Little Talks

A Seattle Elementary School - Open Thread

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
Cake

Little Talks

Post by Cake »

Kyran Dean - (Memories thread #1)

There was one thing on Kyran's mind today: Coco.

No, not the chocolate. Kyran hated chocolate. Coco was the name of Kyran's new beagle puppy that his mom had just adopted the day before. He couldn't wait for the school day to be over, so he could go home and take care of Coco again.

It was recess time and Kyran sat quietly, alone at his usual picnic table, daydreaming and observing the birds and other tiny members of the animal kingdom around his school's grassy playground area. Some of the other boys asked if he wanted to play kickball earlier, but he didn't feel like it today. He went to the school's library a few minutes ago and borrowed a book about all kinds of animals and another book about taking care of dogs. In fact, Kyran had the books already open on the picnic table so he could look at the pictures.

Kyran opened his bag and pulled out a Ziploc baggie of baby carrots that his dad said was healthier for you then what the other kids ate for snacks. He smiled as he crunched into one of the pieces, thinking about rabbits. Rabbits liked carrots, but mom said they liked other stuff too. His mom was smart, she knew a whole lot about animals. In fact, people even called his mom Dr. Angela Dean, because she was a doctor and her patients were animals. It was cool, so cool that Kyran dreamt about helping her and doing the same some day, even though his mom always told him not to touch anything. "Wait till you're bigger" she'd always say.

He was only four feet and half an inch tall. He'd have to wait forever!

The young boy sighed and pulled out a small drink. Orange soda was his favorite. He took a sip, savoring the taste for a bit and then took another.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Okay, fifteen in a row. Let's do it."

Claire was standing on the playground clutching the handles of a jump rope in her hands. She was trying to get better at jump roping, so she decided to spend recess focused on improving her skills.

Claire stepped over the rope to put it behind her. She breathed in, then began to lift the rope off the ground. She flipped it over her head and hopped off the ground.

"One, two, three, ack!"

A misstep caused her feet to get tangled in the rope. She adjusted herself to get ready to jump rope again.

"Okay, fifteen again."

Claire hopped up as she swung the rope over her head.

"One, two, three, four, five, eep!"

This time, the rope hit Claire's foot. She stumbled forward and fell to the ground.

"Ow, oh man, ow," she said picking herself up.

She quickly looked at her hands. No scrapes. Claire exhaled in relief. She wasn't very fond of blood, something that she saw a bit of in her dad's medical journals. Still, she was kind of frustrated with the jump rope.

"Okay. I'm done today."

She picked the rope up and carried it over to the equipment bin. Now she needed to find something else to do for recess. Maybe she would play hopscotch, or climb the jungle gym.

That's when Claire saw Kyran sitting at a table. She was sort of surprised by that. Kyran almost always seemed to want to play sports or other games during recess. Claire decided to see what he was doing.

She quickly walked over to the table Kyran was at and looked over his shoulder.

"Hey Kyran, watcha reading?"
Cake

Post by Cake »

[[OOC: Thanks Laurels! Sorry for the wait.]]

He always liked the taste of orange soda; that along with Sunny Delight were two of his favorite drinks. Kyran rested the can to the side on the surface of the picnic table and was about to return to his book when his classmate surprised him from out of nowhere's.

A girl!

The timid little boy looked over at his classmate and continued to stay quiet. It was Claire Monaghan, one of the most talkative of his classmates. His throat became dry and he was getting nervous, not knowing what to say to the taller girl standing in back of him. Kyran wasn't used to having conversations about stuff with people he wasn't closest friends with, even about stuff he liked, especially not with girls, especially really chatty girls.

He turned around and answered the best way he knew how.

He shrugged his shoulders.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Claire smiled at Kyran. He simply turned at her and shrugged. This sort of confused her. From what she knew about body language, a shrug usually meant uncertainty. Was Kyran saying he didn't know what he was reading? Claire decided to lean a bit closer and take a look.

"Ooh! Dogs! That's cool!" she exclaimed, climbing onto the bench next to Kyran.

"You know, my older brother is really into animals," she quickly said, flipping through the book. "He wants to be a vet, so he's always reading about dogs and cats and birds and fish and tigers and elephants and monkeys. He said that dogs can't eat chocolate or they would die. I wonder why that is. Dogs really love peanut butter though. They eat it up like crazy. They're always like 'Yay! Peanut Butter! Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum!' and then they just lick you like crazy cause they love you. Dogs are cool."

"So, why are you reading this? Do you want to be a vet too? Maybe you and my brother can open a hospital someday. My brother's really nice and funny, I'm sure he'd love to start one with you. Whadya think?"

Claire paused to let Kyran respond.
Cake

Post by Cake »

Kyran looked down at the picnic table in silence as Claire climbed in on the bench and sat close to him, too close, like almost touching kind of close. He kept his eye on the book and avoided eye contact with the girl the best he could... and then she went on and on and Kyran just had to look up and stare at her in awe. She had a-lot to say.

Claire was talking so fast that Kyran missed a ton of what she said, but what he did catch on to did spark some common ground. His eyes lit up once he heard the word "vet" and that made Kyran feel a little more comfortable talking.

"Really? My mom is a vet. It's so cool. I like taking care of animals, maybe some day when I'm bigger. If your brother's big enough, maybe he can work with my mom too."

Kyran quieted down, noticing that he was getting himself overexcited now. It wasn't usual when other kids talked about stuff like this with him.

"Mom said chocolate is poison for dogs. What's funny is: I don't like chocolate too and I just got a puppy named Coco yesterday. I like peanut butter better also. I sometimes eat it with celery sticks that my dad gives me for snacks. He says it's healthy."

The small boy smiled widely at Claire, revealing his tiny dimples to the girl. He had no idea she was going to be cool.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"You got a puppy? That's so cool. What's it like? A lab? A pug? A chihuahua? Is it brown, yellow, black?"

Claire was enthusiastic about this. They couldn't have any dogs or cats at her home. Her mother was allergic to animal hair, something that upset Claire and her siblings.

"Man, if I ever had a dog, I would hope to get one that has a big smile. I love how dogs pant and their mouths hang open in a way that makes it look like they're smiling. I think that's just super cute and fun to have around."

"So, can Coco do any tricks?"
Cake

Post by Cake »

"She's a beagle. Don't know about tricks. I just got her."

Kyran quieted down again, not knowing what else to say, being that sitting down and having long conversations weren't really his specialty.

Though, it was nice to know a little something more about one of his classmates, since likely they'd be going to school with each other for years to come. So far he knew that she had a brother who liked animals and wanted to be a vet just as much as he did. He wondered what else she did, or if they had anything else in common.

Maybe they could go to the swings and talk there as it was usually easier for him to talk when activity was involved. That was just something he'd grown accustomed to when playing with his brothers, due to his dad's stressing of the importance of being physically active. He put away his books and got up, looking toward the playground and the one surprisingly untouched swing set.

"Um, do you wanna play?"
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Okay! Sure!"

Claire noticed that Kyran was looking at the swings. She immediately realized what he wanted to do.

"Swings are fun. My dad does something really funny whenever my siblings and I would be on the swings. We'd be swinging on it, getting really high, and then he'd say something like 'Oh, I think I dropped my wallet over here' and then walk in the way of us swinging so that when he bent over, we could kick him in the butt. He would make the funniest noise whenever we kicked him, something like 'OOOOH!' or 'OW!' when he got hit."

Claire then looked back to Kyran, the back to the swings.

"Race ya to the swings!" she shouted before bolting from the bench over to the swing set. She hoped that all the time her dad made her and her siblings run around Centennial Park made her fast enough to beat Kyran.

"Booyah!" Claire shouted as she ran over to the set. She knew she would get there first.
Cake

Post by Cake »

"Cheater!" Kyran called out with a smile.

The young boy sprung from his still position and broke into a run, pumping his arms and legs forward to catch up with his playmate. Claire had gotten a head start running before he even knew they were going to race to the swings and she was also bigger and had the advantage of having longer legs than he did to help her run. Though that also meant she had more weight to carry.

It wasn't a fair race but still, Kyran felt he could out run her. After all, he was really good at running if P.E class and playing ball games with other kids during recess proved anything. It helped that his dad's job was something called an "athletic director" for some big kid school somewhere and his dad always made sure that he and his brothers would have daily exercise and play sports together or other fun games like Frisbee at Centennial Park.

Yeah, Kyran could beat her, 'specially cause he was a boy and a really active one too. Plus she runs like a girl!

Kyran could see Claire's back get closer and closer as he ran forward after her with the power of orange soda coursing through his veins.

It looked like she would touch the swings first until at the very last moments Kyran managed to zip ahead in front of Claire. Feeling quite satisfied with himself, Kyran turned around slightly to give her a celebratory wave.

The moment didn't last long however, as the next thing he knew, he was finding himself flying forward and sliding face first through the dirt. Kyran turned over and looked up at the swing set above him from the ground, feeling the tiny blades of grass and brown grime covering his face. He flushed in embarrassment, but as soon as he saw Claire Monaghan approach him, Kyran blew dust out from his mouth and grinned.

"Did I win."
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Claire released a mixture of laughter and panting as she ran over to the swings. Sure, she forced Kyran into an impromptu race to the swings, but she might as well try. It's Recess, the time to let loose before they had to go back in and learn about the Revolutionary War or something similar.

Aw yeah! I've got this. Faster than The Flash and Jesse Owens, I am Claire Emili-what!?!?!

Somehow, Kyran was running past her. Claire had no idea he was that fast. She always figured she was faster than most of her classmates. Her dad didn't make her and the rest of the family go on jogs on Sunday mornings because he wanted them to come in second place. Well, that and he didn't want them to catch heart disease, but still, Kyran was ABOUT TO GET TO THE SWINGS WHAT?

That's when she saw Kyran trip. He must have lost his footing, because he was sliding on the ground like Pete Rose sliding into home base. Claire began to slow down and approached the boy lying face up in the dirt.

Did I win?

"Uhh......"

Claire looked around the area, particularly at the two empty swings they were standing in front of.

"Not quite."

She then walked over to one of the swings and sat down.

"I just did. First to sit on the swings wins it all. Woo!"

Claire briefly raised her fist in the air. She then looked down at Kyran.

"Yeah, here, let me help you."

She got off the swing and held her hand out to Kyran.

"You hurt?"
Cake

Post by Cake »

What, he lost?

"Oh."

At least I'm still faster than you so, nyah.

Claire offered a hand for him, asking if he was hurt. Kyran looked around and saw a few of his other classmates playing nearby, one of them looking their direction. They must have seen him fall. He really didn't want to let them see him get helped up by a girl either.

Sure, he was technically hurt, but he was already quite used to getting small cuts and scrapes here and there from playing outside with his classmates and brothers so much. His dad always taught him that boys should just brush off things like that, because it makes them stronger. Boys were supposed to be tough he said, show no weakness. Only girls cried.

"No, I'm okay."

Kyran started pushing himself up, palms down on either side of him, rubbing more dirt, stinging in the scrapes of his hand. He stood up, dusting the dirt from the front of his pants and shirt. His mom would put up a fit once he got home, but he could deal with that later. He wobbled quite a bit and then steadied himself against the swing.

"I'm fine, see."

Other than a dirty face, no one would see the difference.

"Should really slow down and watch where I'm going." He said with a chuckle.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Kyran looked around as Claire held her hand out to him. He assured her he was fine and began to get himself off the ground.

Wow, he's tough. But I'm sure it wasn't that bad of a fall. It is loose dirt. Not sure how he's going to explain the dirt to the teacher though.

"Okay, well I'm glad you're fine. Now we know to not race over to swings, especially with this kind of dirt around them. Wonder what makes dirt like the way it is. I think there's a science about it. Anyways, let's swing!"

Claire immediately hopped down on one of the swings and began to thrust her legs in order to start moving.

"Bet I can get much higher than you! WOO HOO!"

Claire continued to swing towards the sky, laughing the entire time.
Cake

Post by Cake »

Immediately Claire hopped onto the swing and started moving, once again challenging Kyran to see which one could go higher.

For a brief moment, the little boy imagined himself swinging higher and just like their race earlier, he envisioned himself ultimately flying from the swing, through the air and into the dirt. By the time he returned from his day dream, another classmate had already claimed the second swing. Not that it bothered him all that much now, as he was sure he didn't have the energy to really swing after his tumble.

So he stood in back and watched for Claire to slow down a bit from her swinging.
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Wee! Wee!" shouted Claire every time the swing moved forward.

She continued to laugh as she got higher and higher on the swing. She turned to Kyran to see if he was any higher than her. But he wasn't next to her. Another kid somehow got on the swing and was now in the air next to her.

She quickly peered down and saw Kyran standing next to the swingset. She held her feet down and skidded against the dirt. She continued until she stopped moving.

"Hey, why aren't you on the swing?" she asked Kyran. "Do you want to do something else?"

Claire smiled. She hoped her enthusiasm hadn't worn him out.
Cake

Post by Cake »

"No, it's okay. I can push."

He went in back of Claire's seated position on the swing in case she said wanted that. All he really wanted to do right now, was talk to her as he pushed the swing.

"Does your dad take you guys to the park too? And um... what kinds'a stuff is fun for you?"

Return to “Memories (The Past)”