Talons

When it comes, it will feel like a kiss...

The water treatment chamber is the largest of the three intensive care rooms. Cold and uninviting, it has a tiled floor and partly tiled walls with a few drains to ensure any spillage can be easily handled. Multiple metal tubs are spread throughout the room, some of them flipped onto their sides or overturned to assist in draining, others left sitting flat. All of them, however, are covered in grime, and a number still have murky water floating in them. In the back of the water treatment room, through some heavy doors, is a shower and changing area for the doctors and nurses tasked with administering the treatment. Despite featuring a couple of wooden benches and hooks to hang clothes on, it is as unwelcoming as the rest of the area.
ItzToxie

Talons

Post by ItzToxie »

(( Jonathan Gulley, continued from No Rest for the Obsessed.))

Jonathan Gulley knew he was as good as dead. There was no point to leave, but his body wouldn't listen to him, it was on auto pilot. His mangled body slid along the wall, leaving a smear of blood as it drug itself across it. His entire left side was destroyed by the fall, his arm was dislocated, and he was pretty sure his leg was broken... It hurt his chest to breath on that side, his eye was gone as it had been for so long, and now he was pretty sure he couldn't hear out of that ear, there was a feint ringing in the other.

His right arm was dragging him along, holding the railing with the machete between his fingers. It wasn't a good grip, and he found himself falling multiple times, but it was the only thing guiding him at this point. He saw a doorway to a dark area, and thought it best to hide there.

Hide from what? He wasn't going to survive the night. He wondered why he couldn't just be dead now, why? Everything's been thrown at him, and he's still here. Why couldn't anyone finish the damn job?!

He took one step down into the basement, and tumbled all the way down the stairs into the murky waters below. He laid under the water, his body not moving. His lungs protested for air, but he ignored it. He would choose to end this himself... He would...

He would just pop his head out of the water and gasp for air, wouldn't he? He was tired of this. He was tired of running, and tired of pretending he had any actual value whatsoever. He was tired of the fact that even though he wanted this to end, something gnawed at him, it wouldn't let him. Why? Let Min Jae win... You know what? He deserves it. He worked hard to kill everyone he saw and hurt his friends and... He deserved to be alone. That was his special place in hell, let him win, let him realize what it feels like to be a winner. Give up Jon, you're finished.

His arm pulled himself up by another railing. He wouldn't though. Even if he wanted to, he wouldn't let himself. He would hold on until it was over, and that was that. He could at least try to fix himself, he realized.

He looked at his left shoulder, and a nearby wall... Even if he was probably going to die, he wanted to take Min Jae down with him, and he couldn't do that with one arm.

This was probably going to hurt worse than everything else that's happened to him, combined, and he wouldn't get the luxury of going unconscious to avoid it this time.

Jon took a deep shaky breath, and forced his arm into the wall. In return the wall gave a loud whacking sound that was only half as loud as his screaming.
backslash

Post by backslash »

((Min-jae Parker continued from No Rest for the Obsessed))

The longer that he followed the blood trail to the asylum, the more Jae was baffled that Jon could even still move. He certainly hadn't looked like he would be moving ever again when Jae looked down on him from the top of the tower. There was more blood on the ground that he had initially thought, too. He half-expected to find Jon collapsed somewhere along the trail, having given in to his injuries at some point after dragging himself away.

But no. Of course things couldn't be easy. The spots of blood led into the building and to a stairwell that Jae hadn't ventured down before.

Not that he needed them much now, given the scream that echoed up out of the basement as Jae approached the stairs.

He could wait it out. Jon would die. He had to die. He was only human.

The natural order of things had been upset ever since Jae first woke up here, though, and it was hard to trust even nature to do its job at this point.

Jae flicked the rifle's safety back off and began his descent into the flooded darkness.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Jon continued to ram his shoulder into the wall over and over, the pain driving him insane. Pops and cracks of his shoulder mingled with the smacks of the wall, the screams and grunts of Jon.

With a sound rivaling the noise he made falling from the bell tower, an intense pain flooded Jon, and he slid to the floor. He raised his arm, and moved his fingers. His shoulder was on fire, but his arm worked, for now. He took a deep breath, listening to nothing but the silence, and the ringing that was probably never going to leave.

He didn't have much of a breather, due to nearby footsteps, and the fact that Jon knew exactly who they belonged to. He slowly raised his arms above his head, grabbing the railing behind him with both of his arms, his left one burning in protest. He slowly pulled himself up, and putting his weight on his legs.

He put too much on his broken one, and it snapped right under him. Jon screamed through closed lips, muffling a mixture of anger, pain, and pleading. He dropped to the ground again, and slowly pulled himself back up. His arms and working leg dragged him along the wall, his broken one sliding behind like the tail of a slug.

He looked behind him, and saw Jae going down the steps.

Jon ducked into a nearby room that smelled of death and something else. He hid behind the corner of one of the doorways, machete ready.
backslash

Post by backslash »

There was a sliding, shambling shape moving through the darkness of the basement. Jae sensed it more than he saw it as he stepped down into the layer of water that covered the bottom of the hallway.

He moved to slide his bag off his shoulder again, intending to leave it on the stairs, but reconsidered. It wasn't slowing him down much, and he didn't want to stumble over it if he needed to leave the basement quickly. And if Jon kept stubbornly refusing to die, then Jae might end up needing more than the rifle.

Jae stood indecisively for a moment, chewing his lip in frustration. God, he was trying to figure out the perfect set up to kill someone who was probably dying anyway. He could have sighed, and he wasn't even sure at what.

Whatever. Dead's dead, however you go about it.

Jae pushed past the questions nagging at him and made for the room that he thought the shape had disappeared into.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Jon waited for the footsteps to come closer. He lowered himself as best as he could with his messed up leg. Each step was coming closer behind him.

Jon knew he wasn't going to win this, and he knew he didn't want to anyways. What he didn't know was why he was still here, still holding on. It was something itching at the back of his head for a while now. Why'd he keep doing this? What was the point of it?

Jon was sure he'd never find the answer at this point, especially because Min Jae just walked in the door. Jae would turn around at any time, and it would be the end of it. Jon was weaker than him, and more injured, he couldn't win this. He couldn't...

Unless he whittled him down first.

Jon crouched low and remembered Jae's bad knee. At the very least, he could even things up for the moment.

Jon lurched forward, and slashed the back of Min Jae's knee open.

He didn't stay to hear him scream or rage, instead choosing to slither out like a spectre through the doorway, moving to the next room across the hall. Min Jae wanted to hunt him?

Then he would have to find him...
backslash

Post by backslash »

Jae knew he had made a mistake as soon as he heard something sloshing through the water behind him. He shrieked as a line of fire cut across the back of his injured knee, staggering. The splint kept his leg underneath him, but it felt like it wanted to buckle, blood already soaking into the torn fabric of his jeans.

Jae jerked the rifle around and fired in the direction the attack had come from. The shot ricocheted off the heavy metal door, and underneath the ringing of his ears in its wake, he could hear retreating footsteps.

"You-" He couldn't think of what to say. The painkillers he had taken before leaving the bell tower were barely effective against his numerous wounds as it was, and this one felt worse than anything Jon had inflicted on him before.

Eyes stinging with angry, pained pinpricks of tears, Jae lurched out into the hallway after the shape of Jon's mangled body, firing again.
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Jon slid through the doorway, ducking to the right as a bullet slid right by him. Jon's suspicions were confirmed. He was in fact deaf in his left ear, considering how close the shot was, and the fact he only heard it from one side. Kind of sad he needed to be shot at to realize it, but there we go...

He decided to taunt Jae, to make him come to him. "Hurts, doesn't it!?" He ducked down, and started moving towards a pair of nearby lockers, staying low. His foot kicked something odd, and he reached down to pick it up. It looked like a knife, covered in some sort of gel... Was that an eyeball? There was something familiar about it, but Jon threw it to the side. He felt like he wouldn't get much use out of it.

He called out again. "How's it feel Min Jae? You like getting hit when your back's turned, you fucking coward?!" He continued to crawl low, watching out to make sure he doesn't mess his leg up worse than it already is. He couldn't stumble now. One second's mistake could end it all for him.

"Follow my voice! You're not scared of me are you?!" He yelled out, waiting for his target. He would lie low, strike Jae, and move somewhere else. Rinse and repeat. Brendan never deserved what happened to him, and Jae deserved everything that comes his way because of what he did. Once this was over, Jon would find a nice quiet place to lay down and die in, maybe tell Alba on the way there. But until then, he was here, and he wasn't going to let it all end this easily.

"What's taking you so long? Should I stand out in the open facing away from you? Would you actually be able to finish the job if I did?! Michael was right! You ARE bitchmade! Bet you used your friends as shields when they died too!"

Jon had finished taunting, and lowered himself, moving positions again. All he was going to do now was wait.

Come on you son of a bitch, you're gonna get it now. You're gonna feel the pain this entire island felt before you pass on.
backslash

Post by backslash »

"...Michael?"

Huh. You know, Jae had almost forgotten about him. It all came back in an instant, though, that cold spike of hatred. Of course Michael would have gone strutting off, bragging about how he totally won that encounter when all he did was scare off Alessio and threaten to kill someone Jae cared about. Of course Jon bought it wholesale. Jon was nothing but a parasite, leeching off of people with more substance than he had. He could have killed Jae right after Jae shot Brendan, but instead he had to play some kind of game, prove he was some kind of badass like Michael's whole crew thought they were. Look where pretending to be something you weren't got you.

"I guess Michael would know all about using my friends as shields since that's exactly what he did when I saw him, the piece of shit. Did he tell you that part? How he hid behind Asha and then threatened to put an axe in two people who hadn't done shit to him because I wouldn't play to his ego?"

Jae bared his teeth in a savage grin, though there were still tears in his eyes and a snarl in his voice.

"I should have shot him in the mouth, that would have shut him up! I wish I had! He was nothing but a fucking lying coward who couldn't back it up, and you bought it! Would have saved us both some trouble if I'd killed him when I should have!"

He caught a movement somewhere ahead and pulled the trigger again.
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Jon turned the corner and slashed down at Min Jae as he tried to shoot him. The bullet missed, and Jon's machete collided with the gun, knocking it out of Min Jae's hands. He slashed again, and Jae fell to the ground, narrowly missing getting his guts cut out of him. Jon poked the rifle with his machete, and slid it behind him, out of Jae's reach.

"He died so Alex wouldn't hunt me down too, for all the good that did, you don't know shit!" Jon wasn't angry at this point. He was... eccstatic, now, a large grin forming on his face, even if Jae tried to smile through it, he saw he was hurting him now, and it felt great.

He'd taken something from everyone he met. He wanted to do the right thing by Barry, he wanted to bring some justice to the dead like Michael, he learned how to hurt people from Alex,he wanted to atone for his sins like Brendan, he learned what fear was from Alessio, and he learned how to fight those fears like Coleen... Now it seems he's gone and taken his hatred from Min Jae.

"Bet it hurts you though... Bet I hurt you telling you that. You lost everyone because you're worthless, so you took it out on others. Your friends all died because you failed, so you wanted others to feel the same way? That's why Brendan had to die right?"

"Are you afraid Jae? You should be... All the people I've met, and the shit I've seen, the pain I felt, the pain they felt, I'm tired of holding onto it... I'm going to give it all to you."

He drug himself forward, disappearing behind the lockers again, circling Jae like a shark.

"How many ghosts are on your shoulders? How many people did you kill, how many people did you watch die? I've got a lot, and I can name them all, what about you? I bet you tried to repress it, you want to forget don't you? Or do you just want everyone to feel like you? There's nothing you can do to hurt me, but I can do everything to hurt you... You're selfish Jae, you're selfish and you're a coward, the biggest coward I've seen, and that's saying something, considering I made Alessio beg for his life... Get up."

As Min Jae got up and tried to catch his bearings, Jon leaped out from the shadows and struck, sending a slash along his back. Jae fell again. He tried to get back up and turn around, but Jon was already gone back into the shadows.

"You know it's easier to buy something from someone who died to save you, then it is to believe some bullshit from someone too scared to look someone in the eye when they killed them. You're funny, you know that? You called him a coward, yet here you are, you're all alone, shaking in those cheap boots, because you're afraid of some crippled fucking twink with half his face blown off ,because you killed someone who'd done nothing to you. You're scared Jae... You were scared in the solitary confinement wards, you were scared at the bell tower, and you're scared now. You should be too."

Jon struck again, and again Min Jae was forced into the ground, another mark tattooed on him from Jon's machete.

"It's not fun when you're the one who doesn't see it coming is it? Unlike you I looked the people I killed in the eyes, I didn't run away like you. I was there, I saw them die, like I saw the ones close to me die... You probably didn't even watch your friends go did you? You probably closed your eyes and hoped it was a bad dream, that it will all be over soon... Hah!"

Jon limped out of the shadows, and stared Jae down. He was tired of this, and he wanted it to end, one way or another.

"One way or another, you're going to see this... You won't be able to walk away without finishing it this time."
backslash

Post by backslash »

"...God. Shut up."

Jae stopped listening to Jon's rant a few sentences in, seeing as how not getting himself chopped to pieces was a bit more of a priority. None of what he was saying fucking mattered anyway. He could taunt and act like he knew what Jae had been through, like he was somehow better because he had stabbed someone in the front, all he wanted. It wasn't going to change anything. Jon was nothing and nobody, and he always had been.

He had lost the rifle somewhere in the cold, murky water and didn't have time to try and find it. As he forced himself back to his feet, he pulled Dorothy's knife from his belt.

"If you're going to actually do something, do it." Big words for someone who was possibly bleeding to death already. His voice was flat, quiet. There was a buzzing in his ears and fingertips.

Did he care if he died? He wasn't sure.

But if he died here, now, to Jon, that would be his legacy. The villain in some nobody's story because they had decided that they got to choose who and what he was.

There. There was his spark again, maybe the only thing keeping him standing. There. Don't die yet.

"Well?"

Or if you have to die here, die spitting and clawing and make him hurt.
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

"Well?"

Jon bared his teeth and shot forward raising his machete above his head.

There was no more point in talking, no point in drawing it out any longer. Jon would make his mark on Min Jae one way or another. He would end this, one way or another. He would show the world that he wouldn't take it anymore, one way or another. Jae would fall, then soon after Jon would, and he was okay with that.

You wanted this to end Jon? Well you better get ready, because it's coming faster than you think, and it's closer than you think.

Jon hissed as he shot the blade down, ready to split Min Jae's head in half.
backslash

Post by backslash »

Maybe this could have been comical somewhere else, two weak, exhausted people trying to act like either could really have the upper hand. A crazed, mangled boy rushing someone nearly a foot taller than him and trying to talk down to Jae like he was some kind of badass. Out to cut down the boogeyman and avenge his friends and limp away victorious.

But that's not how any of this worked.

Jae made a grab for the machete. It was a mistake.

The blade's momentum didn't stop as instantly as he thought it should have. It came down between his fingers and cut into the meat of his left hand, sinking all the way down between the knuckles of Jae's middle and ring fingers, where it stuck. Jae's scream echoed in the dark, flooded hallway as he lashed out with the knife in his other hand, feeling it slice in before jerking away.

The machete was wrenched out of Jon's grip rather than dislodging from Jae's hand and he dropped the knife, grabbing for the machete's handle. Metal ground against bone in a way that would have set Jae's teeth on edge if he wasn't already yelling out in pain. Scraps of flesh clung to the blade as it finally pulled free.

Jae didn't think, couldn't think, blinded with pain, and he saw the shape of Jon lurching towards him again-

Jae met him halfway and drove the machete into Jon's stomach as they collided.
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Jon felt the machete catch in Jae's hand, with a blade slicing along Jon's chest in return, forcing him to let go of the machete.

Regardless of the wounds across Jon's body, he felt great. He felt great after all this days of failing and messing up everything. He felt great after losing everyone he cared for. He felt great that he finally got to give someone his pain, the pain of the ones who died, and the pain of the ones who lost. He felt great that the recipient for it all absolutely deserved it.

He kept moving forwards, ready to force Jae to the ground and drown him in the filthy water below. His arms outstretched he brought himself towards him, ready to wrap his hands around Jae's throat. Jae had ducked below and dragged himself forwards, and then Jon felt it. Jae pushed the blade into his gut, forced it deeper, then pulled up, looking Jon in the eye.

Jon's eye widened in shock, his body going into convulsions and blood forced itself out of his mouth. Jon's hands wrapped around the handle as he looked down at the blade jammed into him. This was it.

It's over.

You lost Jon.

You're finished. Give up.

You have nothing left to fight him with. He won.

Jon looked back up and stared in Min Jae's eyes. This couldn't be it... Not like this, not this fast... Jon survived everything, even a bullet to the brain couldn't kill him, a-a-and it was just over, like that? He tried his hardest to hold on, he couldn't let Jae get away that easily.

Jon tried his hardest to focus, but it was all fading away so fast. This was it. He was done...

B040- Jonathan Gulley- Eliminated

Then again, has dying ever stopped him before?

Jon's eyes widened as his arms reached out, digging his nails into the flesh on the sides of Jae's head. He forced himself deeper on the blade to get closer, but he dragged Min Jae to him. He screamed as he opened his mouth, clenching his teeth along the gash on Jae's face, the taste of his iron mixing with the taste of Jae's.

"I'll kill you! I'll fucking kill you!"

Jae's screamed heightened in intensity as Jon tore his head away from Jae, chunks of meat stuck in Jon's teeth. Jon snarled as he pounced, forcing Jae to the ground as Jon brought his fingernails across Min Jae Parker, slashing his face left and right. He could feel the pressure of Jae pushing at the machete in his gut, but Jon didn't falter, he couldn't feel anymore form of pain at this point.

"Die, die, die! Just fucking die already!"

Even if Jon couldn't kill him, he would make him remember him, and remember everyone he hurt. Jae would feel the pain of one hundred dead classmates before he climbed out of this room.
backslash

Post by backslash »

Jon dragged Jae down to the water-covered floor, shrieking, clawing, and biting the whole way-

Jae was beyond crying out with pain, everything fucking hurt and he didn't care anymore, he just wanted to get out of Jon's grasp-

The gash on his face had ripped open again, bandages torn away, his fucking hand was split open to the bone-

His hand. Thrashing in the water, Jae's hand brushed the rifle. He couldn't get a grasp on it properly, couldn't make his fingers close-

Jae drew back as far as he was able and then slammed his forehead into the center of Jon's face, blacking out his own vision for a moment as pain shot through his skull. Jon's grip on him flagged just enough for Jae to wrench away and grab the rifle with both hands, swinging it like a club into the side of Jon's head.

Jon's entire body jerked as the rifle cracked against his skull, and then he flopped limply back into the water.

Jae fell back, gasping.

There. It was finally over.

Jae edged away, loosely clinging on to the rifle with his ruined hand, hissing as the other came across the point of the knife he had dropped. But it was fine. It was over. He'd won, for good this time.

He sat a few feet away from the body for a while, not really caring that his clothes were soaked through and that he was bleeding in half a dozen places. He'd won. He finally replaced the knife in his belt and struggled to his feet, leaning on the gun for support.

And as he turned away and started limping to the stairs, there was a noise and a movement from behind him and no no no no no no no-

That's not how any of this worked.

That's not how any of this worked, that's not real, that's not right, you're dead you're dead you're dead you're dead you're dead you're dead you're dead you're dead you're fucking dead-

Jae threw himself at the staircase and scrambled up a few steps on all fours, aware of a faint, terrified noise, uh- uh- uh- uh-, barely recognizing that he was the one making such a noise-

He tore the bag open and found the taser, and the shot was a hiss and crackle and a flash of light in the blackness that imprinted itself on the backs of Jae's eyelids, staying with him as he tore up the stairs and left whatever remained of Jonathan Gulley to die in the dark.

((Min-jae Parker continued in Takasago))
ItzToxie

Post by ItzToxie »

Jon rolled down the stairs, electricity coursing through his veins. He grasped at the railing as he fell, trying to stop his descent. He hit the bottom, landing on his back with a wet thud into the knee deep water.

"I'll kill you..."

He heard the footsteps disappear into the distance above him as Jae made his escape. He tried to roll to his front, but the machete hanging out of his gut was making it that much harder. He tried to reach up and grab the railing, trying to pull himself up. His hand slipped and he fell back into the water.

"I'll kill-"

His body strained hard to keep his head above the water, but his shoulders and neck kept giving out under him. He pulled himself up again, long enough to call out to Jae.  "Coooome baaack! I'm not done with you!" He fell back into the water again. His legs weren't working for him anymore...

He had to climb out of here... He had to catch Jae, he had to find Alba... He couldn't let it go like this, he needed to do something. He reached his arms up to the railing, gripping it as hard as he could. He started to pull himself up... All he had to do was get up the stairs, he could drag himself the rest of the way... He had to hang on, he couldn't give up yet. As he dragged himself up he wondered, "Why?" What was the point, why couldn't he just let it end?

That moment's hesitation forced Jon's hands to slip. He fell back, the drop into water feeling much longer then it did the first two times. He could notice a similar feeling he had back when Jae pushed him off the bell tower.

He splashed into the water sinking deeper and deeper, his whole body submerged. It felt much deeper than before, and no matter what he tried to do, he just found himself sinking further and further into the water. He saw the stairway slowly rising away from his vision, getting smaller and smaller as he sunk into the abyss. He kicked his legs as he reached for the stairwell, trying his hardest to swim back up and reach it, his lungs burning for air.

He was getting closer to it, he could make it, he could warn Alba, he could still do something! He continued his swim up the water when something grabbed his foot and dragged him back down. He kicked away from the hands and tried to swim back up, only for them to come back and pull him down. He fought against them, but they just pulled themselves up him and tangled around him.

The more he fought the more arms he could feel wrap around him. He could only watch as the stairwell got smaller and smaller as his vision of it blurred and his lungs burned. He couldn't fight it anymore...

Jon gasped for air choking and spitting up water on the beach. He curled his fingers underneath the sand and looked towards the ocean he was pulled out of. He could still faintly see the stairwell down there. What the?

Where was he? What happened? He looked around at himself, at the wounds he thought he had. They were gone, all of them. Jon felt his face, he could feel that he had both of his eyes back, that... even the scar under his eye, the one he had most of his life... It was gone. It was all gone.

He turned around to catch his bearings, and he saw... Everyone. Michael, Barry, Darius, Brendan, Coleen... All of them. They were all fine. Barry wasn't broken anymore, Darius was in one piece, Michael wasn't torn apart, Brendan was still whole... Coleen's hair was tied back, but there were no burns on her face anymore... They were all there.

Jon realized what this was... He turned his head back to the water, and saw that the stairwell wasn't there anymore... He didn't want to go back anyways.

He heard their voices behind them as he tried to put everything together.

"It's over."

"You don't have to worry anymore."

"It's finished, no more pain."

"It's okay Jon, we're here for you."

"You don't have to be scared anymore, it's okay."

Jon turned back to them. They'd been gone so long now, he didn't know what to do anymore....

He guessed a good start would be to give them all the biggest hug he could.

B040- Jonathan Gulley- Got What He Wanted

Return to “Water Treatment”