Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good!

Numerous offices and cubicles pepper the center building of the nuclear plant. Some of the offices are separate rooms, but many of them are simply cubicles enclosed in larger rooms. Desks litter the area, but most personal belongings have since disappeared.
MurderWeasel

Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good!

Post by MurderWeasel »

((Adam Morgan continued from Broken Down))

Somehow, Adam had led everyone not to some greater bastion of shops and civilization, but rather to the nuclear plant itself. He'd followed a road, figuring it would lead somewhere interesting, and by the time they'd found themselves in the shadow of the plant he'd figured that it was about time for a rest. Besides, there was a good chance their classmates would avoid this place, and he, Maynard, and Natali were probably already close enough to have been subjected to whatever testicle-shriveling radiation was floating in the air, so he figured they might as well press on and give it a look.

He'd been cautious approaching the area, just in case there was someone lurking, but it had been quiet and calm, seemingly completely abandoned. Adam had considered checking out the parking garage or one of the reactors, but the former seemed likely to be full of spots for potential ambushes, like a paintball course played with live ammunition, and the latter seemed likely to be even more radioactive than everything else. Neither of his companions had pushed to explore either, so he'd not given them any further consideration as destinations.

Instead, he stood before a large, central building. It looked like an office of some sort, which meant it could even have something inside worth scrounging. More than that, it might have someplace where Maynard could finally get a bit of privacy and change his pants. It had occurred to Adam on their way out of the town that the boy couldn't be comfortable wandering around soaked in his own piss, and now that they had a moment there was no reason he couldn't get changed.

"What d'you guys think?" Adam said. "Good place to take a break?"

He squinted, peering through the windows closest the door. There was no movement inside. It seemed that they may have actually found a safe location to rest for a bit. With night coming closer, that felt like a very good thing to Adam.
Avatar art by the lovely and inimitable Kotorikun
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

((Maynard Hurst continued from Broken Down))

His naginata dragging on the asphalt as he came to a halt, Maynard gazed up at the building that stood before the trio. The pain in his side had only worsened as they'd made their way here, but Maynard had bitten his lip and given no word of complaint. He was useless already, and didn't want to prove a further hindrance to either Adam or Natali. Only now did he loosen the tightened grip that he held on his stomach, and murmered a faint "Ow".

This place looked safer than the residential buildings, and although a sense of doubt over the security it'd provide for them passed through Maynard's mind, he ignored it. Right now his main priority was to sit down and have a rest. Oh, and change his pants - his jeans had proved incredibly itchy over the past few minutes. Although he'd become accustomed to the ammoniac scent that followed him, it was still somewhat embarrassing, and he couldn't wait to be rid of it.

His train of thought was interrupted as Adam spoke from his position at one of the nearby windows.

"Oh, yeah! This place looks great, Adam."
backslash

Post by backslash »

((Natali Greer continued from Broken Down))

Natali planted her hands on her hips as she looked up at the nuclear plant. While she was disappointed that they hadn't found any shops and more than a little apprehensive about what might be inside the plant, she couldn't deny that the chance to rest inside a building that wasn't surrounded by broken glass appealed to her.

"It looks fine to me." She called over to Adam, and then offered a sympathetic frown to Maynard. Walking all this way dragging that weapon of his and with soiled pants to boot couldn't have been fun. Maynard might be more of a trooper than she and Adam were giving him credit for.

Natali shifted her bag to the opposite shoulder, stretching and flexing her freed arm. "I'm all for hunkering down somewhere for awhile. My arms might fall off otherwise." Was that in bad taste? Could she joke about losing limbs when it was entirely likely that the three of them might not live to see the sun rise tomorrow?

Well, jokes couldn't make their overall situation any worse at this stage. Natali could very well just sit down and crack bad jokes until she really did lose a limb.

There was a cheery thought. Better head inside before she got too morbid to accomplish anything.
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Sweet," Adam said. "In we go, then."

He wasn't about to knock this time. He didn't see anyone by the door, and if there was anyone lurking inside, he figured they'd have a better time negotiating the right to stay if they had already established a foothold in the building. It was clear that taking the polite route was gonna get them precisely fuck-all, and Adam really didn't want to have to march Maynard and Natali to still another destination. He figured they were probably getting exhausted, and while he felt he personally could keep going if he had to, the prospect sure wasn't appealing compared to sitting for a few minutes.

Adam made his way to the door, pulled it open, and looked inside. It looked like a typical reception area, and down a hallway, through an open door, he could see what looked like a room full of cubicles. Great. They could play Dilbert while waiting to die.

For bonus fun, a lot of small, isolated crannies would make it next to impossible to get a quick idea of whether anyone else was here, assuming they didn't want to be found. Anyone seeking to ambush them would have a good chance of pulling it off, so they'd have to proceed with caution. At the same time, if the area was abandoned or housed only friendlies, it would be really defensible, give them a good way to evade anyone looking for trouble.

"Hello?" Adam called. When no response came after a few seconds, he turned back to Maynard and Natali.

"Okay, guys," he said. "I don't think anyone's here, but be careful, pay attention. Try to stay quiet, and listen real closely. You hear anything, get my attention. It looks pretty dense in there, so we want to stay together, just in case."

Things could get a lot worse than a sore nose and a scare with a door, and Adam was pretty sure he'd be unlikely to bear the brunt of it, since he actually knew how to deal with a fight. Maynard and Natali were under his protection, though, so any harm that befell them would only do so due to a failing on his part. Giving them a bit of coaching would help all of them avoid that risk.
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Maynard nodded in reply to Adam's instructions and stuck close to him and Natali as they continued to move through the reception area. He had to admire the way Adam'd kept his cool over the course of their journey, especially when his company wasn't the most desirable. Well, Natali was pretty helpful. He, on the other hand, was pretty much a tag-along kid.

Oh, I'm kinda hungry. I should've eaten something before I got on the plane. Well, I had that can of coke from the vending machine, but that wasn't much sustenance.

Maynard made sure that his naginata didn't continue to drag along the carpet of the reception area as their journey continued. The noise was kinda annoying, and it wouldn't do for the handle to hook around something and send him tumbling onto the floor. He wasn't the most gracious boy when it came to movement. How Gwen had managed to tolerate his "dancing" at Prom was beyond him. It's 'cause she's too gracious to say otherwise, obviously.

He turned towards Natali and gave her a thumbs up. He hoped she was doing okay - he hadn't paid much thought to her as they'd made their way to the power plant. She certainly looked like she was holding up alright, but Maynard knew that looks could be deceiving.
backslash

Post by backslash »

Natali flashed a smile and returned Maynard's thumbs-up as they headed in. Though she smiled, she really was worn-out and hoped that they wouldn't run into anyone here. Where the broken glass littering the street in the Living Site had crunched under their feet, the carpet here muffled their steps and gave everything a spooky feeling. Natali didn't want to say that everything they encountered made her nervous but, well, it kind of did.

Unfortunately, an office building probably wouldn't have anything in the way of the supplies they wanted, unless they decided that eating whatever paper was laying around sounded like a good idea. Still, maybe one of these cubicles would have something at least marginally useful, like a staple gun or something.

Natali peered into the cubicles as they walked past, keeping an eye out for anything interesting. "They cleaned out pretty thoroughly." She called out to the boys. "But at least we're probably not going to find anything more threatening than dust bunnies and staples."
"Art enriches the community, Steve, no less than a pulsing fire hose, or a fireman beating down a blazing door. So what if we're drawing a nude man? So what if all we ever draw is a nude man, or the same nude man over and over in all sorts of provocative positions? Context, not content! Process, not subject! Don't be so gauche, Steve, it's beneath you."
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"Yeah," Adam said. "Looks pretty empty."

He was in front, listening closely but finding nothing but silence. He was also looking at the ground, and what he saw led him to believe that at least this section of the office building was completely abandoned. A thin layer of dust had built up on the floor, and they scuffed it as they walked. Aside from the marks their group left, however, the dust was undisturbed, which meant that nobody else had probably come this way since the start of the game. Of course, there were sure to be other entrances; he'd even seen a few likely places from the outside. If they met anyone else, though, it would probably be in the context of the someone else wandering into their section of the building.

All of this let Adam feel confident enough to loosen up a little, rolling his shoulders and letting his attention drift a little bit. They were in a large room full of cubicles, with several exits to other parts of the building, all of which lay behind closed doors. For now, the area was all theirs. It would be a very good place to hunker down.

Adam took a few turns, heading towards the center of the cubicle maze. He wanted somewhere that wasn't immediately within view of any of the doors. Once he found a good location, he entered a cubicle, then hopped up onto the desk. From there, he could see above the little dividers between the cubicles, affording him a good view of the entire room. Taking that sort of sentry position would make them hard to sneak up on indeed, though poking his head above the dividers would probably blow his cover in remarkably short order.

Turning back to Maynard and Natali, Adam hopped off the desk.

"I think we'll be good to hang here a bit," he said, pulling the chair that had been tucked under the desk out and spinning it around before collapsing into it. It was a pretty nice seat for an office chair, he decided, soft and plush and not in too bad shape given how long it seemed it had been since anyone had been here. Better still, the desk had kept most of the dust off the cushion, so his ass wouldn't be grey when he stood up.

"Make yourselves comfortable, grab a chair from one of the other places. You can step next door and get changed, if you want."

That last was directed at Maynard, and Adam nodded towards the wall between his cubicle and the adjoining one. Maynard could have enough privacy without being separated from them in case anything went wrong.
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Maynard ungracefully dropped his belongings onto the floor of the cublicle Adam had led the group to. He flexed his arm, grateful to be free of the dead weight the dufflebag had provided. It seemed a nice enough place, if not a little bit like those office-based comedies he saw on television sometimes. He let out a sigh as he observed the place in a bit more detail. It wasn't much to look at, but aesthetics weren't particularly high on Maynard's priorities.

He nodded in reply to Adam's suggestion, dropping his naginata and replacing it with the canvas backpack he'd dragged along with him for the trip. It seemed suspiciously lighter when he'd picked it up on the beach, and he wondered how much the terrorists had taken from it before dumping it alongside his unconscious figure on the shore.

Tentatively weaving in behind another, identical cublicle, Maynard pulled out his belongings, hurriedly searching for whatever spare clothing he'd brought with him. They'd taken the few volumes of Black Butler he'd brought, along with his new notebook. Ugh, I bought those special. Well, that's thirty dollars I won't be seeing again...

Maynard couldn't help but laugh as the thought entered his mind. He was standing in what could possibly be his deathsite, and he was complaining about the loss of a few volumes of manga and a blank notebook. Jeeze, Maynard. Priorities.

After a few minutes of sorting through his belongings, Maynard found what he was looking for - a change of pants. It was a pair of dark blue skinny jeans, a size too big for him. Thank god they left me my belt, then. Wouldn't do to have my pants falls down in the middle of a gunfight. Having unzipped his soiled trousers, he peeled the stained fabric away and paused for a moment. It was rather chilly, without any pants on.

I must look ridiculous standing here, in a pair of boxers which are - oh god, they're stained as well.

"Uh... I'm just getting into the nitty-gritty of getting changed here, so... uh... just give me a minute, 'kay?" Maynard half-whispered between the shared wall as his fingers clenched around a spare pair of underpants - black satin briefs. A bit itchy, but that was much more preferable than standing drenched in his own urine. There was a moment of tenseness as Maynard stumbled out of his boxers, standing exposed for a short while, but once he'd tugged on the other pair it was clean sailing.

Oh god I hope my parents don't see this.

His parents. He'd almost forgotten about them, somehow. Them and his brother and sister. Would they be watching? He doubted it. August had always professed to being interested in SotF, but Maynard had been a suspicious child, and as a youngster didn't believe half of what August said

Oh god, mum. Mum and dad and grandma and Junie and Gus and...

Later. He'd think about them later. They were safe, that was certain. They were safe, and so many others were not. He'd find them first, then think of everything else later.

He threw everything back into his dufflebag and returned to Natali and Adam, pulling up a nearby chair.

"Well, that was fun."
BROseidon†

Post by BROseidon† »

((Cassandra Black continued from Scavengers))

Cassandra's legs burned. Her back ached. Her body held a layer of salty grime from her sweat.

They had walked for four or five hours. Alex had been moving pretty quickly the whole time; Cassandra struggled to keep up. She let the other girl lead the way. Alex seemed to have a plan and was intent on following through with it, and Cassandra was fine to let that happen. They did not have anything to converse about on the way, and talking would have just slowed them down.

Cassandra did not have much to reflect on during the hike. She spent most of her time internally complaining that they had not taken the ten minutes to move their stuff around and get rid of whatever they did not need. The rest of the time she spent internally complaining about how long the hike was. It was not that it was hard work; Cassandra could spend a lot of time doing work she did not care about. The work just had to be mental, not physical. Cassandra always wished a little bit that she had been more of an athlete, but now she was really regretting never taking up a sport.

By the time they got to the nuclear plant, it was fairly late. The sun was setting behind the pair as they approached the office building at the center of the nuclear plant. It was time for them to take a break. Find shelter, hunker down for the night. Alex's plans could wait for tomorrow.

"Let's head inside, settle down for the night," Cassandra said, still panting. "We can take turns keeping watch while we sleep and hopefully avoid anyone dangerous. Oh, and we can lighten our load and leave some stuff here, too. There's now way I'm going to be able to keep carrying all this stuff."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler BROseidon. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
backslash

Post by backslash »

Natali pulled up a chair and started rooting through her bag, pulling out a bottle of water.

"I think that after we've had some time to rest, I'm going to look around and see if I can find any kind of paper and pens. I want to make a list of things to do; we'll stand a better chance if we're organized."

She sipped her water and leaned back in her chair as Maynard returned in clean clothes. "If you guys have any suggestions for things to do, that'd be great. I don't know so much about this survival in the wild stuff."

Natali closed her eyes and sighed. She really didn't know anything about trying to survive on her own. She kind of suspected that if she hadn't stuck with Adam and Maynard,she'd have probably wandered off a cliff or something by now.

"I guess we could also take turns sleeping and keeping a watch or something? This place is so big, there's bound to be someone turning up sooner or later. I'm just glad we got here first this time."
Slam

Post by Slam »

((Alex King continued from Scavengers))

The only reason that Alex had been moving quicker than Cassandra for the entire hike was that she was more determined. Even though her lungs were burning like hellfire, sweat soaked her forehead and her face had since turned a desperate shade of crimson red, her mind was as focused and prepared as ever. Her body ached from the long hike, and her skin ached under the summer sun, no doubt made worse by her stubborn choice of clothing, but she just kept running the plans in her head to distract herself from the face that she fucking hated goddamn hiking with a burning oh god was this fucking trip ever going to FUCKING END?!

When they reached the nuclear plant, Alex had wanted to keep going so that she could get to know her surroundings, in spite of her exhausted state. Her legs however, which were more than ready to buckle on her if she didn't sit down already, disagreed with that plan. Thankfully, Cassandra actually had the good enough idea in her otherwise retarded life to suggest they stop, which meant that Alex didn't have to suggest they stop. That way, she could blame someone else for the delay in the execution of her master escape plan. At least, she could if she still had enough energy to give a shit about blaming people.

"Whatever." She muttered in between gasps for air, supporting herself against the wall of the office block as she breathed in and out. God knew that she didn't want to keep carrying around both bags like this, and since she had the fucking sense to own a rucksack instead of one of those piddly ass tiny purses, she'd probably be okay shoving everything in there. Really, she should've been smart enough to think of that to begin with, a thought that just made her lungs ache more for the extra effort.

Finally, she gained enough of her breath back that she could afford to keep moving a little longer. She didn't bother to check in the windows, as Adam had done before her, but instead moved straight to the door and forced it open with as little grace as humanly possible. Right now, the only important thing in her life, apart from getting off of death island, was getting some goddamn R&R.

"Let's just find somewhere to take a fucking sit down, already."
My V8 Relationship Thread!
[+] Dead V7 Kids
B035: LUCAS BRADY - Had Enough - 1 - 2 - 3- 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9
G002: ELISABETH "LIZZIE" LEBOWSKI - "You've been a great audience." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7
[+] Pregame Shenanigans
Lucas Brady - Facebook!Lucas - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6
Elisabeth "Lizzie" Lebowski - "My parents told me to make a good signature, so I signed a note promising I would do it later." - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
MurderWeasel

Post by MurderWeasel »

"I guess pens are good," Adam said. He didn't actually care at all; writing lists seemed like a way to add boring busywork to the other horrors they were doomed to suffer before their deaths. Maybe it had some kind of nerdy calming effect on Natali, though, and Adam didn't begrudge anyone their ways of staying sane. He just wasn't gonna participate, not unless their very survival depended on it. SOTF wasn't the right place for homework.

"I can take first watch," he added. He wasn't tired at all, and wanted to do a little more recon of their area. Since he had a good idea of the layout, he'd be able to see what he could find while staying close enough to get back if anything went wrong. The others would be fine, and Adam might be able to give them some tactical insights before their turns on watch. Now that Maynard had fresh pants and they all had places to sit, things were looking at least a little brighter.

Then came the noise. There was a scrape and a bang as the door back in the lobby opened and slammed against the doorstop. Adam froze for half a second, then grabbed his sword. He got off the chair and started slowly moving out of the cubicle, past Maynard and Natali.

"Stay here, stay quiet," he said. "I'll check it out. If they're friendly, I'll bring 'em back. If they're not, I'll sneak back and we can bail out the back."

Unless he could lay any hostile intruders out on their asses, but Maynard and Natali might object to that aspect of the plan, so Adam didn't bother cutting them in on it. Fighting was something that was pretty hard for non-fighters to understand. If Maynard and Natali wanted to back him up, it would make things way worse; Adam knew he had enough self control and discretion not to fuck someone up in any sort of serious way unless he was trying to, but he sure couldn't say the same for the others, especially if they started swinging Maynard's weapon around.

Adam moved slowly, taking small, quiet steps, as he approached the door into the lobby. He kept the banks of cubicles in the way, planning not to be seen until he was real close to whoever it was. His weapon didn't give him much range advantage, and he wanted to be close enough to keep them at bay if they had guns. Besides, there was a good chance he'd just need to hear whoever it was to know they weren't worth messing with, in which case he'd collect the others and they could bug out unseen.
Sansa

Post by Sansa »

Maynard gasped as the he heard the noise come from within the group's proximity. He didn't begrudge Adam's choosing of taking watch first. If anything, he was kinda glad. If I was assigned watch now I think I'd keel over from exhaustion. Oh, it's so hard to keep my eyes open. His vision was blurring slightly, and his head became steadily heavier with each breath, but Maynard knew that he had to keep alert. He had a potential job to do - pack up their stuff and hide - and he couldn't let anything get in the way of accomplishing this mission.

He crouched by his own bag and began to order things a bit more neatly. At the moment it was a mess, the canvas overflowing with loose sleeves and the tail of a set of earphones - not something easily carried in any circumstance, even more so if they had to hightail it out of there.

"Hey...Natali..." He spoke in a whisper, not wishing to disrupt any plans Adam had; Maynard hoped the taller boy'd be alright in his investigations. "Uh...I wanted to say thanks. For um, putting up with my lack-of-abilities. I really appreciate it." He managed a smile - he was awful at it, but the effort was what counted, right?
BROseidon†

Post by BROseidon† »

Cassandra followed Alex into the office building. Cassandra shuttered briefly at the door's clang, hoping that nobody was inside to hear it. If someone was inside, the two of them would know soon enough, and Alex would probably snap at them and yell at them to leave. Hopefully she just would not get them both killed.

The reception area of the office was nice. Sure, there were cubicles down the hall, but the reception area was right there. They could take a break, move their things around as needed, and then move into the cubicles for the night. Maybe there would be couches somewhere that would be even more comfortable. Cassandra was not sure how well she would be able to sleep without some sort of bedding. It would be a first for her.

She threw her bags on the ground near the doorway, a bit to the right. She did not want anyone coming in to be able to see her moving her stuff, but she still did not want to move too far. She was tired. She just wanted this rubbish day to be over. Maybe it would all turn out to be a dream, and she would wake up tomorrow and be able to go to Disneyland after all.

Or maybe not. Maybe she would just wait around until someone killed her. The nuclear plant was as good a place as any to wait everything out, too.

"Okay, let's get this stuff moved. Then we can camp here for the night," Cassandra said as she opened her two bags.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler BROseidon. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
backslash

Post by backslash »

They just couldn't seem to catch a break, could they? Natali took another swig of water before replacing the bottle in her bag and zipping it as quietly as possible. She wanted to be prepared to grab the bag and run if she needed to. She reached over to pick her crowbar up again, reassured by its weight in her hand.

Was that good, that she felt better holding something that could be used as a weapon?

Natali crouched down by Maynard and smiled back at him. "It's fine." She whispered, reaching over to give his arm a quick squeeze, trying to be comforting. "You've been doing great. It's not like anyone could have been prepared for this."

Even though she was trying to reassure Maynard, Natali felt herself getting tenser as the silence stretched on. It was hard to stay alert, and her eyelids felt heavier by the second. She wished she knew what would be worse: nodding off and not being able to jump in to help if Adam needed it, or not being fully alert if they needed to run.

Return to “Offices”