Everybody Looking For Something

The harbor is perilous, at best. Built above the ocean, the wood has since begun to rot as time and salt water has taken its toll, making every step a gamble. Along the harbor’s boardwalk are several quaint (although just as deteriorated) shops built from driftwood and offering various trinkets for the tourists, as well as several small restaurants. The actual harbor is no less dangerous, with several hollowed out boats docked to it.
Courtography

Everybody Looking For Something

Post by Courtography »

(Jessica Murphy continued from Today I'm Dirty)

It'd been over a day since Jessica got away from the lunatic and the apologizer. She'd been staying hidden, nibbling on the other half of the ration bar for the rest of the day. She'd cried a lot when she found out Michelle was dead. It didn't matter that she had declared her intentions the last time they'd seen each other, it still hurt. Jessica still didn't want to hurt anyone, but in her time to stew, she'd at least considered what she'd do if she had the opportunity with Eliza.

Today she hadn't paid much attention to the announcements, only really taking note that the northern parts of the island where she'd spent most of her time were now off limits. Then again, it wasn't like she had been fond of retreading ground, even now she didn't feel like returning to the docks or the hospital.

The small cafe she'd hidden herself inside of looked like it could have been nice at one point. Not that it mattered, with the walls looking unstable and the place feeling sad.

She paced the room again. It's not like she had anything else to do.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

((Joe Carrasco continued from Oh... Hi...))

The rest of the previous day had been nearly silent and incredibly tense. Joe had rebuffed most of Travis' attempts at conversation with either silence or the phrases 'I don't want to hear about it' and 'I don't want to talk about it.' Inwardly, most of his thoughts had revolved around trying not to punch Travis in the face, and wondering what he'd do if Travis tried to kill someone again.

He still had no answers to that.

They'd camped out on the beach. It would have been nice if it wasn't for everything else. Joe had woken Travis up early, before the announcements (Travis had grumbled at him for it) and they'd kept going. The only thing they could agree on was to bury Chuck, and the lagoon was near a beach, so they figured if they stuck to near the water as much as they could they'd eventually find the right place.

They heard the now familiar crackling sound of the speakers as they neared the eastern inlet.

There weren't many familiar names on the announcement, apart from ones which were familiar because he heard them so much. Katarina Konipaski, Eliza Patton, Joachim Lovelace... more big killers rising up to take the places that Maximilian and Theodore had left behind. Just one killer after another.

There were some that stood out. Tyler Lucas and Cassidy Kant. He knew enough from Travis' 'explanation' to know what happened there. He took great care not to look at Travis when that came up on the announcement. He was afraid he'd see that nasty grin again.

And one other name stood out. Sunny Cho Lee. Gabby's best friend. Joe didn't know her that well, only in the friend-of-a-friend sense. Maybe even felt some unfair bitterness towards her at times because Gabby understandably preferred hanging out with her. Still. He hadn't even thought to look for her, or wondered how she was doing. Maybe he should have, but would it really have changed anything?

"Sorry," he mumbled under his breath anyway.

He wouldn't have stopped. He wanted to reach Chuck before anything happened. But they didn't have a shovel. And there was a dim hope that maybe one of the little buildings clustered around the abandoned harbor would have one.

He didn't find one. Instead, as he pushed open the door to a little cafe, he found Jessica.

What Joe meant to say upon seeing her was, "Hello. I'm happy to see you're safe." What came out was a sound akin to that of a dog's toy being stepped on. Instinctively, he raised an arm to stop Travis walking into the cafe.
Delroy†

Post by Delroy† »

((Travis Webster continued from Oh... Hi...))

This fucking sucked.

He had groaned when Joe had decided to leave. Travis was TIRED. He'd run back and forth across the island several times now, and been in battles and struggles almost every day. He needed rest. But eventually, they had made it to the beach. Joe had turned out to be almost as bad of a travel companion as Cassidy. Whenever he tried to strike up a conversation, he was instantly rebuffed by his (seemingly former) best friend. He supposed the tension between them made sense given how Joe had first reacted to his actions. But hey, Joe was... somewhat better, he supposed. At least Joe had no illusions about being rescued.

They'd been searching for Chuck's corpse. He was their close friend, and deserved better than being killed by that fucking Miles Strickland. Eventually, however, his body had given up, and they'd camped outside on the beach again, just like he'd done the night before.

Joe woke him early. He threw many angry glances towards his friend... but he did get up. And he did feel a little bit better. Sleep was a miraculous thing.

The announcements came on as usual. A few familiar names. He tried his best to contain his smile when he got his little homage by the terrorists. Clearly, he at least had a fan or two in the organisation. But they did have a point, he thought as he glanced over at Joe. It was a very good idea to be weary of those you allied with. Perhaps even Joe.

Furthermore, Gary-whatever from the second day, the boy who'd threatened to have him shot with a crossbow, was dead. By the hand of Andi Victorino of all people. Stabbed in the back. Ouch.

They had begun scouring the area for supplies and, if they got lucky, a shovel. Suddenly, Joe yelped as he'd entered a little cafe they were heading into. Travis knew what the sound meant. Someone was in there.

Before Joe had even thrown up his hand, Travis had fished out the scalpel from his back pocket.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Delroy. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Jessica's eyes narrowed as she saw who the two intruders were. After all, Joe had been part of that big mess that she'd been in when this all started, and Travis had made the next day worse, to say the least. However, she didn't have any proper way to defend herself, and without a clear exit she thought it'd be best to act friendly, or at least neutral.

She attempted to make her face look less annoyed and in as even a tone she could manage said "I guess this is a reunion."

Hopefully that went okay, she wouldn't want things to mess up as they had tended to the past few days. She wasn't optimistic though. Over half of the class was dead for a reason, and it wasn't because they killed each other with kindness.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

"A reunion... yeah, I, um... I suppose, yeah." Joe blinked at her, then looked at his feet. "Um, I was just... just looking for a shovel, uh... Are you doing... uh..."

Joe was going to ask if she was doing okay, but realised it was the dumbest question he could ask.

"...Uh. Do you need any help?" he said instead. He wasn't exactly sure if he could help anyone at this stage. But he hadn't helped much in the past. Given that he'd killed their mutual ally and then run away in a panic, he probably couldn't have done worse without killing her. He owed her at least a chance to ask for food or something.

Anything beyond that would probably be a problem... there just wasn't time.

Joe glanced behind him and saw the scalpel already in Travis' hand. He reached over and roughly pushed Travis' wrist down. "Travis, you—put that away, she's fine!"

He'd pulled out that scalpel far too quickly. There was no way he was going to stick to this 'no-killing' deal. Joe could practically hear Travis trying to justify it later. 'She attacked after I threatened her, thus it was self-defence even though I started it.'

Joe looked back at Jessica, wearing a mildly nauseous expression for a moment as he pondered Travis, before adding hurriedly, "We're not going to hurt you. Right, Travis?" The last two words had a forceful edge to them.
Delroy†

Post by Delroy† »

It was a sort of reunion, yes. But not really the happy kind. The last time he'd seen Jessica had been under rather lackluster circumstances, what with the crossbow being pointed and threats being thrown around. But just like then, she didn't seem like a threat. But this island could change a person very quickly, so he kept his wits about him as he began entering the cafe.

Before he could react, Joe had grabbed onto his wrist. His eyes shot up, betraying his sudden anger. His eyes were fixed on Joe. A few tense seconds passed before the storm subsided. He shrugged with a slight smile on his lips and put the scalpel away.

"Right. Of course."

While Joe might have been right this time around, this pacifism was going to get them killed. Soon enough they'd run into someone bad, maybe even worse than himself. And if Joe made him hesitate at that exact point, it might be the end of him. And he couldn't let that happen.

He suspected Joe knew the situation just as well as he did. There was no way this partnership could last. He smiled at Joe, and then at Jessica.

"Don't worry about it. We're all friends here, right?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Delroy. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

"Right. Of course." Her face was strained, and Jessica knew that any rational person would be able to tell she did not feel friendly to the other teenagers. Then again, neither of the others had shown they were very rational at all, so that was something.

She was really feeling like she didn't want them there, but there wasn't much she could do. She could always try to bother Joe by reminding him of what he did, but Jessica still wasn't completely sure what happened there, so that probably wouldn't be smart, especially with Travis around.

She hadn't caught everything Joe had said to Travis, but knowing Travis, it was nothing good.

Then again, nothing good basically summed up the past week.
ViolentMedic

Post by ViolentMedic »

Jessica didn't really answer as to whether there was a shovel around or if she needed help. Joe supposed there wasn't really any help that would really help that much on the island. 'We helped you live a little longer so you can die a longer death. Hooray.'

Her face suggested that she wanted them to leave.

Joe didn't want to bother her. Nor did he want to give Travis time to do... something. He stepped back, trying to carefully nudge Travis that way, too.

"Um. I guess... I guess we'll just... leave, then."

After a moment of hesitation, before leaving Joe added, "I'm... I'm sorry I... I, uh..." But he didn't know how to finish that sentence, so he turned around and left, trying to tug Travis away without being too obvious.

((Joe Carrasco continued in Huddle.))
Delroy†

Post by Delroy† »

Joe had decided they would head somewhere else. Clearly he wasn't comfortable with the situation. Travis couldn't really blame him. There was nothing to gain from a girl who, while not outright hostile, was clearly not friendly. He sighed and began following Joe outside again.

As he was about to reach the outside. Travis stopped for a second and looked back at Jessica.

"Maybe i'll see you around...."

He gave her a mischievous wink and left without another word.

((Travis Webster continued in Huddle))
Courtography

Post by Courtography »

Jessica smiled emptily as they left. She was alone again, but it didn't feel right, but being around them didn't feel right either. She thought for a few moments, before coming to the obvious conclusion that maybe it was correct for things not to feel right here.

As if they'd ever be right again.

(Jessica Murphy in Call An Optimist, She's Turning Blue)

Return to “Abandoned Harbor”