WonderWander

The obstacle course stands in a dirt clearing and incorporates several towers and platforms. While it doesn’t provide much shelter from the elements, it’s better than a lean-to in the forest. At least with the obstacle course, one has the height advantage.
Courtography

WonderWander

Post by Courtography »

(Jessica Murphy continued from That's Crate!)

The loneliness continued. She hadn't been around anyone else for probably 48 hours. That was a long time. Sure, she heard about them, the announcements made it clear that people were killing and dying. But she was removed from it all, now. She'd seen death, encountered tons of people at once, and now she was alone, and that was alright.

It was strange that she was okay with it. Normally she liked being around people, back at school, but now it felt like too much. She couldn't deal with friends if they were going to be like Michelle and ask her to doom everyone for...some reason, she couldn't remember the specifics right now.

She'd spent the past two days wandering around the northern end of the island. She hadn't had any real destination in mind and she'd made it to the water the night before, but now she had drifted back a bit to the wooden structure she was now leaning against.

She was hungry, she'd eaten one of the food bars a day, but she felt like that wasn't enough food for her. She couldn't force herself to eat more though, the thought of being completely without food was horrifying to her.

Maybe she'd stop wandering today, just hunker down right here and conserve her energy. Besides, she wasn't looking for anyone, so there was little point of moving for her, now that she thought about it.

Yes, she would just stay here, it'd be fine.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

((Garrett Cobbler continued from One of Us Does Nothing At All))

It had been stupid for Garrett to leave his hiding place. Sitting alone for hours, waiting for death to come to him - he couldn't stand it, but it was a better idea than wandering aimlessly without a weapon.

Still, he couldn't stand waiting, and at the time he felt like he had to leave. Garrett had decided that he would stick to the forest, avoiding any landmarks that would attract other people. After a while, though, he had lost track of where he was going. He walked until he was tired, stopped for a few hours to rest and eat some of his rations, and then continued walking.

Garrett's wandering was occasionally interrupted by the announcements. He wasn't surprised that many of his classmates had taken to killing, but he was a bit surprised at his own reaction. When he had heard the names of people he knew - Naomi, Luca, and many others -- the only things he felt were the same fear and hopelessness that had accompanied him since he had first awoke on the island.

Only two things from the announcements stood out to him. First, he had felt a surge of panic when he was tricked into believing his collar was going to explode. Second, he had been stunned at the news of Adonis Alba's death. Even with his strength and confidence, Adonis couldn't last three days. If someone like him was killed early on, what chance did Garrett have?

Garrett eventually ended up at an obstacle course. Anxiety once again came over him when he noticed that someone was already there. Jessica Murphy - a swimmer, if he remembered correctly - was leaning against one of the structures.

Despite his fear, Garrett considered approaching her. On one hand, Jessica didn't look like she was armed, and Garrett hadn't heard her name on the announcements. On the other hand, Garrett barely knew her, and he had no idea how she would react to him. Still, she was the first person that Garrett had come across in days. If he had learned one thing, it was how he just couldn't stand solitude.

Trying to suppress his anxiety, Garrett cautiously walked towards her. "Hey. I haven't seen anyone in a while... I promise I'm not dangerous."
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

"Oh uh, hey," was the response that Jessica decided to go with, initially.

She was surprised by her awkwardness, she wasn't normally awkward around her classmates, and she knew who Garrett was, after all, sometimes water polo and swim practice went one after the other.

"I haven't seen anyone else for a couple days either," she continued.

Hopefully that opened some kind of conversation, or something, especially since Garrett seemed reluctant to approach her. Then again, maybe there was something that would be good if he didn't approach her.

After all, so much else had changed.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Okay, she was willing to talk to him. That was a better reaction than he expected.

He smiled. "It's probably been for the best in my case. I haven't had anyone try to kill me yet. I'm a bit surprised I made it past the first few hours."

Garrett walked over to one of the other towers and leaned against it. He still wanted to keep some distance between himself and Jessica, though he didn't want to appear frightened.

He looked back at Jessica and continued talking. "Not that it really matters. I'm not trying to win. I really don't have a chance. But, uh..." he trailed off.

He still couldn't convince himself.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

"But you don't wanna join your friend's suicide cult, right?"

It was her way of making light of the situation with Michelle. She mainly tried not to acknowledge it, but sometimes it worked its way into her head again.

"But no one's tried to kill me either, although things got a bit...hectic for a bit."

That was as much as she wanted to think about the situations she had been in with the hospital and the docks. Jessica didn't want to bring up anything that could make the situation more uncomfortable than it already was.

And it was a bit, maybe it was just her, but being on her own for a couple days didn't do wonders for how she was feeling, although she didn't know if that beat always being around them.

She'd find out she guessed.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

It took a few seconds for Garrett to process Jessica's response, and even then, he didn't know what to make of it.

"What? My friend's... what? Suicide cult?"

And what did she mean by "hectic"? Had she gotten into a fight? She didn't look injured. Garrett's eyes drifted towards her bag. What if she had a weapon in there? But why wouldn't she have it out?

No, he couldn't be so paranoid. He'd just freak out and do something stupid. He'd get himself killed. Stupid.

He looked back at Jessica.

"Um, what do you mean, exactly? About the suicide cult thing and the, eh, other thing."

He looked down, and hastily added "If you wan't to talk about it."
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Oh, she hadn't meant to mean his friends, she was putting her own experience out there.

Well that was something Jessica would have to avoid in the future. "Oh, umm, my friend Michelle tried to get me to join this group with her and Virgil, and what's her name, Gwen, that's her name."

She hadn't meant to imply Garrett's friends, that wasn't nice of her.

"Sorry about that...and um, I was around when Jason got killed."

She didn't really want to elaborate more than that if she didn't have to, especially since that situation had been so confusing anyway.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

"Oh."

So Michelle had made some sort of group with Virgil Jefferson-Davis. One that could be described as a "suicide cult".Garrett didn't feel like prying further into that matter. It wasn't really important to him. There were more people he needed to avoid, that's all.

Garrett was startled by what Jessica said next. He hadn't expected it would be that bad.

She was "around" when Jason had been killed? What did that mean? The announcement had said he was killed by his ally- where did Jessica factor into that? She said no one had tried to kill her- why would Joe kill Jason but not even try to kill her?

Garrett opened his mouth to ask her something about the Jason's death, but he couldn't think of what to say. He just stood there with his mouth open for a few seconds before he finally said something.

"That's, um- that sucks."

Oh damn it, he must have looked like an idiot.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Jessica hadn't meant to leave Garrett speechless, although it wasn't the worst thing not to be pestered for details over a bunch of things so that was alright.

"Yeah, kinda did suck."

Did, does. She didn't really care about which one was the correct one at this point.

Her english teacher probably would have been disappointed. Although, she supposed, the teachers had bigger things to worry about at this point. The ones that didn't go anyway...

She didn't want her thoughts to go down that path, she had to stay semi-positive.

"Yeah, you witness anything sucky? Besides not being at Disneyland, of course," she asked in a nervous tone.

Hopefully he wouldn't notice, if he laughed maybe it'd take her mind off other things.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

Garrett forced a chuckle at Jessica's joke. He was just relieved that Jessica didn't react to Garrett's dumbfound silence. He didn't want her to think that he was a nervous wreck. Well, he was a nervous wreck, but he didn't want her to notice.

Being open about his time on the island would help in that regard. "I got assigned a shotgun that was twice a tall as I am. I was knocked right on my back when I tried to fire it. It really hurt, too."

Garrett forced another laugh, but after briefly thinking over what he had said, his eyes widened and he felt another rush of anxiety.

"Not that I was trying to shoot at anybody! I just- I shot at the ground when wanted to escape from a group I ran into- as a distraction. I had to leave it"

At that point Garrett realized he had just admitted that he was unarmed. He should have at least pretended he wasn't completely vulnerable. He really had to stop putting his foot in his mouth.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Jessica wasn't sure how to process the possibly fake laughter and the guilty-seeming behavior that he was now throwing out.

If she was the main character in the detective novels she read she wouldn't have to stand there and think it over a ton to know what to do. But she wasn't one of them, instead she didn't know how to react, her mouth hanging open.

She didn't know what to say, or whether to believe Garrett.

She needed a moment.
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

He screwed up. He really screwed up. Silence was the worst possible reaction he could of gotten outside of Jessica suddenly pulling out a pistol and shooting him. She didn't believe him. Of course she didn't believe him, would he believe that? She thought he was some sort of wannabe killer who just got stuck with a bad weapon.

He had to try and fix it somehow, at least a little. He couldn't have every conversation end with him messing up and running away.

Garrett stood up straight and silently opened his mouth for a few seconds before continuing. "Look, I-I said I wasn't trying to win. I would never try to... I mean do I look like I'd ever try to shoot anyone?" He noticed he was speaking louder and faster than he had intended.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Jessica slumped.

She didn't want to deal with this sick situation, or Garrett, or anything.

She needed a moment but Garrett wasn't giving her that, pressuring her.

And she didn't want to deal with any more pressure than she had to deal with in a life or death situation at the moment anyway.

"I just...I can't," she sputtered out and immediately started to walk off.

She shouldn't have been glad to see another human being.

(Jessica Murphy continued in Today I'm Dirty)
Polybius

Post by Polybius »

She left. She just left.

Garrett stared at her speechlessly as she walked away. He had messed up, just like he did with the group by the duck pond.

How the hell had he survived for so long? He couldn't talk to anyone without screwing up, so he couldn't get any allies. He didn't have a weapon, so he couldn't fight. He couldn't even hide without driving himself crazy from paranoia. And he was still terrified of his inevitable death, no matter how many times he told himself to accept it. The only thing he could do was keep moving. Keep moving until it happened. Maybe it'd be fast, he wouldn't even see it coming

But maybe, since he'd end up dead either way... maybe it wouldn't hurt to actually try to...

Garrett shook his head and started walking in the direction opposite of where Jessica was going. That was stupid. He'd just die faster if he tried to do anything.

He kept repeating that to himself as he left the ropes course.

((Garrett Cobbler continued in Reflections))

Return to “The Ropes Course”