He coughed. “Nonetheless,” maybe his smile’s only bit more genuine, but his appreciation in being acknowledged definitely was. “That’s good.”

He still wasn’t looking directly at him, his head only turned slightly to his direction to show that he’s still paying attention. However, at the fact that Declyn mentioned about giving him tips, Cecil finally looked up with a startled blink.

“Tips?” he repeated. “Well, I suppose, but that depends on what exactly you’d want to work on. Speed? Endurance?”

Looking him up and down, Cecil’s surprised that he’s actually planning to get into the water. That’s his fault for the belated realization once his mind processed it, and expecting someone to also wear competitive swimwear like his jammers if they’re going anywhere near the pool. Not that he expected Declyn to be a poor swimmer or something, although he is slightly aware of the other boy’s struggles on anything physical-related. However, Cecil doesn’t have any plans of getting in the way if Declyn wants to improve himself, except he’s been asked to help.

He’s...not terribly opposed to helping, he’d admit.

My experience is more than enough, I’d think I’m qualified to give advice, but...

Cecil wouldn’t say he’s one of those swimmers who overspecialize on one thing and end up being rather useless when it comes to other skills. But if he had to admit it, he’s still predominantly a sprinter. He’s not terrible in long-distance, but not that good either— I should take care of that some time— but if it’s speed, then Cecil would be more confident. Endurance? He could try.

“Although, that’s competitively speaking,” he amended after a thoughtful pause. “But I’ll help with anything else, really.”

And he said it. Guess I’ll be actually helping him.

Now that he thinks about it, it could be good practice for him, too. Or maybe that’s an excuse. Cecil dismissed that last thought, filing it under the too late, does not matter folder in his mind.
Kotorikun

Post by Kotorikun »

Declyn had his arms wrapped around his stomach with one hand on each side, studying Cecil’s facial expressions curiously. They were difficult to make out sometimes, still interesting though. He didn’t want to stare too much and thus averted his gaze back to the water. For a short moment, his eyebrow quirked up at Cecil’s joke. Like, okay. That was kinda dark. And sad. It made him wonder if Cecil really did think so low of himself after doing the smallest mistakes. But hey, it was just a joke.

“I’d rather have the opposite. Opposite of letting you drown which is.... not letting you drown.”

A short pause.

“Your permission to save your life, basically!” He exclaimed softly and showed a sheepish grin. As if it would ever happen. One could tell that Cecil was an excellent swimmer, but you never know after all.

Declyn grabbed the edge of the pool, scooting closer to the water. It looked deep from up there, maybe deeper than it actually was. But his eyes were fixed on something else— something else being his own reflection. It seemed like his messy dark-brown hair decided to have its own life, so Declyn quickly raised his hand and tried to tame it by combing it with his fingers. It wasn’t too long, rather too short for his taste and just sort of all over the place. It wouldn’t even matter the moment he’d get into the water but it mattered to him right then. Satisfied with the result, he sighed quietly.

And then, Declyn dived in.

Feet first while he was holding his breath. A frown formed on his face when he was underwater and before he could sink any further, Declyn managed to swim up to the surface for air. His legs had already gotten used to the rather cold temperature before he had gotten in but the rest of his body hadn’t. So it wasn’t just his body that was swimming but also his head in particular. He looked up at Cecil with a somewhat dazed expression which changed into a small smile in less than about four seconds to show him he was okay and that he was happy about the fact that Cecil was willing to help him. The initial feel of dizziness seemed to be gone.

Maybe Declyn shouldn’t have skipped lunch earlier that day, but he had had a glazed donut for breakfast (among other things), and he had been trying to avoid any kinds of sweets, so not eating anything for the rest of the day sounded like a good idea to him.

He swiped some strands of hair from his forehead with the back of his hand.

“Endurance. I… I’m always out of breath too easily. It’s kind of embarrassing how low my stamina is.” To be fair, being part of the gardening club helped his body in a good way. He had joined fairly recently and was surprised by the amount of things you had to take care of, like watering all plants by yourself sure was something. Going back and forth, getting more water, clearing away some stuff here and there; it was enough activity for him.

He turned around, looking at the other side of the pool. One lap seemed manageable. Two? Probably. Three? Huh. Declyn found it difficult to calculate since he had never done this before.

“You know, if you think there’s anything I can help you with, please tell me.” He did some basic swimming motions to warm up while still staying close to Cecil. His movements resembled more those of a.... dog taking a swim in a lake on a hot summer day. “See it as a way of paying you back for helping me now.”
[+] V7

V8
follow me on tumblr
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

Cecil raised his eyebrows in surprise at Declyn’s retort to his “joke,” but quickly hid it with what was supposed to be a soft smile, and yet the corners of his mouth were already quirking up before he could realize it.

He said nothing, only tried to come off as amused with him and that statement before looking away.

And yet...

Cecil glanced back at Declyn.

There was just something about the way he said it, how ridiculously earnest it was, that might’ve touched me somewhat—

No. He realized that he really was a bit touched, simple as that.

There’s nothing wrong with appreciating something good like that, right?

Even if it was an unlikely scenario, and a though that he could just easily dismiss.

Observing his companion’s cautious movements before he just dived in, there was a brief moment of inward alarm between the moments when Declyn’s head was underwater and rising above. A small struggle, a dazed look that didn’t definitely help, and then a reassuring smile that did its job fairly enough.

Cecil found himself smiling back but quickly averting his eyes away, trying to focus on the matter at hand, which was helping Declyn with his swimming stamina. Right, he’s gotta give him the best ways to build his endurance for swimming.

It’s not his forte, but he’s not one to half-ass anything anyway.

“Well, in that case, I’d recommend practicing a stroke until you get the hang of it, since you are new to this,” he decided, almost distracted. He looked over the pool with a calculating gaze, then darting back to Declyn. “At least three of four laps?”

There are other possible things as well, like using a kickboard for leg endurance, closing your fists to improve arm strength, hell, there’s a whole training routine I could—

And he’s stopping right there. He shouldn’t get too carried away.

“There’s dry-land exercises and having to eat well, too,” he muttered out loud, blinking in surprise when he heard himself, but decided that’s a good tip either way, too.

And there it was again. Another earnest offer or promise for Declyn to help Cecil if a time ever comes. Again, Cecil thought he shouldn’t think much of it. Again, he was still endeared by it.

And again, you have to be reminded that you shouldn’t need any help.

A reminder to himself, in the form of his grandmother’s strict voice echoing in his head.

That didn’t stop him from letting himself smile fondly at him.

His earlier comment about not letting him drown, the genuinely grateful tone for his help, and now paired with him getting warmed up with a basic doggy paddle.

He could only say one thing.

“You’re cute,” he bluntly said then grinned, one that he just couldn’t help, one that’s fully genuine. “That’s well sweet of you.”

It’s ridiculous, really. But he’s a good kid, Cecil would say.
Kotorikun

Post by Kotorikun »

Declyn listened to Cecil’s instructions carefully after he stopped his movements and stayed in one place. The suggestion was swimming up to four laps but.... Declyn wasn’t so sure about that. It was nothing to Cecil, but to him, it seemed like a lot the more he thought about it after taking another look at the other end of the pool. Even though it probably wasn’t. He didn’t want to disappoint and it’s not like he couldn’t stop and use his last bit of strength to swim to the side to take a break.

At the mention of the importance of a healthy diet, Declyn felt a small forced smile tug at his lips. He pondered lying to him and telling him about a big lunch that had not happened but found himself throwing that thought away, saying nothing instead. No one knew about his food issue and he didn't plan on telling anyone. It was no one's business but his own. Declyn had seen how proud his dad was of him for losing weight and being back to a slightly more than average number. He didn't have to know how he had gotten there.

Declyn was about to ask him about practicing a stroke, but before he could, Cecil did that.

He called him cute.

Cecil had called Declyn cute.

And somewhere inside, Declyn was delighted and panicking and surprised and embarrassed and happy and— oh hey, let’s not forget to breathe. It was like someone had knocked over a bucket of bouncy balls in his body and now said balls were pushing all kinds of buttons. Declyn realized his head had been slowly sinking into the water up to the point where his nose had almost stopped being a reliable oxygen source. It was also the way Cecil had said it in such a genuine tone that made Declyn space out for a moment. People had called him cute before but those people were mostly family or the like, and this was different?

In his mind, he splashed water into Cecil’s face but restrained himself from actually doing it.

“Is....—Is cute code for some kind of swimming term?”

That’s all he could say, or ask. He thought about the possibility of it actually being that. Anyway, a 'thank you' sounded out of place to Declyn since he didn't view himself as cute and Cecil wasn’t particularly cute too, so a 'you too' wasn’t going to work either. A shade of red colored his cheeks and his eyes searched for something else to focus on.

"So! A stroke, right? Got it! I can do that."

And down the length of the pool he went. Declyn was still going to be able to hear Cecil if he were to throw out more tips and tricks. After a couple of dog paddles, he tried to recall Cecil's movements from before and tried to mimic them, trying not to think about how ridiculous it most likely looked. He started it off slow since there was no rush. Then again, he didn't want to make Cecil stay there forever when he possibly had other things to do at home or somewhere else. Arm stroke, leg kick, breathe, face down, gasp for air; it turned into a somewhat wonky breaststroke. Declyn was breathing more heavily when he was almost finished his first lap, mentally preparing himself for the others.
[+] V7

V8
follow me on tumblr
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

A simple compliment can mean a lot for somebody. Cecil knows how a single compliment from his grandparents is pretty much a rare God-given gem to him, so Declyn’s reaction to his is rather amusing, considering it’s more like a very simple and lighthearted comment. Declyn seemed to have short-circuited, but Cecil doesn’t need to be an expert to know that it was him that made him get all flustered like that.

That shit’s cute too.

He inwardly grinned, actually enjoying making someone react like that to something he said. A sense of mischief crept up from the back of his head, and he considered about teasing the boy more. The slight delight to that idea was undeniable, so of course Cecil had to clamp that thought back down.

He was briefly alarmed and worried when Declyn suddenly stopped making himself float and started sinking without noticing, but the boy seemed to have gotten ahold himself in time for a stilted reply.

Cecil’s chuckle mostly started from confusion and incredulity at Declyn’s response to being called cute, but the moment a sound came out he realized having a rather hearty and carefree feeling. He’s not sure what to think or feel about that. Definitely not used to it, though. He toned down what would’ve been laughing out loud to a small one. His words, on the other hand, were at a point where toning them down is too late based on Cecil’s code to always mean what he says. What does this little guy think he’s doing to me?

“Nope,” he replied calmly enough, but his eyes were bright and almost cheerful. “By cute, I mean cute. Cute means you.”

Should I be enjoying this? Making him briefly speechless was fun, but— Wait, is he blushing? Well shit, this is really fun—

Aaaand he’s dog paddling away now.

Too embarrassed that he wanted to get away?

This time, Cecil wasn’t happy with the fact that the first thought in his head about that was how amusing that was too.

He tries to call out some comments and suggestions as Declyn swims farther, but actually manages to refrain from saying something about what he assumes is supposed to be a breaststroke.

Soon, the corners of his mouth that’s always quirked up naturally slid down to a straight line, his eyes downcast as he lets Declyn work on it by himself once he realizes his voice won’t reach him by the distance.

What am I doing?

Cecil thinks Declyn shouldn’t be able to see him, and allows himself a short moment to be alone with his thoughts. And in came the doubts, whether he’s wasting time right now, has he even practiced enough, why should he even be here, don’t start half-assing this now, he should take responsibility for his decisions, how much time does he have left anyway, why the hell are you so relaxed right now, get up there and practice practice practice, there’s still so much to do besides this you know—

Tense muscles, hunched back, fingers gripping hardly at the edge of the pool, feet restlessly swinging underneath the water, deep sighs that scream out heavy burdens. Still so much to do after this, he remembered. He shouldn’t get too laidback.

But Declyn’s coming back to finish the first lap, and Cecil straightens up and plastered a casual smile.

He thought his form…could be better. But he could see he was trying his best at least. Nonetheless, there was that slight concern on what happens after a couple more laps. Cecil hopes Declyn wouldn’t push himself, which he admits is pretty hypocritical, but it wouldn’t do anyone any favors if Declyn gets hurt.

“You should slow down if you get too tired,” he suggested helpfully just as Declyn comes closer. “Or take a rest for couple of seconds in every lap.”
Kotorikun

Post by Kotorikun »

Declyn thought that Cecil might as well drown him right then and there with his bare hands if he was going to keep calling him cute. Just finish him. End him, though dying was the last thing Declyn wanted. It was just something he wasn’t used to, not when it was coming from a guy he wasn’t very close with and who was also — let’s be real — quite attractive. This kind of thought was something that had hit him not only once but a couple of times.

“So much…..” Declyn let out something between a soft wheeze and cough as he was closing the distance between him and the edge of the pool where Cecil was. Controlling your breath was one of the more difficult parts. “....water.”

No shit.

It was still better than doing any workout on dry land. His breaststroke was far away from perfect but he was trying and he wanted to give it all he got and he was going to burn so many calories so that the donut from that morning was not going to feel as big of a mistake as it did.

Declyn reached the end of the pool and met the wall, hand holding onto the edge. His eyes slid over to glance at Cecil’s expression.

“Can you show me how you did uhm, how you moved your arms again?” He rubbed a spot on his hand between his thumb and index finger that seemed to have stiffen up a bit. “You don’t have to get into the water.”
[+] V7

V8
follow me on tumblr
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

“So much…..” Declyn let out something between a soft wheeze and cough as he was closing the distance between him and the edge of the pool where Cecil was. Controlling your breath was one of the more difficult parts. “....water.”
Despite a twinge of concern for the boy, Cecil only brightly responded, “Welp, that’s water for you!” with a smile when he saw him already struggling from the first lap. He supposes he’s just not a swimmer. For now, at least.

Cecil eyed Declyn’s hand with a questioning glance, then back at Declyn who asked him about proper arm movement. Smiling kindly, he informed him, “I was swimming freestyle earlier, so the way I moved my arms is going to be pretty different.” He demonstrates his earlier arm movements, before switching to the proper arm movements of a breaststroke. “Now I thought you were doing a breaststroke, and this is how you do it.”

Inwardly, Cecil is reminded of the memorization drills he put himself up to after every lesson from an instructor or sources he searched himself. Arms forward, palms outward, sweep outside, palms downward, arms backward, arms inward—

Ah, his breathing technique needs some help, too.

He purposely pauses mid-demonstration. “It’s fine to just keep your head above water, but if it might work for you, you could inhale when your head’s out of the water at this position, then exhale when your head’s underwater,” he explained, demonstrating as he did so.

“But like I said, it’s up to you, since that’s just how it ifs in competitive swimming,” he said pleasantly enough, but suddenly frowns as a thought struck into his mind, which led him to doubt.

Have I been instructing in competitive levels?

Am I doing it right?

Does he understand what I’m trying to say?

I don’t think I’ve said any complicated terms anyway...

Wondering only to himself, he resolves that there’s only one way to find out how he is at teaching someone with swimming, and with a determined gaze towards Declyn, he stated, “I’m going into the water.”

And so he did, sliding into the pool with ease without bothering to take off the goggles around his neck.

He dived headfirst into the water, briefly enjoying the seemingly calm feeling of being underwater right before resurfacing again and facing Declyn.

“I’ll swim with you?” he offered, gesturing with his head towards the other side of the pool. “Just one lap again maybe.” What if I actually suck at teaching this? “Is that good with you?” No. I just have to not suck, that’s it. “I mean—“ he coughed awkwardly.

Mom mentioned that she wouldn’t have to sign Drew up for swimming lessons since I could just teach her.

“—it’s good practice for me, too.”

A pause, then impulsively— “Let’s make you a good swimmer,” he gets himself to grin at him. “And me a good teacher, maybe?” he tries to shrug nonchalantly, but he’s undoubtedly a lot more pumped.
Kotorikun

Post by Kotorikun »

The moment Cecil announced he was coming in, Declyn moved back to make more room for him. A soft splash of water caused him to blink and he wiped his face with the back of his hand.

Fact was, there was so much more to swimming than Declyn had thought. When it comes to competitive swimming specifically, or competitive sport in general if one were to look at it in a broader sense. No matter how he looked at it, it wasn't his domain and was never going to be. He preferred activities that strained his mind and not his whole body. He lowkey admired anyone who was determined enough though, determined enough to go through years of training, aiming for moments of fame, for the compliments, for their family's praise. Some were simply just doing it for the fun perhaps, which was fair enough.

Kudos to that, kudos to Cecil.

"I'm not going to stop you," he said, grinning back happily. "I appreciate it."

Having paid attention to Cecil's demonstration before, Declyn copied the movements for the breaststroke and realized he needed to work more on the position of his palms in order for his hands to not feel as tense as they did. A small achievement that made him feel a sense of pride. Some of that was interrupted by his stomach rumbling, a sound he had learned to ignore for the most part. Like, jeez, you'll get something soon enough, organ. Just be quiet.

"Seriously, thank you for showing me. Or, I don't know.... Thanks for being here with me." It felt very needed, this whole situation. Still, he didn't want Cecil to overdo his training.

So Declyn decided it was time for more fun and he did what he had stopped himself from doing earlier: he splashed Cecil with water.
[+] V7

V8
follow me on tumblr
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

Declyn thanks him again for helping him, and Cecil immediately opened his mouth to say something, thinking of along the lines of a "No problem" or "It's fine," but before he could even make out a word, a small yelp escaped his mouth instead, in response to Declyn's sudden attack. "Hey!"

Cecil didn't even think afterwards, his arm already moving to splash water back at Declyn. I call for retaliation. He immediately splashed him again for good measure.

He didn't realize he was smiling so widely, promptly pursing his lips when he did.

Okay, enough splashing.

"What was that for?" he then asked with a chuckle, before splashing him for the third time. Because he felt like it and he couldn't stop himself.
Kotorikun

Post by Kotorikun »

It all turned into a giggle fest.

Declyn held his hand in front of his face (or basically his arm at some point) in an attempt to block the splash, using his other hand to keep his balance. It was a surprise to him that Cecil was so much into it. A good surprise, one that made him feel happy and one that drove his mind back to good old times with his friends.

The giggle turned into mild coughing, nothing dramatic since it didn’t stop him from having a good time.

“Do we need a reason for everything?”

His lips were pursed for a moment while the corners of his mouth were still turned up in a smile. Declyn didn’t expect an answer. It was a just a thought he wanted to throw out there and whether or not Cecil wanted to muse about it, was up to him. If he had to choose a reason, this was for calling him cute and making him feel shy.

"Hey, how long have you been swimming anyway? Like.... competitively." He paused, rubbing his eye. "At this rate, you'll be able to participate in the Olympics in a few years. I can predict the future, trust me."
[+] V7

V8
follow me on tumblr
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

“Do we need a reason for everything?”
Cecil would like to think that everything has a reason. Reasons could be logical, valid or even stupid, but at the end of the day, there's something that drives a person behind their actions. Maybe it's just him, but the difficult part is when his thoughts wouldn't even let him figure out some things for himself, to dig deep inside for reasons, and it doesn't always end with him in a good place.

"I suppose not," he admitted. To think of one, anyway. At least not right now.

To not think too much is a luxury. He should just enjoy it.
"Hey, how long have you been swimming anyway? Like.... competitively." He paused, rubbing his eye. "At this rate, you'll be able to participate in the Olympics in a few years. I can predict the future, trust me."
And just like that, he starts to think. His thoughts started off innocently enough, almost fond, and his tone casual, almost monotone as he recounted his childhood memories.

"Well, I was ten, it was summer and Mom thought it'd be a great idea to sign me and my brother up for swimming lessons," he smiled wanly. "She was right. I enjoyed the feeling of being in the water."

It's when he remembered the rest that happened afterwards that his smile widened and became more forced. But do I enjoy it now-- He doesn't want his mood to sour so easily, so he tries not to let his mind wander like in his usual thought processes.

"Moms actually had a pool installed in our home immediately, and then my grandparents told them that they're already spoiling me too much," he tried to laugh sheepishly like it was nothing more than a funny memory to him. "I started taking swimming seriously after that, and next thing I knew, I'm already competing a year later."

There was an attempt of a shrug that he hoped came across as nonchalant despite his next words. How's being the best feel-- He shouldn't even dare to be bitter about anything in his life.

"Anyway, I've been told that when I chose to do something, I better stick by it," From his moms. "And when I stick by something, I better be the best at it." And then from his grandparents. "Although I don't think the Olympics is in my plans in the future..."

He grins, and while he didn't mean it, there was a hint of something sardonic in his manner. Although, it softened noticeably when he processed the last part of what Declyn said. A part of him was rather desparate to latch on a more lighthearted turn of the conversation, and therefore the weight of his thoughts.

"And you? How long have you been so good at predicting the future?" he asked playfully.
Kotorikun

Post by Kotorikun »

“My gran taught me.” Declyn replied with a proud smile and the same playful tone. “Well..... she got me into the direction at least. She was a very sciencey person.” His voice got quieter as he said the last part. “Comics did the rest.” He missed her. She was gone. And there was nothing he could do about it. Declyn hated these kind of unpleasant thoughts and often tried to shun away from them, feeling like he had mourned enough while at the same time wondering if he was being rude towards her spirit, soul or whatever. Not like he was devout like that by any means. It was something he couldn’t explain. At the end, she had almost been like a mother he had never had (and Cecil had two, how awesome was that?).

Time for more positive thoughts.

Because right now, Cecil had his full attention and he wanted to keep it that way.

“It’s nice to have this sort of encouragement on your part but uh, it’s okay not to be the best at everything. That’s what I think.” Despite it being pretty much impossible too. Of course, you can always strive to do your best, though being in a constant race sounded tiring.

Declyn’s face lit up at a sudden idea.

“Let’s make a bet. Let me predict more of your future.” He was going to give it some serious thought. “If I’m right, I win; if not, then you win. Is there anything you’d like to know?”
[+] V7

V8
follow me on tumblr
LeslieFranc

Post by LeslieFranc »

There was some sadness there, Cecil realizes when he listened to Declyn trail off about his grandmother. He noted the way he used past tense in referring to her, and Cecil got the idea, he could figure out that much at least. Declyn must've been fond of her. Well, he's pretty fast to recover. But then...

Cecil merely smiles blankly when Declyn said that "it’s okay not to be the best at everything" bit to him, but he didn't say anything back. A side of him is defensive, wanting to protest that it's not like he has to be the best at everything, just the things he chose to do, because that's the least he could do. Another side is pointing out that he might've missed a point somewhere in that line of thought, saying that Declyn's just as right. But he doesn't need both sides to wrestle right now, does he? So he decided to keep quiet, delay that thought in a later time and spare himself and potentially Declyn from feeling shitty if he ever opens his mouth before he even makes up his own mind about something.

Fortunately, the conversation finally swerved to a more lighthearted place, thanks to something Declyn suddenly thought up.

"A bet, huh? Okay," he chuckles with a nod. A bet about predicting the future, his future to be exact, and okay, he doesn't really take predictions of the future seriously, but hey, it's all just for fun, right? It's...it's okay to have fun. For now. So now he's gotta think of something he's not sure about in his future. He hums thoughtfully.

"It's not gonna be fun if it's something I've already figured out, right?"

Cecil already knows his own plans after high school, or what he's gonna be doing as a job for most of his life, and even when he's going to find out the identities of his biological parents. So what else? What happens after taking over the family business? What happens before graduation? He doesn't know the answers to those, which he supposes proves them as the perfect questions.

"Say, anything interesting that I don't know about gonna happen in the near future, then? Maybe before I graduate," was what he decided to go with, but he then continued on to say something more. "But if you don't mind making this bet last long-term, then how about what happens after...after I, well, let's say after I achieve my goals in life?"

After he does everything he needs to do, what happens after?

Shit, what happened about not taking this seriously? What are you even doing?

Return to “Memories from the Past”