The Innocent Ones

G39 start

A beautiful shore. An overturned canoe sits upon the white, sparkling sands. If the SOTF ACT wasn't going on, this shore might just be considered beautiful. But, because it's on this particular island, the shore's white sands seem to beg to be painted with red.
Swoosh*

The Innocent Ones

Post by Swoosh* »

"So how was school today, sweetie?" Mrs Webber smiled as she turned the corner of the road. Cassie Webber was sat next to her in the passenger seat, humming along to the radio. Cassie glanced over and smiled. She had a smile that lit up her entire face, that otherwise was pale. Reaching down to fiddle with the radio, she spoke.

"Hmm. Not bad. The usual," she commented, pressing buttons and twisting various dials. "Some girl in our class got excused from gym because her hayfever was bad, but other than that, nothing really exciting happened."

Mrs Webber smiled, and stole a quick glance at her daughter. "Seatbelt on, Cassie," she remarked, and Cassie sat up straight, turning behind her to reach for the seatbelt.

"So what's for dinner tonight?" she asked, as she grasped the seatbelt buckle. Turning around, she saw a car coming towards their car at an alarming rate. Her mother gasped. Cassie heard a car horn blasting out, the skidding of tyres. Her eyes widened as her mother spun the wheel harshly...

...that was the last thing she heard for three months.

Girl # 39, Cassie Webber, had woken up on the island some time ago, dazed and confused. It wasn't the first time in her life that she'd woken up in a strange situation, not knowing what was going on, and wanting to know answers, but this time she didn't have her mother and various nurses to ease her back into the flow of life; there was no one this time. She had been on the Eastern Shore for since the game began, carefully concealed behind a rock. Of course, she had come out every now and again, but ducked back down at the sign of any life. She had seen plenty of signs of life during her time on the island, and similarly plenty of signs of death and destruction. She had seen Ash Holmes' tongue being ripped out, she had seen Ken Mendel swimming out only to be slaughtered at sea, she had seen the shoot out between Stevan and Jason- she had seen it all, and the dead bodies that had been left behind were a lasting reminder to her.

And every time, she had done nothing but watch.

No one had noticed her. No one had heard her stiffled gasps as one atrocsity was committed after another, and for this she was thankful. She didn't particularly stand out at school; people liked her enough, but her grades were consistently good, she wasn't a sports star and she didn't really have anything else to offer that was exciting. Not like some of the other people in her class.

But they were dead now.

Cassie had heard all of Danya's announcements from the very position she was in now, crouched down behind the rocks. At first it was a shock to hear the names of her classmates being read out, declared as dead, but after the fifth time Cassie found herself used to it. Many of her friends had died throughout the course of the game, but she hadn't even as much as received a scrape. She had heard the gunshots and the screaming, but no one had heard her. No one.

This was to be her game plan. Just stay here, quiet as a mouse, keeping an eye out for any danger. And should danger rear it's ugly head, she would stay still and quiet and hide. It had worked so far and, with the hope that the area would never become a Danger Zone, it would keep on working. It had to. She had convinced herself of that much.
I am an archival account used by staff to port old posts from handlers no longer active. If you are this handler, get in touch with staff and we can get your posts back for you! Elise avatar by Kermit.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

((Continued from: ...Starin' Down the Barrel of a .45...))

Since he had left the house, Ryan had done nothing except run. He felt as though he had run laps across the entire island. Not being in the greatest physical shape, the huge amount of exercise had probably done Ryan more harm than good. Despite the sharp pains shooting up his sides, he had continued to run. How, as he came upon the shoreline, Ryan finally slowed to a halt. He fell onto his hands and knees in the sparkling white sand, trying desperately to avoid looking at the bodies that littered the ground nearby.

Gasping desperately for oxygen, Ryan had let go of the bowie knife, letting it rest in the sand beside him. Had there been water in that bag they had issued him. As he finally started to regain his breath, he hastily unzipped his daypack, and grabbed one of the water bottles. Taking the cap off and holding it in his shaking hands, he took a long drink, emptying nearly half the bottle.

"My God," Ryan gasped, "I don't ever want to do that again..."

He leaned back, collapsing onto his daypack, all the while keeping an eye on his bowie knife. People had been killed here, that much was evident, but by the looks of the corpses, it had been a while since their untimely demise. Despite that, he used his foot to slide the knife closer to his hand... just in case. The shore seemed pretty deserted. He could not see or hear anyone else around. That was probably a good thing. If no one else was here, he would know that he was safe, for the moment, anyway. He silently wondered if the person he had barely avoided an encounter with at that house might have followed him here.

Not hearing any footsteps around him, Ryan somehow doubted that. He took another drink of the water, this time just a sip, before placing it back in his daypack. He had completely spent himself in his terrified run from the house, and now he was completely and utterly exhausted. His body had all but given out on him, not used to that kind of intense pressure. The only thing that had gotten him this far was pure adrenaline, and the fact that he did not want to die.

He looked toward the ground, continuing to gasp for air. Shutting his eyes for a moment, the smell of the rotting bodies lying nearby mingled with the fresh air from the seabreeze. One body, perhaps it had once been a girl, but now she was too bloated for him to really be able to tell... she let off a rancid and grotesque smell. The water had aided in her decomposition. He avoided looking at the bodies, but felt a tinge of remorse for the poor kids who had come onto this island only to find themselves dead in a matter of hours. Then again, the corpses over there could have lived for days. He did not know, nor did he really care. At this point, Ryan was thankful to not be one of them.
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Swoosh*

Post by Swoosh* »

Cassie was sat with her hands around her knees, her back leaning against the rock, looking out at the rock wall in front of her dully. She never realised how boring trying to stay alive could have been. True, she had been safe and unharmed since she arrived, but she hadn't spoken to a single person for the whole five days and it was beginning to make her slightly restless. Still, restless was better off than dead.

She had gotten used to the smell of the corpses now, in fact she had gotten used to pretty much everything. She was almost beginning to feel quite at home. Listening to the seabirds overhead and the rhythmic sounds of the water moving up and down the beach was somewhat peaceful given the situation she was in. Too bad she was fighting for survival, or she might have enjoyed it somewhat.

She was shaken out of her stupor at the sound of footsteps pounding against the sound. Being well rehearsed in the situation but nonetheless terrified, Cassie automatically grabbed her designated weapon, a baton, and turned around behind the rock, crouching low so she was still more or less hidden from view. Her heart was racing as she looked around wildly, desperate to locate the source of the noises. What if it was someone with a gun? What if it was someone she didn't know? She had to stay quiet, but the fear was so overwhelming that she had to put a hand to her mouth to stop herself from crying out.

It was then that she saw him, the exhausted figure of Ryan Ashmore collapsing on the sand. Was he hurt? Cassie squinted her eyes and studied his panting form closely. He appeared to just be tired, there were no physical markings on him. Raising her head slightly to get a closer look, she noticed he had been carrying some sort of knife.

She didn't know too much about Ryan, she didn't hang out with him much at school but he didn't seem like one of the bad kids. She had spoken to him a couple of times before and she knew he was smart, an attribute she always admired. Would he really be one of those playing the game? Would he be the type to cut out people's tongues, to drown others... would he really kill? Cassie doubted it, but still, the risk was far too high. Ryan was a nice kid and all, but this game did things to 'nice kids'.

She couldn't risk it. She couldn't go out and talk to him, as tempting as it seemed. She had to stay hidden and quiet. Almost regretfully she bent her knees to turn around and sit back down... the baton scraping against the rock she had been leaning on, the noise making Cassie's heart leap out of her mouth. Surely he had heard that. There was no doubt, it wasn't like there were any other noises that Ryan would have been distracted with. Shaking, Cassie dropped the baton and clamped both hands over her mouth, resisting every urge she had to scream.
I am an archival account used by staff to port old posts from handlers no longer active. If you are this handler, get in touch with staff and we can get your posts back for you! Elise avatar by Kermit.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

At the sound of the scraping noise, Ryan's eyes jolted upward. Was someone else here? Maybe it was just an animal or something. Come on now, Ryan... do YOU know of any animal that makes that kind of noise?! In a panic, he reached out and clutched the bowie knife. He certainly did not want to use it, but if he had to defend himself, by God, he would. He stood up, shaking as his nervousness and anxiousness got the better of him. Leaving his daypack in the sand, he dusted the excess sand off of his jeans absent-mindedly.

Should he call out and let them know he was not playing? No. If whoever was there was playing, and he told them he was not, they would pick him off for sure, here and now. Maybe they had not seen him. Perhaps he still had the element of surprise. Slowly, trying not to make any sudden movements, but at the same time, watching for a potential attacker, he made his way toward the direction from which the noise came. I may have to kill someone right now. I may have to kill them if I want to survive. I don't want to hurt anybody, really... but dammit, I'm not going to lay down and die here.

As he approached the rock formation, gleaming knife held in a defensive position, he was almost startled by what he saw. A young girl sat there, looking terrified. Should he put the knife away? What if she was just putting on an act? She could have made that noise on purpose, hoping he would come over, and now she might try to kill him. Was she another murderer, just like everyone else seemed to be in this place? Somehow, though, Ryan could not force himself to believe that. The look of terror in her eyes was genuine, and Ryan knew he must have looked just like another one of those maniacs as he wielded the knife.

This girl was a familiar face. They were not exactly friends, but she had talked to Ryan once in a while. She was one of the few people at school who had actually been nice to him. He could not see Cassie Webber murdering someone in cold blood. Then again, some of the names that were called out on the last announcement had startled him as well. People he had never expected to play the game... people like Adam Dodd, that popular boy from school, for example. Finally, to break the tension, Ryan spoke. It was quiet, almost inaudible, but his nerves were getting the better of him.

"What are you doing here?" Ryan inquired, "Are you... hiding? Or are you playing along too? I don't want to die, Cassie. Please don't make me use this. Please tell me you're still sane. The people on this island, they're all murderers..."

Ryan's tone was almost pleading at this point. He was scared to death that the girl would lunge at him. Not so much because he thought she was stronger than him, as the contrary was probably true, but more because he did not want to have to fight a girl. Especially one that he knew. If it were someone he did not know, or someone he did not like, he would have no problem taking them on but... Ryan could not rightfully kill someone who had actually been nice to him and feel like the same person in the morning. For that matter, could you really kill anyone, even someone you hated, and feel right afterward?

"They've killed fifty people... I don't want to be next. I hope to God you haven't lost it like the rest of them, but if you have... make no mistake, I do intend to defend myself."
This is an archival account used by staff to port posts belonging to the handler Megami. While this handler hasn't been around in quite a while, should they return and wish to take custody of this account and/or its posts, they are welcome to do so by contacting staff.
Swoosh*

Post by Swoosh* »

Oh God. He heard me. He's coming for me. He's coming to kill me!

The footsteps came closer and closer but Cassie couldn't run. She couldn't even bring herself to turn back around and look at the boy, she just sat there, quiet but terrified, her heart pounding so hard that it hurt.

It would be natural, of course. There would be no way that she could have survived this thing; she certainly wasn't the strongest person by a long shot, quite the contrary, her frail figure gave off the impression that she couldn't even lift a sword, let alone use it. She would be an easy kill.

As the footsteps got closer, Cassie began to tremble more violently. Ryan approached her, knife shining in his hand. She looked up at him, her back pressed so hard up against the wall that she was almost going through it. Whether it was because she was sat down, or just because she was terrified, but Ryan seemed a lot taller and more intimidating than she had remembered him to be like at school. Her baton lay beside her, useless and forgotten as she gazed up at him, feeling very much like a small mouse being caught by a cat. There was nothing she could do now, he had found her and was going to kill her.

And I'm going to die.

Tears began to roll down her face as she awaited his next move. Why wasn't he doing anything? The others hadn't waited this long to kill off their classmates, why should Ryan be any different? As the boy spoke, however, Cassie just felt even more terrified. Shaking her head violently, she cried out, her voice almost inaudible through sobs.

"N-no! I'm n-not playing, I had to hide away... they're all killing each other. Everyone kills each other here...and now you've come to kill me!" Her voice was shrill as she shook violently. "Please don't kill me! Please, Ryan!!"

His words seemed to be of little concern as they washed over her. The knife in his hand told her all she needed to know. Her face moist with crying and her eyes still watery, she cowered away from him further, still terrified he was going to kill her.
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Taken aback by the girl's words, Ryan instantly lowered the knife. He had not planned on using it against her, of course. Only if she attacked him first. Obviously, Cassie Webber was not in the position to be doing any attacking. He felt almost guilty for scaring her the way he had. It finally dawned on him that she might have been watching him the entire time. What a psychopath he must have looked like, walking toward her so slowly, wielding that knife like he was dead set on gutting the next thing that sprung out of the bushes. Ryan was still terrified that this was all just a schtick that Cassie was putting on. If he let his guard down, she might pull out a knife, or a gun, or worse...

Finally, his conscience got the better of him, and he knelt down, hoping that he would not appear so intimidating now that they were at eye-level. Sighing lightly, he tried to formulate the words in his mind to speak to the girl. He was still wary of her, he had failed to notice the baton that was her designated weapon laying beside her. Had he known that was all she had, he may not have been quite so uneasy. Unfortunately, he was currently completely oblivious to that fact.

"Listen, I'm not going to kill you. I don't... want to kill anybody. I was afraid that you were playing, that you were going to try to kill me. This..." he gestured toward the knife he had lowered, "is just for precautionary reasons. I'm sure you understand. I don't want to die. I didn't know who you were or what you had, or even if you were still sane. It seems like everyone in this place has lost it..."

Ryan quickly trailed off. God, he was ranting. What a time to rant. He shook his head lightly, inwardly laughing at himself. Maybe Cassie really was not playing. Maybe she was just scared, just like him. He had hidden from someone he presumed to be a deranged murderer not long ago, and she was just doing the same. Could he really blame her for being scared, for not wanting to die? He knew how she felt, all too well. It was a precarious position to be caught in. At least Ryan could try to fight, try to take the other person down before they could end his life. Cassie, on the other hand, looked rather frail and fragile. She did not exactly have that advantage, now did she?
Swoosh*

Post by Swoosh* »

Cassie looked at Ryan through watery eyes as he knelt down. So this was it... she closed her eyes tightly, awaiting the fatal blow. She hoped it wouldn't hurt, that it would be quick... all the things anyone would wish when in that situation.

"Listen, I'm not going to kill you."

She opened her eyes and looked straight into Ryan's eyes as he spoke. He wasn't going to kill her? His words seemed to make sense now that she was slightly less fearful, and wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, she spoke up, her voice a lot more quieter than the shrieks from before.

"Really? I mean, really?" She sniffed, still watching Ryan cautiously. She wasn't entirely convinced until he put his knife down. Still trembling, she allowed herself a small smile.

It was quite funny, thinking about it. Ryan had been just as scared as she had been, yet he had handled the situation a lot better than she had. She had just hidden away and cried. Still, she had good reason to suspect everyone, after all, everyone she had seen on the island so far had either killed or been killed. Maybe she could trust Ryan though.

"I know what you mean," she said. "I just wanted to hide away. I can't believe what's happening to all of us..."

Trailing off, she laughed a little nervously. "Sorry about... well. Me thinking you were gonna kill me. I've just seen... I've seen a lot. I don't really know who to trust anymore."

Tucking her hair behind her ears, she looked at Ryan again, much more seriously this time.

"You really aren't going to kill me, right? I can trust you?"

((thinking about it, Cassie had a serious case of the novel!Kotohiki going on there...))
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Now, Ryan completely dropped the knife, letting it fall to the ground. God, I hope that wasn't a mistake. I hope she doesn't lose it and try to slice me open with my own weapon. It was a symbol of trust. Perhaps she would get the picture. It was funny, in retrospect, just how paranoid they both had been, and to some degree, still were. He smiled faintly, then ran his hand through his hair out of nervousness. Even though this was an awkward situation to start with, Ryan had never really had much contact with girls, so it made the situation all the more foreign and strange to him.

"I guess I... fell asleep here, or something. When I woke up, I was laying in the middle of a big field, and some announcements were being made. The only thing I really remember is that over fifty people had died. Some of them were our classmates, and some of them were killed by our classmates."

He nodded in the direction of Ash Holmes and Sophie Maraschino, as if to support his statement. It was not like his statement needed any support, she had seen them, how could she have missed them? Ryan shrugged lightly. While he appeared indifferent to the dead bodies around him, in reality, it troubled him deeply that people would be so cruel and ruthless. Everyone wanted to survive, himself included, but would he really have to resort to that to do so? Scalping people and drowning innocent girls?

"I guess I jumped to the conclusion that everyone here was a killer, and that they were all coming for me. Apparently, I wasn't too far off in that assumption. Anyway..."

Ryan could not help but laugh. Why should she not trust him? Then again, was it really in her best interests to do so. More important to him, he could not help but wonder if he was making a mistake. An ally might be a good thing to have in this place, but it would be hard to ever completely trust anybody. Still... it would be good to have someone else around. Maybe then he could rest and not have to look over his shoulder every five seconds for some mass murderer lurking around. Cassie, though... was she really such a great ally? She looked sort of... weak. But, she was smart. At least, that is what Ryan had always heard about her. Besides that, what kind of self-respecting man would just leave her here to die?

"Yes..." Ryan said confidently, "You can trust me. I'm not going to hurt you. I would've done it already if I'd planned on it, don't you think?"

He flashed her a faint grin. The smart aleck remark he had just made was a bit uncalled for, he decided, but it was too late to do anything about it now. Besides, if he had planned on killing her, he would have already done it. Or at least, he would have tried.
Swoosh*

Post by Swoosh* »

Cassie watched the knife fall to the ground, and her mistrust lessened further. Ryan didn't appear the sort to be playing (although that too was something she couldn't be sure of). Looking at him, she listened to his story. It didn't sound far from her own.

"I know what you mean. I saw them all get killed." She nodded towards where the corpses were. "Some of the deaths were so ruthless, I just thought everyone had lost it entirely..."

Shuddering slightly, she noticed she had stopped shaking. Well, that's something I guess. She listened to Ryan talk again, and smiled at how similar his views on the game seemed to be to her own. It would have appeared, however, that he had already had a personal brush in with some of their classmates. Maybe that's why he had been so exhausted.

Looking him up and down, Cassie quickly weighed up her situation much like Ryan had. True, perhaps she still couldn't trust him. This whole thing could be an act for a cruel kill. That thought hadn't been cast from her mind, neither had the idea that he could just be using her as a 'meat shield'. On the other hand, two people could be better and safer than one. It would give her someone to talk to, to be scared with, to try and survive with. Also, he was a guy, and perhaps he could look after her a lot better than she could herself. At Ryan's last remark, she raised her eyebrows, still smiling. He hadn't changed a bit since he'd been on the island, and she was grateful.

"I guess so," she said, laughing slightly. Reaching over to where Ryan had dropped the knife and picking it up, she held it back out to him.

"And you don't wanna go around on an island like this one without that," she smiled at him. Perhaps this would be a fatal mistake, but she felt she more or less trusted the boy, and hoped that he felt likewise about her. Adopting a more serious expression, however, she looked into his eyes directly. This question would have to be asked now or it would annoy her for the rest of her time on the island.

"When you came here, you were running... who were you running from?"
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

Taking the knife from her hesistantly, Ryan silently thanked that Higher Power that she had not tried to lunge at him with it. Perhaps this could work out after all. He was grateful that she was not a complete fruitcake like he had presumed the others to be. A thought crossed his mind, and Ryan found himself contemplating whether the people on the island had killed out of bloodlust, or out of a will to survive. Some of them had to have been pure bloodlust... like murder of the scalped corpse over there. That was overkill, even if they had wanted to survive. Ryan had been spared seeing Ash Holmes's tongue, and had he done so, it might have been sent running in the other direction.

"When you came here, you were running... who were you running from?"

Who was I running from? Heh... that's a good question.

"Well," Ryan started, "I don't... know. See, after I heard the announcements, I took off, looking for somewhere to hide. I came across this house that looked a little worse for wear, and I went in, thinking that maybe it had been abandoned. When I was in there, someone came running up. I tried hiding but in the end, I had to get out of there, so I escaped... and I didn't look back. Never saw who it was, but the way they were creeping around weirded me out."

What an answer. He had been of no help at all, really. Then again, how could he possibly tell her who he had been running from when he did not know himself. She knew the situation on the island. Everyone here was in dire straits, and Ryan truly believed that the majority of the island population was by this point deranged and sadistic. He ran for the same reason that she hid. He did not want to die. Not here. Not like this.
Swoosh*

Post by Swoosh* »

Well, that was great. Cassie had hoped he would be able to tell her about some of the other killer classmates, who to avoid and who was playing, but he knew even less than she did.

"I see. You did the right thing, I would have probably cried and got killed, as you know!" she said, laughing softly, brushing her hair out of her face. She was beginning to feel more and more guilty about mistrusting Ryan at first, but then again, in this game such a reaction was only natural. But he was a nice guy.

Looking around, she thought about all the players she had seen. "Ash... he got his tongue ripped out before getting scalped." Her thoughts raced back to that moment, it was only a couple of days ago but it seemed like a lifetime. She had never been so scared in her life, but somehow she managed to stop herself from screaming out.

"I didn't recognise the killer, but he seemed insane. There are some serious players running around. We really need to be careful."

Moving to a kneeling position, she glanced out from behind the rock. There was no one there, but Cassie couldn't help but feel slightly vunerable. She pushed herself somewhat haphazardly to her feet, her legs had been more or less inactive since she had fled to the rock on the first day and were somewhat sore. Shaking them about slightly, she winced at the soreness and looked down at Ryan.

Cassie was still clinging onto the hope that she could survive the game and go back home, but now a whole new dilema had been opened up for her. She had been told that there could be only one winner. One. Single. Uno. There was no room for a pair to survive. Biting her lip, she thought about the possibility of it coming down to just her and Ryan. Would she be willing- or even able- to take his life if she needed to? No. She would see this through to the end with him, there was no way she could ever kill anyone. Besides, she would cross that bridge when they came to it.

If they came to it.

"Speaking of which... do we have some sort of game plan, or are we just going to stay here all day?"
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

A game plan? Yes, Ryan had a game plan. Well, at least, he did have one. Things had changed a bit since he had made the decision to play back in that little house. It was there that Ryan had tried to throw away his faith, to become a ruthless killer in order to survive. By some turn of events, he had met this new girl here, and now, Ryan had almost proven to himself that he was incapable of killing another human being. At least, he was incapable of killing one who showed fear or sorrow. Had he truly been the ruthless killer that he had tried to become, he would have killed Cassie on sight. Now, it seemed they were sticking together.

"Well..."

Standing up, Ryan folded his arms across his chest. A contemplative look formed on his face as he glanced at his daypack a few yards away. He continued to talk to her as he slowly made his way over to it. At this point, Ryan was not sure if he was telling her his gameplan or if he was still trying to convince himself of it.

"The way I look at it, we have three options on what we're going to do. We can play, we can try to escape, or we can not play, which will ensure both of our deaths. I'm sure others have tried to escape, but really, Cass, it's a pretty ignorant idea. These collars have microphones, and we're on camera every second. Hell, we're being broadcast back to the United States. Thinking that we can formulate an escape plan without the terrorists knowing is nothing more than wishful thinking. It just won't happen."

By now, he had made it over to his daypack. Unzipping it, he removed what appeared to be a map. It must have been of the island. Scanning over the different places, Ryan contemplated on where to go next. They could not just camp out on the Eastern Shore forever. First of all, what if the patrol boats got suspicious? Besides that, staying in one place was almost asking to run into somebody. Ryan was almost positive that the other kids would be moving around, unless they were scared to death and had boarded up in one of the buildings on the island. Without looking up, he continued.

"As for not playing... there were people whose names I heard in the last announcement that I would have never believed could kill anyone. I really don't think that's an option either. Eventually, we'll get sucked in, just like everyone else has. As for playing... I'm going to level with you here, Cass. When I was in that house, I did some thinking. I decided that I was going to play, because I was sure it was the only way I could survive. I still think it is. But, you know something? It's easy to tell yourself you're going to kill others. It's something entirely different when the opportunity presents itself."

Sighing a bit, Ryan shook his head. He reached up, rubbing the back of his neck. He could feel the metal of the collar as his fingers rubbed against it. That collar was an everlasting reminder of the control that the orchestrator of this demented little game had over them.

"When that person came into the house, I didn't attack him. I hid in the closet until I thought the coast was clear, then I ran. I ran like a coward. Even here, when you made that noise. I was sure you were just another deranged psychopath. I was sure I was going to have to kill you, but I just couldn't do it. Even if you had lunged at me, if you had tried to kill me... I don't think I could have brought myself to use this."

He held up the knife lightly, twisting it around a bit. Ryan did not know what point he was trying to make. In fact, this speech sounded very familiar to the mental struggle he had had with himself earlier. Just what was he trying to say, anyway? Was he trying to convince her that they had to play the game? If that were the case, he was doing a very poor job of it.

"I guess... I don't really know what I'm trying to say, here. I don't want to play this game, but I don't think we're going to leave this place with our innocence in tact, if we leave at all. I'm not trying to make you lose all hope, I just want you to know that we don't have much of a choice here. Either way..."

Raking a hand through his hair, his eyes fell on the ground. Then, he glanced back at the map. Where should they go? Buildings were a definite no. Yes, shelter was always a plus, but in all likelyhood, everyone else who was on this island was looking for shelter as well. Those places would be packed to the brim with people fighting it out to hide there.

"We can't just stay here. I really think any of the buildings on this island are out of the question. From personal experience, I know that people here are seeking shelter. I mean, even in that little ragtag house, someone else came along, and it was torn to pieces. Didn't even had a front door. Most likely, any of the buildings we could go to will have already been claimed by someone else at this point, and I don't think it's worth one of us dying trying to fight some kids off for shelter."

He paused a moment, his eyes tracing over the map again. There were a lot of outdoors areas, but there was no guarantee that they would be any safer. This shoreline was the perfect example. There were probably more dead bodies lurking around here, and who knew where the killers had gone off to. Outside, there was no shelter, and they were completely exposed. Certain places were out of the question. The large, open expanse on the map that must have been a field, for instance. It was far too risky. They needed somewhere to go that was secluded enough to protect them, not so secluded that it would attract the attention of a lot of people, but not out in the open, either. He shrugged his shoulders lightly.

"I just don't know. We need to find somewhere that not many people would go, but in the same breath, it can't be something that's a dead giveaway to our location, ya know?"

Walking back through the sand, back toward Cassie, he finally came to a stop beside her. He showed her the map as he continued to scan it for somewhere that would be safe.

"What do you think?"
Swoosh*

Post by Swoosh* »

Cassie nodded thoughtfully, drinking in all the boy said. He'd obviously given this a lot of thought. No wonder he had a reputation for being smart.

She shrugged lightly. "I don't know," she said as he showed her the map. She briefly thought of possibilities as where they should go, glancing over the map quickly, but something else he had said was worrying her more. She looked up at him, her voice was barely above a whisper.

"Ryan... do you really think we should play?"

She twisted a curl of hair around a finger, a habit she always did when she was thinking. Each of Ryan's possibilities... she had considered the option of escaping a while ago. She wasn't the strongest swimmer but she could have tried. She was actually seriously considering trying the day Ken Mendel had met his end, putting any thoughts of swimming to safety permenantly out of her mind. That path only came to a dead end, literally. If they were going to get off this island alive, then he was right. Not playing would be like suicide. If it had been anyone else but Ryan who had found her then she would be nothing more than a name on Danya's list. They would just be sitting ducks. They couldn't risk not playing.

But to play... that would be to kill each other, to take part in the barbaric slaughterings she had spent five days watching. Could she really bring herself to do that? Cassie wasn't a naturally violent person by nature, and even if she had been given a more efficient weapon than her baton, she seriously doubted she could have used it against Ryan, regardless if she was being threatened or not. Perhaps she was still leaning heavily on the hope that maybe, just maybe this was all a bad nightmare, but Cassie couldn't imagine herself playing at all.

But she couldn't imagine herself being killed by a classmate either. So now she had to choose between killing or dying. She really was trapped. Looking at the floor miserably, she sighed and answered her own question.

"I guess you're right, really. I don't want to play. I really can't see myself hurting anyone else, but if we have to, we'll fight. We'll just have to hope that we don't run across anyone we know. I'd feel a lot easier...fending off a stranger than a former friend." She stumbled mid-sentence, still not able to think of herself killing anyone. "As for your suggestion, I agree. If we stay here, someone's bound to notice us, seeing as there are two of us now..."

She glanced down at the floor, the spot she had been hiding, her temporary home. Her stomach felt slightly weighed down at the thought of leaving it; it had been her protection since the game's start but now she was made to fend for herself, much like a butterfly leaving it's cocoon. Looking back at the map, she gave it another quick glance over.

"I really don't know. There are a lot of places I'd like to avoid," she said, imagining them both walking through an open field and getting shot several times from afar. Pointing at the map, she nodded.

"How about here?" she said. "The bathrooms. I doubt many people would really go there, unless they felt prudish... I mean, it wouldn't be the first place I'd think of going if-" She was about to say 'if I was in their shoes', before remembering that she was in their shoes now. It was her shoes. She had to stop thinking of this as someone else's story. She wasn't an observer anymore, she was a player. Gulping slightly, she took a deep breath before speaking again.

"I mean, it wouldn't be my first choice," she said. "But then again, I'm sure you've got a better idea than me..."
Megami†

Post by Megami† »

The question Cassie had barely whispered had caught Ryan off guard. Did he really think they should play? Of course not. The only problem with not playing was that they were pretty much doomed from the start if they sat there and did nothing. It would be the equivalent of giving up before they had ever begun. Still, it was so hard to convince Cassie of that, because for Ryan, he was still having difficulty convincing himself that it was the right decision.

"Do I... really think we should play?" he repeated quietly, "I don't think we have a choice, Cassie. Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on killing everyone I come across in cold blood. That plan went out the window the moment that guy stepped into the house back there. I can't do it. Thing is... I'm not going to lay down and die. If... if someone attacks me, and I have to defend myself, then so be it. I'm not going to lay down and die in this place, I have far too much to live for."

At that moment, Ryan inwardly bit his tongue. Perhaps he should not have said that. The last thing that he wanted to do was give Cassie the impression that he was out to save himself and himself only. In the end, of course he was, and so was she, but he could not have her not trusting him. Not this early, at least.

Ryan frowned slightly, almost unnoticeably, as Cassie mentioned that she thought the bathrooms would be a good place to fortify themselves in. Then again, if he was looking at the place in disdain, how many other people had probably done the same? Perhaps Cassie was on to something. The bathrooms were shelter. If it rained, they would have somewhere dry to recuperate. In the same breath, they also had somewhere to fortify themselves, and more likely than not, the place only had one way in and out.

"It's an idea. It's inside, but not somewhere that I could see people wanting to hide out in. Not ideally, anyway. One way in, one way out. At least, I hope that's the case. So... is that where you want to head?"

Smiling somewhat, he nodded his head. He would leave the decision up to her. It seemed as good a place as any. Besides, how many people would actually want to make use of the bathroom facility? Especially on this island, with this game going on. Maybe, just maybe, it could turn out to be a prime spot.
Swoosh*

Post by Swoosh* »

Suprised that Ryan had agreed with her idea, Cassie smiled and nodded.

"Well, I think it's the safest place for now. And besides," she said, laughing a little, "I haven't had a proper wash for days. I could really use a sink or two."

Gripping her baton in her hand and hauling her rucksack over her shoulder, she glanced around. The beach was just as deserted as it had been before Ryan arrived, permitting their safe departure. Taking a long look at the numerous bodies scattered around the shore, Cassie took a deep breath.

These bodies were only the beginning. If what Danya had told them was true, nothing less than 50 students would be lying around, dead and decomposing. She had been sheltered (literally) from the true brutality of the game, witnessing only a fragment of the gore and horror from afar. Now she would have to venture out and get stuck in.

And she was terrified.

Still, Ryan had proven that hiding away was ineffective; she really had no choice. It was like pulling off a plaster- the longer you put off doing it and the slower you tug at it, the more painful it'll be. Just do it quickly and get it over and done with. And that was what she had to do. She couldn't just hide away. She breathed out and looked at Ryan.

"Right then, shall we?"

((continued in ze Bathroom Facility (The End of an Act), that should be interschtenk, two of my people are in the same place...))

Return to “Eastern Shore”