Sleeper Cell

Private

Spotting the beach in a series are deep, roped-off caves, some traversable on foot and others requiring strong swimming skills or the aid of a canoe. Any light source aside from natural pockets in the rock went out years ago, however, making it very easy for someone to lose their way in the craggy labyrinth, not to mention the threat of slipping into the deep, black water.
VysePresident

Sleeper Cell

Post by VysePresident »

Ian Williams continued from: Mischief Managed
((All GMing and such pre-approved.))

For the second time, Ian found himself walking down the coarse shores of the western beach, cheeks still slightly flushed from the panicked rush from the Apartments that had followed the Announcements. It was a much more gloomy sight than yesterday, looking pale and almost restless in what dull light had managed to pierce the thick gray clouds above, and only the mournful cry of a lonely seagull echoed above the sound of the surf. It was altogether almost too fitting a background for his thoughts now, tense and restless as they were, as his eyes wandered the beach, until the glint of metal caught his attention.

The shovel was barely noticeable in the grey light, and he might have missed it, lost in thought as he was, but for the seagull that seemed to be trying to make a perch of the thing. The bird regarded his approach warily a moment before taking off, leaving Ian to his prize.

He smiled a sad little smile as he lifted it off the ground. He'd nearly forgotten it here, on the sands where he'd dropped it when Bella had fallen. It would have been a pity to leave it to rust, after its owner had put so much care into it. Besides, it was a quiet, comforting reminder now that he'd already managed to make some small difference for the better on wretched place.

Really, it was funny how Steven's parting words had stuck with him through everything that had happened. The rebuke had hit him harder than anything the island had yet thrown at him, barring Daniel's death, and Ian had even found himself echoing them not more than a couple of minutes ago to Gavin, as he'd explained his reasons for leaving.

"I've been thinking, and I'm sorry, but I can't be part of your plans. I can't just sit in our fort and wait for everyone to die, like you're talking about." he said, gesturing vaguely at the broken freighter. "I tried that already, and well...I forgot I had friends out there, dying."

Pause a moment. Take a deep breath.

"It's like a friend of mine said a while back; You can't hide from this, can't avoid being changed by it, so you need to make sure the changes are for the better. And if we're all going to die, well, I'd rather make it count for something."

"I wish you all the best, I really do, but...well, I need to get going. I already talked it over with Bella and Juhan, and I think they're waiting on me, and well..."

He'd hesitated a moment longer after that, listened to Gavin's curt reply, and was finally gone. This was the way things had to be.

They'd planned it this way, after all, ever since yesterday afternoon. They were going to escape, and for the first time in his life, Ian found himself almost overwhelmed with the stress of it all. It was so easy to find himself second-guessing their decisions, now that he had the luxury of hindsight, and there was so much to second-guess.

For instance, it had been his idea that had allowed them all to communicate with some degree of secrecy yesterday, using simple game, an ice-breaker that he'd picked up so long ago called Telephone Message. One person would draw a picture, and then pass it to the others in turn, each slowly adding details and guesses until it was finished. At first, it had only been Gavin, Cyrus, Karen, and himself, but slowly, as things took shape, they had added each of the others as the opportunity arose, until everyone was in on the 'game', and more importantly, the plan.

It was pure insanity; there was no denying that. Yet, between Cyrus' support for it, and Gavin's own convincing case, they'd come to see it as their best bet. From there, the other three had spent a long time discussing and modifying the exact stages of how to best carry it out. Ian hadn't had much in the way of earth-shattering ideas to offer, relying on Gavin and Karen for those, and on Cyrus for technical support and ideas for avoiding the cameras. Rather, he focused almost entirely on the minor details and minutia that the others were so often inclined to forget, pointing out flaws and slowly helping them turn a bunch of random ideas into the outline of a solid plan.

That didn't even begin to get into how much effort he had to put into curbing their apparently irresistible urge for pyromania.

It had seemed the perfect cover to discuss the plan safely, right under the terrorists noses, and even now, despite all the doubts assailing him, Ian couldn't help but feel a little sense of pride at having thought of it - and for having the sense to make sure a real game was going on the whole time, in hopes that it might keep things more believable.

In the end, they'd settled on establishing two separate groups, the first of would be led by Gavin and Cyrus, and attempt to initiate the escape plan immediately, in hopes of signaling for a rescue. The other was supposed to act as a recruitment team, bringing in as many of their fellow students as was possible, before playing out their own role in all this. Karen had been the one to point out that once they were freed, the terrorists would be striving to contain them, using dangerzones and the threat of collar detonation to prevent them from saving anyone else. Ian had volunteered for the job, and well, here he was.

That wasn't to say his words to Gavin had been entirely hollow. This was his change to finally make a real difference, to do more than sit around and hope for a miracle; he'd already been given this opportunity, and was going to make the most of it. That's why Ian was here now, trying vainly to keep the coarse sand from working its way into his shoes. He could have justified staying, sure, and it might even have been safer, but sometimes good enough wasn't, not really. Now that he had the means to actually make a real difference for the better, anything less than his best effort would be the utmost act of selfishness, and standing idly by as everyone died wasn't in the cards, not this time. All he'd needed was a plan.

After the game, they'd spent the rest of the day as they wished. The plan required them to wait until such time as the beach was safe anyway, and so they were free to enjoy normal human things, like resting or eating, and normal BatGavin things like making explosives and admiring guns. As a matter of fact, Ian had some of those bombs in his pack now, much to his dismay; Gavin had passed them around, each person getting two pipe bombs and two molotov cocktails apiece. The bombs were wrapped snugly in an extra shirt he'd brought for the trip, but still, he couldn't help but wince every time something caused the bag to bounce, as if the impact would cause them to spontaneously go off. He was already likely enough to get blown up without him helping the terrorists out by doing the job for them.

With his train of thought thus broken, he realized that Bella and Juhan had gotten even further ahead as he was lost in thought, and were now waiting some distance ahead. He picked up his pace a little when he saw that, breaking into a jog, forgetting his worries about the explosives, anxious as he was not to keep them waiting.

As he came up to the other two, a little winded from the light exercise, he smiled apologetically.

"Sorry. I got caught up saying a few last things to Gavin. Didn't mean to keep you waiting. Mind if I take a sec to catch my breath?"

For now, come what may, he was glad to have their company. They'd committed now and they'd play their parts to the best of their ability even as the soft whirring sound of the cameras reminded them that they were always being watched.
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

((Mirabella Strong continued from The Verdana Sisterhood))

Mirabella hadn't spoken much since they'd left the group.

She hadn't exactly been lacking in opportunities to do so, but she'd had so much to think about in the meantime that the thought of talking to either Juhan or Ian scarce passed her mind. The announcements took up most of her time, as she cycled through each of her classmates faces, bading them silent farewells as she trudged across the shoreline, attempting to maintain as cheery a countenance as she could muster. So many more people had died, and Bella couldn't help but be slightly perturbed at how easily she'd taken the news. Not the deaths themselves, but the fact that her classmates had continued to kill. It scarcely fazed her.

Mallory was dead, her athletic fellow tailor who'd been so friendly and sweet, and with whom Bella'd been acquaintances of sorts. She'd never see her again. What proved most unsettling to Bella was that she was more preoccupied with Mallory's killer. Hansel. The same Hansel she'd claimed innocence for, had defended against Francis's words, and led to that thing. It'd all been in vain, hadn't it? She'd mouthed off for no true reason, and then everything had fallen apart. The chips had been repaired between her and Megan, but that didn't magically bring Francis back to life.

But thinking about it wouldn't achieve anything. Whenever she thought of something it made things worse, and whenever she said something it made things worse. So she had to think of other things, things that wouldn't get her too distressed or panicked. Like her appearance. God, she must've looked terrible; days without bathing, or shaving her legs, or even switching clothes was beginning to take its toll. Bella was starting to regret her usual eschewal of make-up; it would've greatly improved the bags under her eyes, or her perpetually flushed cheeks. She had her barrettes though, which kept those lengthy bangs of hers out of the way - so that was something to be thankful for. If it weren't for them it would've made her appear a madwoman, and anything that could help keep her cheery and pleasant was truly a godsend. Even so, it was difficult to stop her random shakes and the tears that rolled down her cheeks when alone. Even when there were others around her Bella couldn't help but feel well and truly lost in this place. Without her rock.

It was odd, but she couldn't remember a time that she'd been apart from Garrett for so long. Even back home, there were text messages and Facebook conversations, nothing to stop them talking for more than a day. But it was happening now, and Bella wasn't coping with it nearly as well as she'd expected to.

When did it happen? When did I become so attached?

Before Bella could become even more immersed in her thoughts, she was rescued by Ian's return. "Oh, go ahead, Ian," Bella said, in reply to his greeting, force-of-habit overriding her attempts to speak as little as possible. "No one's gonna punish you for wanting to regain your composure."

She glanced apprehensively at the nearby grottos, eyes drifting over the pockets of water that peppered the area. Just the thought of being so close to them - even with the tightly-strung ropes lessening their danger - almost frightened her. Almost. Almost, but not entirely, not when there were other actual things to be scared of now.

She just couldn't let herself be scared of those things, either.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

(Juhan Levandi continued from Mischief Managed)

Juhan couldn't help but stare at the caves. It wasn't like they were going to go in there. It just reminded him of the haunted house and the forest. Nothing particularly traumatic happened in those two areas. The worst that happened was this wound on his knee and a couple of bruises on the back of his head. But looking at the caves reminded him of an ever present paranoia, one that had been present in both areas. A paranoia brought about by the possibility of his classmates coming out from the shadows with a weapon. That fear of someone popping out had always been present since he was a child. Back then, it was irrational and a secret shame of his. Now? It was completely reasonable. Heck, it could even be a friend of his.

And why not? The announcements had been one of the most emotional parts of this ordeal. They told him many things. They told him that, yes, his classmates were really being killed. That the terrorists were sick enough to award people for murder. Yet there was one more important thing.

Something that had been pushing him closer to the brink wasn't the fact that so many people he had seen walk down the hallways were gone. It wasn't even the fact that many of his friends had shown up on the announcements. It was the fact that some of them showed up again. And again. And again.

That was the fear that clouded his thoughts every second. And now it was being exacerbated by something else. He was trying to be a hero.

All those ideas that had been running through his head weren't just that anymore. They weren't pipe dreams anymore.

That was perfect. But now it brought about the risk of being blown up any second. The fact that he managed to keep up this charade for even a day was miraculous. But he was scared that he might slip up and screw everyone over. And he couldn't afford mistakes.

He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't even register Ian's arrival. He only started paying attention to his surroundings when Bella spoke. The fact that she still seemed fine was something Juhan thanked the stars for. She even seemed to be doing better than he was. Now that he thought about it, Juhan actually had a lot of lucky breaks. For one, his closest friends were still alive. He hadn't heard Maynard's name so far, and the fact that he found Bella and Ian so soon was wonderful. Also, they had weapons now. In his haste yesterday, he left the plank he retrieved from the mansion along with the Oreos. When they passed by the area again, both items were nowhere to be seen. Thankfully, they were given pipe bombs and Molotov cocktails by Gavin's group. The risk of them accidentally going off had become part of a long list of fears he had, but at least he had protection. Also, there was Grace's stuff. If he remembered correctly, she had a gun in there.

After Bella finished speaking, Juhan added, "Speaking of catching our breaths, do you mind if we take a rest here? I know we just got up, but these past few days have kinda been taking its toll on me."
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Current Theme Music: Devil Town (v1) - cavetown
Weapon: Tactical Combat Shovel
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me
Memories: Hiya sa Timog

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Current Theme Music: Play With Me - DDLC OST
Weapon: Bug-A-Salt Camofly 2.0 Insect Eradication Gun
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit
Pregame: In Vino Veritas - Shake It Out
Memories: Hayashibara Heart to Heart
Prom: Fear and Delight
Trip: Room 832: Welcome to the Witching Hour

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Current Theme Music: When You Die - MGMT
Weapon: George Hunter High School mascot costume
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Weapon: Browning Hi Power 9mm
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
G062 - Olivia Fischer prayed a thousand prayers in Ye Not [37/107]
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
Memories: Sometimes when we reach for the stars...
Weapon: Lobotomy pick.
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Pre-Game Threads: Wiping All Out - Quixotic
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
Weapon: Non-Functional Flamethrower (left in the Clubhouse)
Previous V5 Threads: Finding Center - Wish I Could Breathe - The Visionary
Memories: Offended?
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Weapon: Binoculars
Pregame Threads: Taking it to the Streets
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
new resting place for chatsig never forget 2018
give my v8 kids friends pls
VysePresident

Post by VysePresident »

"Thanks." Ian said, gratefully dropping the bag to the ground, and sinking to the cool, sandy rocks as if he'd had the weight of the world bearing down on him. At least, it felt like he did, anyway. He'd dealt with stress before, of course; what highschool student hadn't? But this was different.

Lives depended on his actions now: Bella and Juhan's for certain, along with anyone else they gathered, not to mention his own, which might still be worth sparing some thought. Then there were Gavin and the others, who were counting on them to act as a wildcard, an ace up their sleeve for a desperate gamble. But that meant they had to beat the terrorists not once, but twice at their own game, just to stand a chance. He was so thoroughly out of his depth as to be laughable.

And all the while, friends were dying, killing, or just trying desperately to survive.

To say he was stressed was comparable to saying Genghis Khan had dabbled in real estate. His own, naturally calm personality had always been a safe refuge before, a rock and a vantage point to which he could always retreat and watch the world, knowing that it couldn't break him unless he chose to let it. He didn't always choose to step back, it was true, but even during those times when he lost his temper, it was comforting to know he'd always had some degree of control. Even back at the mansion, when he'd let himself break down, there'd been a degree of thought behind his words, half-calculated even through the very real anger and misery.

Now though, the one sanctuary he'd been left on this horrible island was fully under siege, doubts and fears crowding at the gates, and though the cracks were small, still hardly noticeable, he feared it was only a matter of time before they burst open. Whatever else happened, he didn't want to lose what small shred of control he had. Didn't want to be helpless.

As Ian shifted uncomfortably on the rocks were he had chosen to make his perch, his attention shifted back to the others as he finally registered what Juhan had just said.

"Hmm? Oh sure. Yeah, Takeshi was talking about joining us too, so I guess it won't hurt to give him a few more minutes." he said absently, already shifting back to his own difficulties, before thinking better of it. He was sick of them, of wallowing in his own misery. Instead, almost tentatively, he broke the silence again.

Maybe he couldn't hold together on his own, but maybe...

"Hey, umm, guys, I just wanted to say...well, thanks coming with me. It means a lot." Then, deliberately forcing a lighter tone, he shifted gears.

"You know, I haven't seen a real cave since I was six or seven. I remember we were on vacation at the Carlsbad Caverns, and I was so scared that we'd gotten lost, because of how big the thing was." and he chuckled a little at the memory, a genuine little laugh.

...maybe they could help each other with their burdens. As friends.
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Bella toyed with a loose strand of hair as Ian and Juhan spoke, the smallest of frowns encroaching on her features as it slide between her fingers. Back at home, she'd had been proud of how thick and lustrous her hair had been, with nary a cowlick or frizz tainting what her father had labeled her "crowing glory". But here, without the myriad of products she'd once had or even the luxury of running water, it'd become nothing more than a nuisance. Leaves and debris had steadily accumulated in it, and its once sleek and straight length had devolved into a mess of curls, layered in sweat and grime. The second she was alone again she had to do something about it.

It felt so stupid to focus on something that inane, but Bella knew that focussing on something familiar, even if it was just taking care of her hair, was better than just allowing herself to get swallowed up by this whole situation. And now that they'd settled down to rest - she certainly empathised with Juhan and his exhaustion - it only increased her chances of getting too introspective and anxious; there wasn't anything else she could divert her attention towards now. There wasn't anything to stop her from thinking. That was her problem, her father had said. She thought too much, about everything, and that was where the panic and fear and hopelessness crept in.

So, anything. Anything else to stop her from thinking.

As delicately as she could, Bella dropped her bags to the ground beside Ian, and shortly followed suit. She smoothed out the hemline of her skirt, brushing off a few grains of sand, and smiled as Ian relayed that Takeshi might be joining them - he was a sweet boy; Bella would've greatly welcomed his presence - and his last experience with caves.

"I've never ever really been to a cave before. My parents... they aren't exactly outdoors-y people. Our vacations mostly consisted of going to fancy restaurants, or to the beach, occasionally. Mummy would sunbathe, and daddy would spend hours in line to get us ice creams. I think I was the only one of us who actually liked swimming." Bella wrang her hands together and smiled at the two boys. She'd tried to stop herself from talking, but... this wasn't anything that could hurt anybody, could it? She want defending a murderer, or anything like that, and this was helping to take her mind of things, and that was all she really wanted right now. Still, she knew she ought to apologise. Just in case.

"Sorry. I'm getting too sentimental." Bella paused for a moment, and looked towards the waves distantly brushing against the shore. She hadn't thought about her parents too much, what with everything that was going on - although she knew that was no excuse. She hoped they were coping well with-

No. There was no need to "hope." Of course they'd be doing fine. They were strong and smart, everything she'd wanted to be since she was a little kid. And she'd come back to them soon. The escape was going to work - it had to work - and they were all going to be happy again.

Bella knew she was getting anxious for no reason. Her mind flitted towards her medication - when was the last time she'd taken it? It was this morning, wasn't it? So that meant it was a bit too early to take another dosage. And, in any case, she couldn't just pull them out of her bag and swallow them down, not in front of everybody. She just had to wait a few moments, was all. Nothing too hard.

She hoped.
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

((Takeshi Yoshikawa continued from Mischief Managed))

Takeshi had felt somewhat torn about which group to go with. He liked both and being able to help with the execution of the plan was a very exciting idea to him, but in the end he knew he felt like he belonged with the ones he had been traveling with anyhow. They'd trusted each other up to that point and if something went wrong Takeshi wanted to be with Bella and Juhan.

He trailed behind the group, thinking as he walked. Occasionally he caught bits and pieces of their conversation. He heard his name once. They didn't know he was following. He'd hesitated too long apparently, but he was getting nearer.

"It's a shame this island was abandoned. It seems like it was a very nice place, once upon a time." Takeshi waved and strode over to join the group, sinking down beside Bella with a lazy smile.

"So, what are we talking about?"
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Zabriel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

This was good. It was great, in fact. For the first time in a long time, something wasn't happening. Yes, something would happen soon. Whether it be in a few seconds, few minutes, or even a week, this moment would end. Maybe a friend of Juhan's would die, maybe he'd die, maybe their collars would start beeping, he didn't know. But for now, he wasn't fighting for his life. He was having a nice little outing with his friends post-graduation on this quaint beach, lying down and making small talk and no one could tell him otherwise. It was a shame that the sun wasn't out anymore, but that didn't matter. He wasn't going to let such a little thing spoil his day.

But then Takeshi had to come and ruin his illusion by reminding him that they were stuck on an abandoned island.

"Yeah," Juhan said with a weak smile. "It does look beautiful. We weren't talking about much, really. Just caves and beaches and stuff." He then turned to Bella and Ian. "No need to apologize, Bella. I have to admit, the caves are slightly cool, if not a bit creepy. I also never went out much. My family's 'vacations' consisted of visiting family in Kennewick and Spokane. Actually how I got these scars," he said as he gestured to his elbows. "I was a bit of a klutz back then, so I tripped while walking down these hills in Spokane."

He trailed off and stared out into space for a bit. He wanted to believe that this was just a nightmare so badly, that maybe he was back in Spokane talking with his uncle, or maybe visiting some beach near the Olympics, but he couldn't convince himself. No matter how much he tried to, there was always something that drew him back. Maybe it would be him absent-mindedly touching the collar. Or maybe it would be seeing 'B045' on his backpack. Or maybe he'd think of a classmate that had passed away already. Or maybe he'd reach for his iPod, only to remember that the terrorists had taken that away.

As much as he hated to admit it, it would be treachery to just wait it out and pretend nothing would happen. He put himself in this position when he stayed with Ian and met up with Gavin and Megan at the beach yesterday and he couldn't go back. He almost chuckled at the thought. The lives of his classmates depended on Juhan and his friends. Never imagined that would happen, but it did. The only question left was...

"Hey Ian, what's next?"
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:
B083 - Diego Larrosa - Palayain mo na ako. - He didn't want this. say goodnight to the bad guy [10/159]
Previous Threads: Love & Money - before the day is done, my prince is gonna come - How Far I'll Go - Gimme, Gimme Shelter or I'm Gonna Fade Away - no one round here's good at keeping their eyes closed - Still Waiting - Hell is Other People - RICH_BOY_LIKES_IT_ROUGH.MP4 - I Don't Wanna Be Myself - The Bell Tolls For Our Funeral - The Gang Goes Out For Breakfast - Untrust Us - Crimewaves - Love itself is just as innocent as roses in May - Will All Be Forgiven? - black eyes looking up from below - Silent Key - it's ok we're just scared - life's alright in devil town - Beyond Human (Barely Human) - And Now Those Days Are Over and We Are All Ghosts - The Ultimate Test of Cerebral Fitness - Ang Pagbibinata ni Diego Larrosa - perverse verdict - Madness in the Method - park the car, drop that phone, sleep on the floor, dream about me

G013 - Yuka Hayashibara (adopted from Ryuki!) - Does it spark joy? - She fixed up her look in one of a kind [46/159]
Previous Threads: Quintessential Thinking - I Pray to the Lord You Reveal what His Truth is - all of our heroes fading - now i can't stand to be alone - Incredible Adventures - there's a pale imitation burnt in my eyes - Red Of Tooth And Claw - The Fifth Announcement - Low Times - Party Like It's 1999 - Hell and You - We're All Excited, We Don't Know Why, Maybe It's 'Cause, We're Gonna Die - Ron Gets a Bath As Well, Whether He Wants To or Not - No Exit

G052 - Joanne Coleman (adopted from Cicada!) - I've got a thick skin and an elastic heart. - She tried to do something in Sleep Is The Cousin Of Death [116/159]
Previous Threads: hold on to this lullaby - Don't Stray Off The Path - D.R.E.A.M. - I'm Not That Nice, I'm Mean and I'm Evil - we keep these promises, write it in a letter
Pregame: You did not break me. I'm still fighting for peace. - Desperate Times - Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown - Do You Have The Time - i'm so 3008
Memories: I'm alright. I'm just fine. And you're a tool, so. - Make A New Cult Every Day

G075 - Aditi Sharma (adopted from Brackie! and somer!) - She failed in Yellow Light [88/159]
Previous Threads: Pandorama - Antisocial Darwinism - My Lucifer Is Lonely - They Couldn't Buy A Fucking Toaster. They're Broke, John.
[+] V6
V6 Characters:
Previous Threads: Sæglópur - Until all our yesterdays are lighted fools... - the way to dusty death - a concrete cave - I'd Say That I've Had Worse Days, but Then I'd Be Lying - Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying - Until Then, You Are Free - Cast in the Name of God
[+] V5
Dead:
B045 - Juhan Levandi - An Estonian wanna-be journalist with a fear of the dark who wanted to bring them all down in Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien [18/152]
Weapon: Party Bag (contains a noisemaker, party hat, two single-serving bags of candy, and a Hotwheels car)
Previous V5 Threads: Despair - The Real Folk Blues - The two people in the distance were Paulo and Becca - Mischief Managed - Sleeper Cell - Tell No Tales - So, How Was Your Day? - And I'm Not Sleeping Now - Intermission - Glass - A Manic Depressive Named Laughing Boy
G067 - Carmina Maliksi - A Filipina car junkie with a /slight/ obsession with Korea and Japan who has finished things up (somewhat) in Red as Blood [139/152]
B054 - Oscar Trig (adopted from Greg the Anti-Viking) - An artist who desperately needs a pencil, paper and a cigar and thought with his heart in Fumble [76/152]
Previous V5 Threads: Waking Up at the Beginning of Time - Steadier Footing - Handoff
[+] misc
[+] meirl
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

((Skipping to avoid inactivity - sorry!))

Bella returned Takeshi's mellow smile and offered him small wave as he sat himself beside her, happy to have him rejoin their group. He'd been with them since back at schoolhouse, what seemed like years ago. It would've been strange not to have him alongside her and the others.

She relinquished her grip upon her hair, flicking it over her shoulders and out of her mind, and placed her hands in her lap, fingers idly tracing over the needlework of her skirt. It hadn't held up very well so far, the sticking having gradually become undone over the past few days. No small wonder - it was more for show than anything else, not exactly built for somewhere as harsh as the island. She had a spare pair of jeans in her bag, and made yet another mental note to change into something more practical as soon as possible.

She would've lingered longer on the state of her clothes, relishing in the semi-distraction they gave her, if it weren't for Juhan's next words. Her ears pricked at this, and she turned towards Ian, their designed leader, the one who'd gotten them embroiled in this plot, enabled them some semblance of hope in this place. She offered him an encouraging smile, ready to hear the next stage in their plan.
VysePresident

Post by VysePresident »

((It's cool, and I'm sorry too. Like I said in the PM, a lot of real life issues hit me at once. The post is still a lot less than I'd hoped for, but I don't want to hold you guys back any longer. Anyway, I'll delete this tomorrow to avoid cluttering the thread.))

"Hmm?"

A faint, almost mischievous smile played at the corner of Ian's mouth as he regarded his friend. If the conversation had been quieter than he might have hoped, still a little more restrained, well, it had managed to help nonetheless. There was something healing about their little chat, silly as it was, and he was already starting to feel a little more like himself again. Enough so, in fact, that even as the doubts and worries tried to creep back, despite a nagging feeling that he'd already made a mistake, amusement at the sheer absurdity of his situation won out briefly over his initial desire to panic.

"What am I going to do next? Why, I'm going to Disneyland." he said drily, or at least, tried to, though the giggle that escaped rather ruined the effect. It was a weak effort, but he'd always turned to humor when life got overwhelming. Taking oneself seriously was the surest way to go insane, it was good to be able to take a step back sometimes, and just laugh at it, and oneself.

Still, he couldn't help but feel a little embarrassed by his flippant remark almost as soon as it left his mouth, as he realized they were in fact seriously waiting for him to tell them what to do, terrifying as that thought was. He'd nearly forgotten how much he'd come to hate having people looking to him for direction over the last two days, and the stress of so many close calls and near failures had only made it worse. He'd long since tapped out the reserves of energy that had driven him onward yesterday, and now he wanted only to fade into the background; It was so much easier letting someone else take the lead, and the responsibility, like Steven back at the mansion, or Gavin yesterday. But now that wasn't an option anymore. Now it was just him and his three companions - friends - and he owed them better.

"Sorry. So sorry. I just...well, I guess I'm more have a bad habit of making light of things when I'm stressed." he muttered, his chagrin evident.

"I guess I hadn't really thought this far ahead." Another half truth, in that he hadn't really considered what their very next move was going to be, their excuse that would hopefully allow them to survive. But he did know where it all was heading. As he spoke, his hand came to rest in his pocket, brushing gently against the map resting in it, neatly folded, of course. It was the key to spreading the word about the escape; while some the others had marked down dangerzones on their maps using Karen's pen, others marking killers back at the apartments, he'd used that excuse to write a quick, rough summary of the plan on his own map.

Even as he tried to figure out what to say next, his mind ran through a mental checklist of those details for the millionth time, trying to figure out what was bothering him, to no avail.

So they wanted an answer. Fine. He had one, imperfect as it was floating vaguely in the back of his mind. He'd come to despise the need for secrecy, the constant dance around the truth, but it had been a necessity to keep them from dying a quick and painful death. But now? Well, now he could get away with some degree of honesty at least.

"Well...I don't know if you guys want me dragging you around again after last time." he said. That trip to the Northern Coast really had been a disaster, mitigated only by sheer luck, and was all the more reason for them not to be looking to him for direction. But he was on a roll at the moment, and didn't dare stop, lest he lose the momentum and never find the courage again.

"Still, here's the thing. I don't really plan on winning the game, if you want to call it that, not at the price they're asking." A brief memory of the announcements flashed by, a reminder of why he was doing this. "I guess I settled on the idea of finding my friends to do something, to stop the killing. It wasn't really that well thought out, but I'd just heard about Daniel...well, y'know." he nodded at Juhan, stuff happened, and I just...I wanted to do something."

"My plan was to gather as many people as I could, and just hold out and hope for a rescue or some other miracle." There was a trace of bitterness to his voice now that he couldn't quite help; The scene at the mansion was still quite fresh and painful in his mind. "Actually it was a lot like Gavin's strategy to just hold out and let everyone die in the meantime."

"Y'know, here's a stupid thought." Ian pulled the map out of his pocket as he spoke, praying silently that this wouldn't blow up in his face...literally, come to think of it, though he suspected the danger wouldn't come until sometime tonight. "What if everyone was following that strategy? I mean, trying to hold out in various places across the island, instead." He leaned over, unfolding the map so that at least Juhan could see it, and the writing that was on it - he had another idea in mind, and he wanted to make sure his friend knew the importance of that particular scrap of paper.. "Say, if we convinced a few people to set up in the Hotel, then maybe a few more to the schools, or some other location, we could at least minimize things for a while."

There were so many flaws in that plan that he couldn't count them all, but all that mattered was that the terrorists believe it. It was his plan, after all, even if he'd long since abandoned it, betting all his chips on the hope that he wasn't misplacing his trust in a crazy idea.

"I don't know, it's not really an answer, but it's the only scrap of one I've had."

Now came the second most important part of all this, to him at least. As he started messing with his baggage, he held out the map to Juhan, neatly folded once more.

"Oh hey, would you hold onto this for me for a moment?"

The words were casual, but as he met his friend's gaze for one instant, there was a quiet appeal in his eyes, willing Juhan to take the map and keep it. Darned if he was going to do this alone.
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Takeshi laughed wryly. "Disneyland. I wonder what it would be like, after all this." He started to rub the back of his head as his mind flashed with images of life after the game and of the present that should have been; the alternate timeline where they made it to Disneyland. Where nobody died.

"It's as much as we can hope for I think. It may just be delaying the inevitable. I guess hope is all we've got here." Takeshi liked the plan they had made, but he knew it was a longshot. Even if it worked they still had to get off the island.

We're not getting through this without a fight.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Zabriel. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

((Skipping requested by Mara. Apologies for rushing and badness.))

Bella ran her fingers through the sand, letting the grains trickle between them as Ian vocalised what was to be their 'plan', nodding and smiling all the time. If the escape didn't work out - which was impossible, because it had to and it would, there wasn't any other option - then holding up with her friends wasn't too bad an idea, really.

Bella wasn't going to win this game. She'd known that in her heart since the start, and had slowly come to terms with it. There were others who were stronger, smarter, others who wanted or deserved it more than she did. She'd been slowly preparing herself for the inevitable, Ian and Karen had brought hope to them in the form of those notes. If escape didn't happen, then she was going to die. She knew that. She didn't want to die, but if living came at the cost of losing her Garrett and her humanity then she didn't want to win.

Garrett.

God she missed him.

She wanted to be in his arms, to hear the comfort of his voice and the tenderness of his touch.

He was gonna die if this didn't work out. He was so strong and wonderful and perfect, but could he win this? Did she even want him to, when it would mean having to go through so much pain to get there?

She didn't know what she would do it this didn't work out. It had to, it needed to, but what if it didn't?

Anxieties and doubt, repressed only by a thin veneer and the limited distractions afforded to her began to rise in her chest and course through her system. Her heart began to palpitate, tightening within her chest, and her breath caught in her throat.

She just hoped nobody noticed.
Maraoone

Post by Maraoone »

Juhan smiled a little at Ian's joke about Disneyland, lame as it was. Any escape from the dreadful atmosphere of this island was usually welcomed.

He agreed with Ian's reasoning for finding his friends. That was also Juhan's plan before he found them. As he listened to Ian's 'plan', Juhan couldn't help but sigh in relief at the plan being fake. They all knew what they were supposed to do, as they had formed it last night at the freighter. He couldn't imagine just waiting it out. For the first day or so, it would be nice relaxing. But Juhan thought ahead. He always did. It was something he did when he was bored and had time to burn, and despite the fact that he always had to look behind his back here, he had found plenty of time to do that.

Eventually, something would happen. Maybe Bella or Ian or Takeshi would die. Maybe in front of his eyes. Juhan could barely stomach the idea. And then it would just be some horrible downward spiral. There were many paths, none of them good. Maybe he'd be driven mad and become a player. Maybe he'd commit suicide. Or maybe he'd spend the rest of his time moping.

He couldn't see himself 'winning' the game. There was no way. Even if he had the will, he wouldn't have the strength to do so. Eventually, someone would get him. Maybe by gunshot or by stab. No idea. But if he decided to wait it out, Juhan wouldn't go out with a bang. He'd go out with a whimper.

But that was worrying over a non-issue. Ugh, he did that so much. He cringed over minor, minor things that happened 10 years ago, even now on the island. A lot of his stress was probably caused by problems he made up in his own head.

Juhan only somewhat paid attention to what Ian was saying and simply pretended to focus his attention on him. After all, he knew that this was an excuse to form a group. As Ian pulled out the map and showed it to him, he gave a cursory glance to the writing on its back. He already knew what their job was and what they were supposed to do.

And then Ian handed the map to Juhan and looked at him. To the cameras, it probably, hopefully, looked like a minor favor, but for the two of them, it meant so much more than that. He was being entrusted with the key to their freedom. It was only now he started thinking of how much worse it must be like for Ian and the others in Gavin's group. They were the ones making the plans. If any tiny glitch showed up in their plan, it'd fall on them. After all, Juhan and the others just sat there, reading, adding tiny details that probably didn't mean anything.

So he met Ian's gaze and smiled slightly. "Yeah, I'll hold onto it for you." He got the map and tucked it slightly in his bag, in between the first-aid kit and the pipe bombs.

He heard Takeshi's remark about Disneyland, but only gave a small nod to Takeshi. Fun as it was to daydream about what-ifs, it was only fantasy. That was the hardest part and why Juhan was starting to grow sick of daydreaming. It was only imagination. You could dream about being in space, being a Hollywood actor, any of your lifelong dreams. But, especially here, the higher you go, the harder you fall.
[+] the youfs
[+] V7
V7:
Dead:

[+] V6
V6 Characters:
[+] V5
Dead:
[+] misc
[+] meirl
VysePresident

Post by VysePresident »

"Right, great plan." Ian muttered under his breath, looking a little sourly at the others.

They nodded, they smiled, they barely seemed to notice that he might have just sealed their fate, for better or worse. Did they even really care? It was a terrible plan, just ask Steven. If anything went wrong, they were dead, and they all just sat there waiting for him to be the one to make it all work out somehow.

But that wasn't fair or honest, and he knew it; weren't Bella and Takeshi just coping, like he was? It wasn't them, it was him, his worries, and it wasn't fair to ask them to share those when he'd hardly known them for more than a couple of days.

Juhan got it though. He could read his friend much more readily than the other two, and saw his own worry mirrored in there as he let the map slip out of his fingers, and a load off his shoulders. He'd only nodded a thanks before turning back to root through his bag, but it had meant a great deal, to know he had someone he could trust.

He was visibly relaxing now, even if it still wasn't perfect. There was still nagging sense of something wrong lurking at the edge of memory, but even that was quickly shoved aside when he heard a little gasp from Bella.

"Hey, are you alright?"

She looked a little pale now, and he shifted, half ready to jump on his little shelf if she started to faint or something. He glanced helplessly at Juhan and Takeshi; he hadn't a clue what to do if she'd managed to catch something nasty. It was plenty possible though; the island certainly was a beautiful health hazard. It just figured.

Escape canceled due to flu. Just his luck.
Zabriel†

Post by Zabriel† »

Takeshi turned to look at Bella as Ian addressed her. Something seemed off, but the kind of sick that people got on death islands was from infections. Takeshi couldn't think of anything that had happened while they had traveled together that would have made Bella sick, but he could think of several reasons why a person might be feeling overwhelmed by anxiety. Takeshi reached to lay a hand on Bella's shoulder blade.

"Things are going to be alright. That's the only thing we can afford to believe right now." Takeshi sighed and looked into the distance. He had plenty of doubts about the plan. Realistically, they would most likely die in their attempt, but the only other option was to give into the system.

However it ends, I'm living on my terms.
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Bella forced a smile as Ian addressed her and Takeshi brushed against her shoulder, enwrapping herself within her sweater and shifting herself upon the makeshift seat she'd constructed. She didn't want any of them to worry about her, not when there were bigger things to worry about than her silly anxieties. They'd think she was useless if that were the case; they'd leave her behind, and she didn't think she could cope on her own out there, not with all of the murderers, the murderers that she'd at one point defended. They'd leave her and then everything'd be ruined. She clenched her eyes tightly shut, struggling to grab ahold to any of the plethora of thoughts that whirled incoherently in her head. She couldn't think properly, and that's what she needed to do now more than anything.

Part of her knew that she was overreacting, that everything wasn't so bad as all that, but the fear and panic she'd been rejecting was slowly swallowing it up.

"I'm fine, Ian. I'm just... just a little chilly is all, nothing to worry about. Thank you, though."

It was a terrible excuse, but her mind clearly wasn't in the right place right now and she didn't want to risk saying anything more elaborate. Being cold was something easily remedied, right? They wouldn't reject her for something so simple, would they? They'd be reassured she was fine and then just move on, not paying any attention to the uneven rising of her chest and the paleness that'd passed over her face.

She thought for a moment of her pills, of just pulling the jar from her bag and taking her dosage there and then. That'd be the logical thing to do, but if she did that then they'd remember, they'd know about her disorder, and she didn't know what they'd do then. She just wanted them to move on, for everything to be fine, and that wouldn't happen if she couldn't keep her anxieties under wraps for awhile.

So she kept her smile up, and prayed that it worked.

Return to “Dead Man's Grotto”