Start It With a Positive Jam

The elementary school building is similar to the high school. Spider webs and dust cloud the once brightly-painted walls. Number and alphabet posters cover the rooms. The building is smaller than the high school, with only eight rooms.
Casey the Undead†

Start It With a Positive Jam

Post by Casey the Undead† »

((G015--Janie Sinneave, START)))

The first thing Janie did when she woke up was sigh, long and deep.

The second thing she did was jumping jacks.

"Gotta wake up," she said to no one in particular. "Gotta get my blood pumping, gotta get my head in this. I can do this. I can do this."

She tugged loosely at the studs in her ears and walked around the room she'd woken up in. It was kid's classroom, she could tell that much. Cute little learning posters were everywhere, like the one's she'd had when she was 7 or 8. It was adorable, really. An excellent beginning to a terrible, terrible thing. Janie sighed again. She pinched herself harshly, at the juncture of her thumb and her palm. "This is real," she said. "This is real, and this is happening. I am not dreaming. I will not wake up from this."

It was important, Janie figured. She had never seen Survival of the Fittest before, for obvious reasons, but she knew enough about it to . . . to . . . to something.

She hadn't quite figured that part out yet. Winning, she guessed, was the ultimate objective. But winning seemed far away, distant and hazy and broken. She'd been on a plane a few hours ago, she'd been ready to graduate high school. Now she was something else entirely, something alien and foreign to her. A girl who had watched her science teacher die. A girl who would watch her friends die.

That was what Janie had to focus on, now. She didn't want to redefine herself, or whatever, but she was inherently different than she had been before, she knew that. Every day made you a little different, every day changed you a little bit. This was not "every day." This was something else.

Dimly, Janie remembered that the kids four years ago had gotten a rescue. The President had said the whole thing was over. He had been wrong, of course -- but that meant someone was looking, right? Someone was totally looking. Janie sighed, pinched herself again. "This is real. Rescue might be coming. Rescue also might not be coming. Take things one step at a time. Do not focus on winning. Focus on. Uh. Something else?"

She glanced her pack tucked in the corner where she'd woken up. She'd ignored it to do her jumping jacks, but now it was blaring at her. Weapons. Focus on weapons. She jogged towards it and started to dig through it, until she came upon something that seemed out of the way --

Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Janie had gotten Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Janie had gotten Hungry Hungry Hippos, and had woken up in an Elementary School classroom. Janie with her blue hair like a clown. She sighed again. Pinched herself again. "This may all seem like a weird joke, or like the creepiest fantasy dream you've ever had, but it's not. It's real. Rescue is coming. Rescue is not coming. You will win. You will not win. You will live. You will die. It's all in the future. This is real. This is real."

She sat down on the floor with her boardgame.

"Okay, but seriously, what's the use of this if I don't even have someone to pay with?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Casey the Undead. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

((G050 Rebecca Kiesling start))

Rebecca had sat in the corner of what was obviously an elementary classroom for a good long time as she had gotten her bearing and came up with a plan of action.  At least, that was what she told herself to justify her inactivity.  In reality, she sat and cowered in the corner because it was safe and familiar.

While she had never been in this particular classroom before, rooms like this had meant safety and security while growing up.  The cheerful, if fading, decor and small furniture was comforting.  Cartoon bears and birds were frozen in mid-gambol around the border of the room and stared down with benevolent smiles.

But as the hours has passed, the silence shifted from soothing to oppressive.  Rebecca's attempts at plans never materialized and remained a tangled mess of suppressed hysteria. She became sure that the bears' smiles were mocking her, patronizing her fearful behavior.

The sound of a voice from next door made her jump with a squeak.  

There was someone next door.  There was someone talking next door.

Rebecca's heart began to race as she strained to listen.  It sounded like maybe there was a girl next door.  She crept from her corner and began making her way towards the voice.  With as much dancer's grace as she could muster, she quickly but quietly made her way to the next doorway.  Peeking around the corner, Rebecca spotted a blue-haired girl sitting on the floor.  

She squinted in an effort to get a better view.  Was that a game on the floor?  Leaning in, Rebecca brushed the door.

Straightening in a panic, she quickly raised her hand and knocked the door.  Better to try and make this appear to be a purposeful meeting rather than seeming stalkery.  "Um, hi?  Are you okay?"  
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

((Yasmin Carrol continued from Hajime))

Yaz and Katy had ventured into the Elementary School because it had been the nearest building. Yaz hadn't bothered to take her 'weapon' out of her bag; it would have been useless if they ran into anyone anyway. It was a rock, in a pillowcase; it was about as threatening as a plastic bag and about as deadly. So unless you got a lucky hit on someone it wasn't worth the time or effort to use.

As she crept through the corridor of the school she thought she could dimly hear a voice. It definitely wasn't coming from further down the corridor so that left the classrooms as the only place it could be coming from.

Yaz was unsure how to approach the situation. The last and first time she had contact with someone else in SotF it had gotten her a broken nose via a flashbang grenade followed by a punch to the face. Ironically that same person was now the one she was travelling with. Things seemed to have a funny way of working out.

Yaz was about to ask Katy how they should approach the situation when another person crept out and knocked on one of the doors. She quickly ducked back around the corner and turned to Katy, keeping her voice low as she spoke.

"I think there are two people down the corridor. Any ideas?"
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
Roberta “Robbie” Woodvine
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

(( Katy Warren continued from  Hajime ))

Katy was amused as she watched her companion as they entered the elementary school.  Bitch was so tiny she might as well have been 8 or something, and she fit right in.

Then she was asking Katy what she thought they should do?

"Fuck should I know?  Last time I had a plan, I broke your face."  She said.  

She was being honest.  She didn't know what to do right now.  In Judo, all the scenarios, the self defense situations, the competition, it only prepared her for when things had gone or were just about to go south.

"Let's hold for a minute.  See if we can figure out who they are."
Casey the Undead†

Janie's head snapped up at the sound of another voice.

Rebecca was standing in the doorway, and for a second Janie couldn't think anything besides Rebecca's here? That's so weird, what are the chances of another girl form my school being chosen-- until she remembered that the only people chosen were from her school, that she would likely know every killer and every killed and every person she ran into inbetween.

She pinched herself again, but refrained from speaking aloud, less Rebecca think she was nuts. She wasn't. She was just gaining control of the situation. She needed a steady head, she knew that much. There was nothing that Janie had that would keep her alive -- no innate physical strength, no weapons expertise, no decent weapon to work with, no strong best friends, no sense of self-worth or desperate need to survive. All she had was her head, and she had to keep that. She had to be calm. She had to focus.

"Hey Rebecca," Janie offered with a wan smile. She felt exhausted suddenly, even though she'd just woken up. She scrubbed fruitlessly at her eyes. "I'm fine, thanks, just sort of," she gestured vaguely to the room around her -- "getting my barrings, or something."

She glanced back down at her game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. She wondered if Rebecca would figure it was her weapon -- Janie supposed it didn't really matter. She had no plans to harm Rebecca, and if Rebecca had any plans to harm Janie there was little that could be done about it. She'd heard of people lying about weapons before, going through the game on manipulation alone. But Janie wasn't a particularly manipulative person. She didn't have the energy for it, above all else. If Rebecca thought Hungry Hungry Hippos was just some random board game, so be it. If she guessed it was Janie's weapon, that was that. It didn't matter either way. Either way Janie was stuck with it, and either way it would be ultimately worthless.

All she had was her head, and she had to keep herself straight.

She glanced back at Rebecca, wondering what was the polite thing to do. She almost asked if Rebecca was good before catching herself. Of course Rebecca wasn't good. Good wasn't an option anymore.

"You making it?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Casey the Undead. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

When the other girl looked up, Rebecca recognized Janie.  Some of the tightness in her chest relaxed.  Of course it was Janie.  Who else in the senior class had blue hair?

Feeling a bit self-conscious, she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, the remnant of a nervous habit from when her hair was longer.  Being tense and nervous all the time would just make her tired faster.  She needed to relax a bit, and maybe spending some time with a familiar, friendly face would help with that. Flashing Janie one of her stage smiles, she tried to project an air of calm.    "I'm as well as can be expected, all things considered."

Again, the game on the floor in front of Janie caught her eye and she stepped farther into the room.  It took Rebecca a moment to realize exactly what game it was.  Intrigued, she carefully walked over and gingerly sat across from Janie.  "This may be an odd question, but uh...why did you bring a game of Hungry, Hungry Hippos with you?"  

Unsure if she was overstepping any bounds but unwilling to reign in her curiosity, Rebecca reached a finger out and poked the game.
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Katy's first reply to Yaz asking if she had any ideas was to be a bitch. Yaz subconsciously touched her nose when Katy mentioned it, it still stung every so often and her face still felt swollen. The second time Katy spoke she was more constructive, a plan to wait a see was a much safer bet than just walking over to the people, things had a higher chance of ending up the way they had when Yaz and Katy had first met.

Yaz poked her head around the corner again and tried to get a better look at the person in the hallway. It was awkward since they were standing in a doorway, but when they moved to brush some hair out of their eyes Yaz had a good idea who it was. If she was right it was Rebecca Kiesling, Yaz only knew of her because she was the assistant to Leona Van...something, and they performed magic together. It was kind of hard to forget something as unique as that. She was clearly talking to someone inside the room as well, so Yaz had a good idea of where everyone was; which was useful information. She had no idea who the person in the room was but Rebecca didn't seem very nervous around them.

Yaz ducked back around the corner and turned to Katy.

"One of them is Rebecca Kiesling, I don't know who the other person is but they're inside a classroom. Everything seems pretty calm between them too."

It was a quick rundown of everything Katy needed to know. Now Yaz just had to add in a suggestion of how to handle things.

"I think we should just approach them calmly. No need to start something."
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
G047 - Aliya Kimia Nemati - Blowgun w/ 10 Poison Darts - you're nobody till somebody kills you - "I just wanted to talk." - DEAD
G001 - Arizona Butler - Camping Stove - Dead Bxdies in the Lake Part II - ""We got there eventually." - DEAD
B046 - Bret Carter - Weighted Net - Swerve - "I'll just be on my way and we can all continue with our evenings." - DEAD
G022 - Forrest Quin - Ball-gag and handcuffs - DRUGS SAV3D MY LIF3 - "Abe-" - DEAD
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

"Rebecca Kiesling."  Katy worked her mouth around the name, as if she didn't like the taste of it.  Another one of the low-hanging fruit.  Dancer who fucked up her knee or something and now all she did was dance around in her underwear for her shitty magician friend.  In all, probably not someone to worry about.  

"You go ahead, then."

Katy was a bitch and everything, but she wasn't stupid.  She doubted her cutting the corner and introducing herself first would be great for interpersonal relations.

Before Yaz could head out there, Katy caught her by the bicep.

"Don't tell them a fucking thing about your nose."
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

((Since time is ticking and it's Day 11 for me, I'm skipping Casey))

When Janie didn't immediately react to her poking the game, Rebecca let out a breath she didn't even realize she was holding.  Feeling bolder, she put her hand on the control of the orange hippo and made its neck extend and retract a handful of times.

The clack of the plastic was the only sound in the room.  Withdrawing her hand, Rebecca sat up straight and demurely folded her hands in her lap.  "So," she drawled.  "Would you like to play a game?"
Casey the Undead†

Janie glanced up at Rebecca's question. It probably wasn't the best course of action, actually. Playing a board game in the middle of an abandoned elementary school -- which was actually super freaky the more Janie thought about it. There was always something disquieting about violent or horrifying things happening in areas that one associated with innocence. Bloody murder in an elementary school sent a shiver down Janie's spine. She wouldn't want to be here anymore come nightfall, she thought.

Still, it was day now, and there wasn't anyone here who was going to hurt her. Unless Rebecca was going to whip out a gun and kill her during a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos, in which case, at least Janie could say she died as she lived, too invested in board games. She nodded in Rebecca's direction. "I totally call the Pink hippo. I don't care about the other one but I had pink hair once and I'm honestly kind of attached to it." Janie ran her fingers through her bangs, sighing a little. She resolutely did not think about the fact that she might never die her hair again. It didn't matter. It wasn't happening right now. The future is the future, she thought, with a little bitter twist of her mouth. Whatever happens then happens then. If I die, I die. If I dye, I dye. It's not happening right now. What's happening right now is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos in an elementary school.

"I haven't played this game in forever," Janie said. She felt the smile replace the bitterness, was glad for it. "It's like, ridiculous how much I missed it."
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

Katy gave Yaz explicit orders not to tell either of the two people she was going to greet why her nose looked and was broken and why her eyes were swollen. It would be difficult to explain something like that, well not difficult in the usual way, difficult to explain the situation and why she was with the person who had done it. Since Katy wasn't the most polite or caring person. Gruff and blunt described her better, she wasn't exactly a good travelling partner but at least Yaz knew where she stood with Katy. Katy didn't like her because she saw her as weak but she wasn't going to try and kill her, which Yaz couldn't guarantee for the two people she was about to see.

Yaz tugged her arm free of Katy's grip.

"Thanks for the warning." She muttered as she walked off down the corridor.

Katy was a bitch, but she was the only ally Yaz had and because of that she really had no choice but to stick with her. Despite how much she hated it. Even now Katy was still acting the same as ever, even when they were trapped in a life and death situation. Well if she wasn't changing no Yaz doubted she ever would, which meant their partnership would be anything but co-operative.

Yaz was unsure how she was supposed to approach the situation.

What if one of them had a gun? Or some other weapon?

Yaz tried to push the paranoid thoughts out of her head as much as she possibly could but part of her realised that it was good to be paranoid. After all she had been minding her own business before Katy had attacked her; there was no telling what could happen.  It made the prospect of entering the room that much more daunting.

Yaz decided the best approach would be to knock on the door to get their attention.

"Umm...Hi?"

It was at that point Yaz noticed that they were playing with a game of Hungry Hippos.
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7
Outfoxd

Post by Outfoxd »

Yaz went in.  Katy yanked another grenade out of her pack.  If she caught wind of bullshit then all three of the girls were catching an eye and an earful.  She doubted it would come to that, but still; this was a delicate situation they all found themselves in.

Yaz said hi, and Katy smirked at how lame it sound.  Not that she would have anything better to say, mind you.
BetaKnight

Post by BetaKnight »

"You can be Pinkie," Rebecca assured Janie with a wry grin.  "Sadly, I play this game pretty regularly with my little sister.  She alwa-"

She snapped her head up at the sound of the rapping at the door.  Heart in her throat, Rebecca only managed to squeeze out a timid squeak in response to Yazmin.  

Upon realizing that it was just Yazmin Carrol, Rebecca fractionally relaxed.  It was hard to think of teeny tiny Yazmin as a threat.  Especially since her nose seemed kind of swollen and her eyes were starting to blacken.

Rebecca's eyes widened as she realized that someone had attacked the other girl.  She gasped and raised a hand to cover her mouth.  "Oh, sweetie, what happened?"
Casey the Undead†

Janie's head snapped at another voice. I never even heard footsteps. . .

Of course, she was too caught up in the game, in the atmosphere of the elementary school, to even think about other people. That was a mistake, a bad one. This is real, she reminded herself. You've gotta stay alert. This is real and there's no respawn or whatever, there's no getting back up. There's no hospitals. There's nothing. Pay. Attention.

One look at Yaz's face forced Janie's mouth shut with a click. The girl was a wreck. Janie winced in sympathy, but politely declined to say anything. Big Sis Rebecca seemed to be on top of that, though. Janie was never any good at being the big sister. She was always better at being the youngest, really -- the last to get the computer, the last to get the TV, the last to pick her characters in video games or board games. Both of her siblings were better at being older. Thomas had the rebellion, Samantha had the brains, and Janie had pink hair and a smile and a bit too much fondness for horses. If Sam ever became a famous mathematician or something, and they made a biopic of her life, Janie knew she'd be the character left on the cutting room floor -- just not interesting enough for Hollywood.

And yet, here she was, in the closest thing to a movie her life was ever going to get. A real life slasher flick, and Janie was the star. Or maybe not the star. The snarky best friend? The naive girl who believes in ghosts and no one else believes? The out-of-the-mainstream rebel chick who represents all things anti-purity? Or just another extra in zombie makeup?

She pushed that thought away, shaking her head. She had to focus. Life wasn't a fucking slasher film, no one fit into little boxes anymore. Killers make mistake and the heroes catch them. This is real life. Everyone's a villain, and everyone's a hero, and everyone is going to make mistakes.

Janie turned her focus to the other girl who'd entered the room, Katy. She knew Katy from school, but they weren't really friends or anything. Still, Katy and Yaz seemed like a weird group. Talk about people with nothing in common. "Hey Katy," Janie said with a slight wave. "I see someone already got to you, Yaz. Or did you just have a bumpy wake up?"
Deamon

Post by Deamon »

The reaction from the two girls was instantaneous, their conversation immediately stopped and all their attention was focused on her.

Yaz didn't like it.

She looked down at the floor to avoid their staring.

Rebecca gasped and asked what happened to her. Yaz glanced up and looked away again, even more attention being put on her when she didn't want any of it. Did she really look that bad anyway? She hated Katy even more, because now she was in a lose/lose situation. She either told Rebecca and Janie that Katy had jumped her, or she lied and Yaz knew that if she lied she would most likely get found out, and then they wouldn't be able to trust her again.

Yaz didn't want to answer Rebecca, because she hated both options.

Luckily Janie came to Yaz's rescue without even realising it.

"I...I woke up by falling off a desk." Yaz practically mumbled the answer. She didn't look up at the other two girls in case her eyes gave her away; instead she hoped they'd think she was just embarrassed. As long as they didn't ask any more questions she'd be fine, they'd hopefully just assume that was it and wouldn't ask any more questions...she hoped at least.

She hated being the centre of attention so much.
V8
Aracelis Fuentes
California “Cali” Fox
Darryl Smith Jr.
Jessica Romero
[+] V7

Return to “The Elementary School”