Improving La Pieta with a Geologist's Hammer

Open Thread; Late Junior Year

Here is where all threads set in the past belong. This is the place to post your characters' memories, good or bad, major or insignificant. Handlers may have one active memory thread at the same time as their normal active present-day thread. Memory one-shots are always acceptable.
Laurels

Improving La Pieta with a Geologist's Hammer

Post by Laurels »

Sophie McDowell found out about the volunteer event from Madame Blanc. Apparently, the school had noticed that quite a few of the murals were being tagged by some mischievous students. Rather than pay a service to cover it up, it was decided that some students could spend part of an afternoon covering a mural for some community service credit. Sophie was glad to have the opportunity to do a volunteer project that overlapped with her interests.

Sophie and several other students were gathered in the Electives Hall. The floors were lined with tarp, paint was lying in trays, and brushes were handed to all the students. For the most part, students would focus on specific murals and paint over any marks they saw. A fairly easy task for someone like Sophie, so she got to work.

She dipped her paintbrush in a small jar of blue paint and began the restoration project. Some idiot named Chaz thought he was cool to write his name on an ocean mural. Well, a few strokes would hide his name beneath the paint.

Sophie continued to brush away other names. Already, she felt like she could see the improvement to the mural.

"Man, I can't believe some people have such little respect for art," Sophie said to whoever was near her. "It's one thing to carve your name into your desk, but to disrespect hard work someone did to make the school look beautiful? That's just messed up."

Sophie continued painting, ensuring that not a single trace of anyone like Chaz could be found on the mural.
Slam

Post by Slam »

It was hardly unusual to see Dave Russell taking part in a volunteering event, especially one within Aurora High, and the fact that this particular one happened to be about painting made it like a second Christmas for Dave, one where his parents actually remembered to get him something.

The ocean mural that had been covered with the names of dozens of students made a lovely canvas for him and the other artists that were attending, brushes in hand and ready to add their own personal flavour to the piece. That was what what Dave was doing at least, as he painted a thick streak of jade green across another pointless name scrawled over blue background with a smooth stroke.

"I dunno, maybe they're just bored?" he replied to Sophie, fellow art club member and friend. "I mean, it sucks but I don't think they really think about it, you know?" He went on with a shrug, his tone making clear his interest in the painting rather than the purpose. He was taking the vandalism better than her.

He dropped his brush next to him, reaching down to his other side for two pots of paint. The green streak that smothered the name under it was working fine as it was, but why should he stop at just one shade? Every different mix could add a new colour to the sea across the wall, like it was actually flowing in front of everyone with moving colours. He contemplated the swimming mural as he poured a dash of green into the entire pot of blue, which swallowed and overpowered the new colour, leaving only the slightest hint that it had ever existed.

"I don't think it matters that much anyway, we're painting it again right?" He said as he reached for a clean brush to dip into his newly mixed pot, continuing his altered vision for the project that ensured it would never be the same painting again.

"So whatever," He said, turning to Sophie with a smile. "we'll just make it better this time around instead."
My V8 Relationship Thread!
[+] Dead V7 Kids
B035: LUCAS BRADY - Had Enough - 1 - 2 - 3- 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9
G002: ELISABETH "LIZZIE" LEBOWSKI - "You've been a great audience." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
Lucas Brady - Facebook!Lucas - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6
Elisabeth "Lizzie" Lebowski - "My parents told me to make a good signature, so I signed a note promising I would do it later." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

I dunno, maybe they're just bored?

Sophie turned towards Dave. He was a nice guy, kind of shaggy looking, but really dedicated to art and good causes.

I mean, it sucks but I don't think they really think about it, you know?

"I guess, but I feel like this is something only a crazy person would do, like that guy who attacked The Night's Watch with a knife. It's a real Tyler Durden level of insanity."

Dave then brought up that painting over the graffiti negates the vandalism.

"Yeah, that is true. No longer will, uh, Fresny -does that say Fresny?- tarnish this mural," said Sophie as she tried to identify one particular signature.

So whatever, we'll just make it better this time around instead.

Sophie smiled.

"We are freshening this up, in a way. This is an old school building, might as well try to make it as vibrant as possible."

Sophie continued to brush over the names with the blue paint on her brush.

"I mean, look at this mural. It totally encompasses how awesome the Pacific Ocean is, and how fortunate we are to be near such an impressive body of water. The ocean should look grand, with the sunlight reflected in the blues and greys of the water. Even Elliott Bay can look like this during a nice Summer day."

Sophie dipped her brush in the paint jar again.

"We got to make sure the students stand in awe at the beauty of nature."
Slam

Post by Slam »

Dave shrugged. Sophie was going on about names that he couldn't recognise and the beauty of Elliot Bay that he couldn't sympathise with, at least not in the way she was talking about it. It was just a school mural as far as he was concerned, and the chance to repaint it was a fun thing to do. If he had put any thought into it before he signed up, he'd have realised he really couldn't find any other reason to help out outside the painting.

Never the less, he was enjoying the chance to talk to Sophie whilst brushing greener shades of paint every few seconds onto the blue ocean mural, stopping in between to mix the colours together a little more. It had been a fortnight now since him and Lana had broken up: they had got together one afternoon to just realise they didn't have anything anymore and he hadn't really talked to anyone since, not without a reason to anyway. He couldn't really remember who'd suggested they stop seeing each other first, though the decision had been a mutual one, but a part of him was certain that Lana had made the first move, and that she was right to do so. In hindsight, given how busy he'd always been, he'd been pretty selfish about the whole relationship. Talking to Sophie was a nice change of pace from festering over it.

"So Soph, how's stuff going for you?" Dave asked as the two painted. From their past small talk, Dave knew that she had a lot of other hobbies besides art, unlike Dave's much more narrow range of interests, so she'd probably have plenty to talk about. She was a fun girl, and he'd like to share a good laugh.
[+] Dead V7 Kids
G002: ELISABETH "LIZZIE" LEBOWSKI - "You've been a great audience." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
Elisabeth "Lizzie" Lebowski - "My parents told me to make a good signature, so I signed a note promising I would do it later." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

Sophie continued to brush over some of the names on the mural. With a simple stroke of blue paint, names were erased from the mural, and art remained. Sophie began to hum a Carrie Underwood song when Dave asked about her life.

"Oh, quite a bit. Got a few things coming up. I plan on playing at One of a Grind's Open Mic night later this week. I really enjoy working there, and fortunately I'm not working that night, so I can step on stage and play. Still unsure of what to play. Currently a tossup between an acoustic version of Katy Perry's 'Teenage Dream' or an acoustic version of 'Barracuda' by Heart. Sort of leaning towards 'Barracuda'. Just a bit more different than people are used to."

"You know that song right? Dun da da Dun da da Dun da da Dun da da Dun da da Dun da da Dun da da Dun da da Dun da da Dun da da Dun da DUN DUN. DUNNNNNNNNN. Yeah, that part actually is pretty cool to play acoustically."

Sophie dipped her paintbrush in the can and covered someone's name up.

"Other than that, mostly just some family stuff. My brothers will be home from college soon, so we're getting the house ready. How about you? Anything neat going on in your life?"
Slam

Post by Slam »

"Yeah, yeah, I know the song." Dave said, wincing. Barracuda was one of his Dad's favourites, despite not even being a sixties song (but try telling him that), so it was one that Dave had heard dozens of times over and over, much to his chagrin. "Go with the other one, Katy Perry." Katy Perry wasn't someone he'd listened to outside the occasional radio track, but as long as it wasn't another grating rock and roll song it had to be the better of the two.

"But family stuff, not much going on." He said, going back to painting various tones of green on the blue, having lost focus on covering up names and now just painting wherever he felt like. "Only child, parents are out on one of their vacations again so I'm home alone right now." They were off to see Nebraska this time whilst Dave was left to fend for himself. "Anything neat though? Nah, nothing cool happens to me." He said, chuckling at himself. "I was dating this Lana chick for a while until like a few weeks ago, but it didn't work out so, that's pretty much it at the moment." That was as interesting as Dave Russell got, just a guy who painted, helped some people and got dumped every now and then.

"How bout you Soph? Any nice guys in your life these days?" he said with a teasing grin, looking away from the painting again. "Any boys for Soph McDowell, queuing round the block?"
[+] Dead V7 Kids
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Good idea. If you do something acoustic, you remove the additional junk studios add to songs. I bet 'Teenage Dream' is a song that could benefit from being a bit more natural."

Dave then mentioned that his parents were on vacation, leaving him alone. Sophie never really had that sort of issue at her home. Even if her mom was busy, her Dad would be home at six, or her brothers would feed her and the girls.

Dave then mentioned seeing a girl named Lana. Sophie was pretty sure she knew that girl. Lana Torres? There aren't many Lana's in Aurora. Sophie wasn't close to Lana, but she was surprised that she didn't know Dave liked her.

Then Dave asked about her own relationships.

"Sorry, there's no queue of guys around the block, waiting outside the McDowell home with dowries of silk and cattle. Yeah, no guy has really piqued my interest as of late. Kinda uncertain about it. How do you really know if you want to approach someone? How do you determine if they are worthy of your affections?"

Sophie continued painting over some graffiti.

"Oh well. I'm sure I'll find a guy eventually."
Slam

Post by Slam »

"Nah, I don't believe that Soph" Dave said, still grinning at Sophie. "I bet there's all the guys out there that you just haven't seen, all wanting to get to know Soph a little bit better, if you catch my drift."

He laughed; talking to Sophie really was cheering him up, even given the subject matter that the conversation had somehow led to. Whatever the reason, it was distracting Dave enough for him to put down his brush and face Sophie straight on.

"See the thing about it is, when someone likes you you totally just know, you know? And if you like them back, then you just know that too, right?" he nodded at himself as he kept dispensing his wisdom. "So someone's worthy of you if you totally get that vibe from them. Love beams and all that sixties stuff." At least that's what his parents had always said when he was trying to grow the balls to ask out Lana. Whatever you thought about Dave's parents, they were still happily together after eighteen years and had the experience that went with it.

"So there's someone out there for everyone, cause everyone has someone who they like and likes them back." He continued, waving his paint brush about as he made points and splattering green specks onto parts of the mural that hadn't even been defaced. "So yeah, eventually you'll get someone. It's all about faith, and waiting for miracles, and lovey things..." He paused, bringing the brush up to his chin in thought, painting himself along with it.

"At least that's how it was for me and Lana."
[+] Dead V7 Kids
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
Laurels

Post by Laurels »

"Yeah, I'm sure there are guys in the shadows trying to get the nerve to ask me out," Sophie said in response to Dave's comments about suitors.

Dave then mentioned that people tend to feel certain emotions when they meet someone they fall for. Sophie believed that's how most relationships worked. She was still waiting to get hit by the bus of passion though. But Dave seemed to have a good idea on what it means to fall in love.

"That's really sweet, Dave. I'm sorry it didn't work out with Lana. I'm sure that now that you have felt this way, you'll be able to realize your true feelings for some other girl. Who knows, maybe Lana was a test run, like Cupid wanted you to understand these feelings and familiarize you with them. Then, when some other lady comes along, you can feel them again and know how to approach her."

"Man, this would be good stuff for a song. I need to try more original song writing."

Sophie then stepped back from the mural. For the most part, it looked like all the graffiti was gone. A quick scan confirmed that the ocean mural was clean of all tags.

"Well, looks like this mural is done," she said, wiping her forehead. "I'm going to see if we can cover anything else up."

Sophie gathered some of her supplies and went over to the adviser. After a quick confirmation, she returned to Dave.

"Looks like this was the only one we were working on. Just have to put these supplies back and we can go. It was nice talking to you, Dave. I hope you have a nice day."

Sophie returned to the art room with her supplies, making note to wash her hands to get the green and blue off her skin.

((Sophie McDowell continued elsewhere))
Slam

Post by Slam »

Dave smiled and waved Sophie off as she left, calling out a 'seeya' after her. It had been a fun project, even if it hadn't lasted long at all. He turned back to marvel his and Sophie's work: the blue sea covered in green streaks looked pretty good to him, but when the sun shone in through that window just right then he could see how it had all turned out for real, and with any luck that would be awesome.

He dipped a thin brush back into the paint. He felt better now that he'd had a chance to air his feelings out to Sophie; she was a good listener and it had been great to get it all off his chest. Giving her the advice on her own love life too had been pretty fun; hopefully she'd find that special someone soon enough. He hoped that everyone would get to experience what he had with Lana once in their life, in the end of it all.

Adding one last touch to the mural, he turned around to return his own supplies to the closet, casting one last glance behind him at the work he'd spent the hour on.

Dave Russell + Sophie McDowel

((End memory))
[+] Dead V7 Kids
[+] Pregame Shenanigans

Return to “Memories (The Past)”